Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by RenegadeDragon »

I agree with you guy's on this one but im still being a little optimistic about it. i was really hoping for a home port of double dragon ios but more fleshed out for a download release. maybe some unlockables to go with it like different skins for the enemies and add on side quest or something. i bought river city tokyo rumble for 3ds thinking the sprites would be updated but they were not. :cry: natsume published and released that... hopefully these games are to see where the markets at, to get a bigger budget for that double dragon game we want and deserve but only time can tell. have you guys seen wild guns reloaded for ps4? i would've loved to have something like that done too super double dragon.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Just as an FYI, I recenlty discovered additional games when searching for Double Dragon IV on the Playstation Network.

A company called Hamster has released the arcade versions of Double Dragon and Double Dragon II on the Playstation Network under the "Arcade Archives" collection, only playable on the Playstation 4. They have very limited additional features but are faithful to the arcade versions of both games. Their version of Double Dragon is probably a welcome addition for Xbox Live users who did not have the chance to download it before it was pulled off the Xbox network.

Also, a company called Monkey Paw has released the the Playstation version of Double Dragon (the Neo Geo Port) to the Playstation Network under the PSOne Classics collection, only playable on the Playstation 3. As a warning, this is not an official US Release- it appears the game is simply a data dump of the Japanese version, complete with Japanese text and no way to translate to english in the Options- it's essentilaly just an emulated version of the Japanese game with no region codes included. Personally, I don't read Japanese so this game was not a welcome purchase.

As to Double Dragon IV, I remain optimistic. We'll know in just a few weeks whether it's a sequel worthy of our beloved franchise.
May you live hapilly forever...
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

FYI- Arc System Works released some additional game details here:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... tory-more/

and here:

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/double-drago ... characters
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

And here is an updated official video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJM21W2 ... tion=share
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

nice!! they even posted some moves/tecniques in gameplay and interviews with the creators on the website. come to find out two of them were only 8 years old when the original was released. :shock: by the way does the game come out tonight?
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Yes- I believe it does! Exciting times...

Update:

It is available for purchase and was downloaded successfully. I Have seen the intro and some options before I was called away.

Right off the bat, I have to say- based on what I've seen so far, I got a very strong "home brew"/"BoR mod" vibe and I didn't like it at all. Hope this impression will improve in the actual gameplay.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

I finished story mode. It's a little early for April Fools, but in any case, this isn't funny. When does the real Double Dragon IV get released!?

SERIOUSLY!!!?!?! What the bloody hell is THIS!? Sub-par graphics, choppy animation, irrational/suicidal AI, cheap hits, painfully screeching sounds, uninspired level designs, backgrounds that look like they were done at amateur night in a cut rate programming scoool, a nonsensical plot, poorly remastered music, unusable weapons, sluggish controls, repetitive "traps", tedius unlockables, and a story ending which is so bad it has to be experienced to be believed... I'm having a hard time finding anything they did right.

It's like they tried to recreate the good elements of several other Double Dragon games and failed spectacularly.

It's not "Wanderer" bad, but in the NES vain, it makes Double Dragon III look like a masterpiece by comparison.

It hurts to write this. I wanted to love this game, but it feels like a total slap in the face. It killed a piece of my childhood.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

I watched two complete playthru vids on youtube by different players, as well as a playthru of the tower mode.

I'm trying to make sense of what Arc Systems was going for here. I can definitely see where reviews calling it a weird rom hack fan game come from.
The game's graphics seem to be a bizarre schizophrenic mixture that alternate between pseudo 16-bit graphics, lazy digitized graphics, and a lot of British ZX Spectrum graphics/colors
mixed in with DD1/DD2 NES graphics. I actually kind of like the look of the first level, as the desert canyon setting looks cool for a DD stage. The Tokyo stage for what it is, looks cool.
(tho weird seeing a flat screen tv in the bar since this is suppose to be set in the 1990 timeframe)

The vibe I get is that it almost felt like a fan game that was a patchwork of different young fans stitching together random graphic styles and intentional NES glitchy hiccups(I hope it was intentional) A lot of people hate wink and nod self-aware/4th wall breaking in-jokes, but maybe some would better explain the unexplainable randomness of the graphic, play mechanic and other choices. (like what the "Turtles Forever" animated movie did from 2009)

I know Im getting caught up on the graphics, and I havent actually played it myself, but I still cant figure out why they chose the aesthetics they did, just seems wildly inconsistent.

...of course, I guess the graphics could have been worse :p
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

For what it's worth its a good game. After im done completing it im going to cleanse myself by playing DDA or ios version. :lol: Its not that bad of a game but i would much rather play that zeebo version of double dragon 1 then double dragon IV but they are both mediocre to the ones i just mentioned. Starting to think of it its really based off the nes series of the game so if i was just to judge by those standards alone i would say it's a great job but with some flaws like not being able to run, some stages not having any kind of depth to them or just being very dull looking. Boss's looking like regular goons. The knife just bounces off the opponents head... :lol:I could keep going but it is what it is, you cant expect too much from a 7 dollar game i guess.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Overall, I'm less than impressed with this one.
RenegadeDragon wrote:you cant expect too much from a 7 dollar game i guess.
That pretty much covers it, but seriously, for the 30th anniversary, I expected better.

I will say that I did like [SPOILER ALERT] the inclusion of Sonny and DD1 Jimmy. Those were mark-out moments, for me.
mechapop wrote:I watched two complete playthru vids on youtube by different players, as well as a playthru of the tower mode.
Is there an end to the tower mode? I thought it just went on and on. How many levels are there?