Main

Video Games
Films
Cartoon
Comics
Music
Advertisements
Merchandise
Features
Interviews
Miscellaneous

Interactive

Forums
Mailbag
Fan Fiction
Fan Art

Contributors

Hosted Sites

DD II Shrine

 

 

 

Double Dragon Mysteries

By Scott "Space Ace" Oliverson
Contributor

Chapters 1-3 | Chapters 4-6

Part 4

     Before Ken and Aleu could start toward the Flume Plume, Billy, Ryu, Jimmy, Li, and Ninjara stood in their path, blocking their way.

JIMMY LEE
     No you don't foolish mortals.
NINJARA
     We are not taking another step until you get out of those silly wetsuits.
KEN MASTERS
     But if we remove our outfits, all our snacks will get wet.
CHUN LI
     You're not allowed to take food or drink on the rides.
ALEU
     Okay, you win. Come, let's use that cabana over there.

     They walked over to a large wooden shed, opened the door and stepped inside when a voice stopped them.

UNSEEN VOICE
     Hey!

     An old man wearing coveralls and carrying a toolbox approached them, looking angry.

KEN MASTERS
     Sorry, we didn't realize this cabana was taken.
MECHANIC GLUMLEY
     Cabana, my eye. This is the pump house for Ocean Land attraction #8: the Whirlpool.  Authorized personnel only.
NINJARA
     Sorry, sir.  Our friends were looking for someplace to change.
MECHANIC GLUMLEY
     How about trying the locker rooms at Happy Sally Land across town?  That's where I'm headed.
JIMMY LEE
     But don't you work here?
MECHANIC GLUMLEY
     Not since about an hour ago, when Tippy Torrance fired me.  Blamed me for the crazy goings-on at the Whirlpool.  I told her I didn't do it, but she said I must take responsibility. <Looks sadly>  I've been working at Ocean Land since it opened.  I helped build some of these water attractions.  Now someone's going around messing with the water pressure and I get fired.
CHUN LI
     Maybe if you speak to Tippy...
MECHANIC GLUMLEY
     She doesn't care about anything but her reputation.  She wants to fire me, so be it!

     As Mr. Glumley turned to leave, a piece of paper flew out of his toolbox.  Aleu picked it up and started laughing.

ALEU
     Hahahahahahaheheheheheeh!
RYU HOSHI
     What the heck are you laughing at, mascot?
ALEU
     Look! <Holds up picture>
KEN MASTERS
     Bwa-hahahahahahahahaah!  Now that's funny!

     The picture was of Tippy Torrance with some of her teeth blacked out and mustache drawn on.  Angered, enraged at another insulting photograph of Ms. Torrance, the vixen snatched it away and shouted.

NINJARA
     Mr. Glumley, I think you dropped something.
MECHANIC GLUMLEY
     All right, I got carried away.  It's a free country! <Snatches it back>

     Then he stormed away without looking back, leaving the gang staring after him in shock.

NINJARA
     Good grief, I've never seen anyone so angry before, but not to insult Ms. Torrance with a stupid picture?!!
BILLY LEE
     Let's forget about Mr. Glumley and see what's happening at the Flume Plume.
KEN MASTERS
     Great idea.
JIMMY LEE
     After the two of you change out of those silly outfits.
ALEU
     Yes sir.

     After the shewolf and karate master of California changed, the gang walked through Ocean Land to the Flume Plume, the tallest attraction in the park where they found Torrance waiting for them at the main entrance.

BILLY LEE
     Is everything okay here?
TIPPY TORRANCE
     Seems to be, a couple kids say they saw something strange running behind the ride.  I checked it out and could not find anything.  Just a prank, I think.
ALEU
     Does that mean the Flume Plume is open?
TIPPY TORRANCE
     Prepare yourself for the wildest ride in the world!  This is usually the longest line in the park.  But so many people have left, you won't have to wait.
JIMMY LEE
     We'll meet you at the Surfer's Lagoon.

     Halfway toward the attraction, Kenny stopped.

KEN MASTERS
     Hey, Ninjara!  Catch!

     He tossed something into the air that landed with a SPLAT at the lady fox's feet.

BILLY LEE
     What was that?
NINJARA
     Aaaaaaack, gaaaack, groooooss! <Makes sick faces>

     At her feet was the splattered remains of peanut butter-banana-chocolate chip sandwiches, the so-called lunches of Ken and Aleu.

CHUN LI
     So, what is it?
NINJARA
     Aleu and Ken's lunch!

- Part 5 -

     The winding pathway to the top of the Flume Plume took Ken and Aleu through a fake forest.  Redwood trees towered over them.  Chirps and squawks of forest critters filled the air.  In fact, both Ken and Aleu could no longer hear the sounds of Ocean World.

KEN MASTERS
     I don't know about you, Aleu, but this is too creepy for me.
ALEU
     Yeah, creepy.  Where is everybody?
KEN MASTERS
     Probably hanging ten with Ryu, Jim, Bill, Li and Ninjara at the Surfer's Lagoon.

     As they neared the top of the forest path, a roaring sound filled their ears.  It was the waterfall portion of the Flume Plume ride.  Human and wolf walked into a small pavilion where an Ocean Land employee was stationed.  Greeting his passengers he pointed to the log-boat bobbing next to the loading dock platform.  After helping Kenny and Aleu into the log, strapping down the safety bars he entered the pavilion where the control station was located to begin the ride.

OCEAN LAND EMPLOYEE
     Have fun!  Caution, you will get wet at the bottom.
ALEU
     Oh? <Shocked>  Oh no.
OCEAN LAND EMPLOYEE
     Don't worry, it'll be fun.  If you're scared of heights, don't look down.
KEN MASTERS
     Thanks for the warning, dude.

     Then the log-boat began making its way up the chain-lift to the top of the waterfall.  By the time they neared the upper portion both human and wolf took a glance down to see how high they were and both gasped in stunned disbelief!

ALEU & KEN
     HUUUUUUUUUUUUUH?!! <Mimic Doc Brown's famous cry>

     Then, without warning the log came to a sudden stop.  It was as if the attraction broke down for no apparent reasons.

ALEU
     Now what? <Confused>
KEN MASTERS
     Dunno, I hope nothing went wrong on the ride.  Let's sit patiently and wait till it starts again.
ALEU
     Okay...<Shrugs>
UNSEEN VOICE
     ATTENTION, OCEAN LAND!!!

     At that precise moment an unseen voice boomed like thunder from out of nowhere, startling both Ken and Aleu who whipped their heads around to see a frightening blue creature standing atop the Ocean Land water tower behind the pavilion.  From what they could see, the creature looked almost like the nasty-scaly gremlins from the GREMLINS movies with evil red eyes, pointed ears, white Mohawk-style hair atop its head, etc.

STRIPE THE GREMLIN
     I AM THE KING OF ALL GOBLINS & GREMLINS! <Waves a long metal scepter>  OCEAN LAND IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED!
KEN MASTERS
     Man, I've got a 'Good Grief' inside of me that's dying to escape.
ALEU
     Whatever happens, don't do it.
STRIPE THE GREMLIN
     LEAVE NOW, AND YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED.  IF YOU DARE DEFY ME, REFUSE TO OBEY MY COMMAND, I WILL CURSE YOU ALL, FOOLISH MORTALS!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

     Then the goblin-gremlin disappeared down the side of the tower.  And just at that same instant that the mysterious creature vanished from view, the attraction came back to life again as the water began roaring, pushing the log-boat over the Big Drop of the waterfall, as Kenny and Aleu began screaming all the way down!

KEN & ALEU
     AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGH!!!  HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!

     After whooshing down several turns and dips the log-boat hit the bottom of the chute sending an enormous geyser-spray of white water into the air as the auto-brakes activated, slowing the boat to a gentle stop.  Upon hearing the screams, Ryu, Li, Bill, Jim, Ninjara and Tippy ran over to investigate what happened.  Tippy helped a soaked Ken and Aleu out of the boat, both human and wolf dripping wet with water running down them.  Aleu began shaking herself dry while Ken stood there, his clothes stuck to his body, hair plastered across his face, water dripping down him.

TIPPY TORRANCE
     Are you two alright, I thought I heard you scream.
KEN MASTERS
     Awesome, dudette.  First time I experienced a water-ride like this one. <Brushes wet hair out of his eyes>  But we had a close encounter with the supernatural.
RYU HOSHI
     A what?  You saw a what?
ALEU <Finishes shaking herself dry>
     A goblin, I mean, a gremlin-like creature threatened us at the top of the attraction!  It warned everybody to leave now and not be harmed or cursed forever if we dare defy it.  Then, laughing evilly the creature disappeared.
JIMMY LEE
     Oh, wow. <Rolls eyes>  Just what we need, our first encounter with the supernatural.
TIPPY TORRANCE
     I'm glad you're not hurt.  Now someone has shut off the water at Lazy River.  Things are falling apart all over the place.

     Even as she spoke, a large throng of visitors ran screaming in panic; parents, grandparents, children, teenagers all heading for the EXIT and the parking lots to escape the wrath of the unknown gremlin.

TIPPY TORRANCE
     Once word leaks out about this goblin, I'll be ruined!  Ocean Land will have to be closed.
BILLY LEE
     Not if we have anything to say about it.  You handle crowd control, Ms. Torrance.
CHUN LI
     And we'll take care of this goblin-gremlin for you.
TIPPY TORRANCE
     Thank you, my friends. Bye! <Then she hurries away>

- Part 6 - 

BILLY LEE
     Okay, gang, we've got to act fast if we want to help keep Ocean Land open.  I say we split up and look for clues.
KEN MASTERS
     I say we split up and have some snow cones.
JIMMY LEE
     When we came over before, Ms. Torrance said two kids saw a strange creature run behind the attraction.  I have a hunch they saw this goblin on its way to the water tower.
BILLY LEE
     Good point, bro.  Take Ken, Aleu, Ryu and Li with you.  Jim, Ninjara and I will start with the Whirlpool, where the trouble first happened today.
NINJARA
     Let's meet back at the Lazy River by the front gate.  Whoever gets there first can look for clues.

     Behind the Flume Plume entrance, Li and Hoshi found a gate with a NO ADMITTANCE sign on it.  The Japanese karate master opened the gate and peered inside.

RYU HOSHI
     This is the way, come on.
CHUN LI
     Okay, you're the boss.

     Hoshi led Ken, Aleu and Li down a path to the water tower.  At the base of the enormous structure, Ken and Aleu noticed a ladder that reached up the side of the tower.  They looked up and froze.

CHUN LI
     Don't be such cowards.  It's all mind over matter.  Pretend you're climbing a ladder to change a light bulb.
KEN MASTERS
     The only light bulb you'd change by climbing this ladder is the one inside the sun.
ALEU
     How about I look for clues down here, like this.

     The shewolf began sniffing along the ground until a piece of paper got stuck against her nostrils, she shook her head several times, swiped her paw against her nose to get rid of the paper.

RYU HOSHI
     Good job, mascot.  It looks like part of a picture of someone.  But why would the goblin have something like this?
KEN MASTERS
     That really doesn't matter, what matters is that now Aleu and I can get some snow cones.
ALEU
     Right!
CHUN LI
     Maybe later, dudes.  Let's take this clue over to the Lazy River.  We'll look around there while we're waiting for Billy and others.

     The four walked back into the water park.

RYU HOSHI
     Good grief, this place has really emptied out.  I don't think there's anyone here but us.
KEN MASTERS
     And one gruesome goblin.

     They found the Lazy River and looked inside. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple inner tubes lay scattered along the empty river's cement bottom.

ALEU
     Where's the river?
KEN MASTERS
     I don't know, mascot.  But I don't know that those inner tubes are making me hungry.
RYU HOSHI
     How can inner tubes make you hungry?
ALEU
     Because they look like giant colorful doughnuts, yummy! <Licks her lips>
CHUN LI
     Please keep your mind on the clues.  Now I'm going to look around over there.
RYU HOSHI
     I'll go with her.  You and Aleu see if you can find any doughnuts - I mean, clues over here.

     Kenny and Aleu walked to the empty river's edge and looked down.

KEN MASTERS
     Why, there's nothing here but many colorful, glazed, powdered, inner tubes. <Giggles>  Hey, what-the?

     He jumps into the empty riverbed and picked up a pair of sunglasses, similar to those worn by Neo, Trinity, Morpheus, Naiobi, Ghost, Agent Smith in the MATRIX films.  He slips them over his eyes.

KEN MASTERS
     Someone left in such a hurry they forgot their sunglasses, mascot.  Here's another pair.
ALEU
     Cool! <Slips on another pair>

     Even as they admired each other, both felt their feet getting wet.

ALEU
     What the heck?  Is the river flowing or starting up again?
KEN MASTERS <Looks around>
     FLASHFLOOD!  THE GOBLIN'S TRYING TO DROWN US!

To be continued.