Double Dragon '87

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Double Dragon '87

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

http://youtu.be/18PzfkdhVxc

This game is being developed for M.U.G.E.N. oddly enough, but looks extremely faithful to the classic arcade gameplay. Apparently you can play as any character, the stages are fully interactive like the arcade, and many of the characters have new techniques. (Notice Williams' kick and stomach punch pulled directly from NES mode B!)

This looks extremely promising. I may have to download M.U.G.E.N. all over again just for this.
Play2win
Black Belt

Re: Double Dragon '87

Post by Play2win »

Oh wow does that look insanely good. They added a black Linda, gave Abobo some awesome moves, and kept the feel of the arcade game perfectly intact! It's almost too good to be true!!!
May you live hapilly forever...
Dan Druff
Purple Belt

Post by Dan Druff »

I misread MUGEN and assumed the game was made under the Beats of Rage engine, which would be impossible because Beats of Rage can't make anything other than Streets of Rage clones. A fighting game engine would be ideal to power a brawler; look at Onesyota and Kariyume. Fighting game people can debate all they want whether M.U.G.E.N. is better than 2D格闘ツクール2nd engine or vice-versa.
Last edited by Dan Druff on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes losing is more fun than winning.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Play2win wrote:Oh wow does that look insanely good. They added a black Linda, gave Abobo some awesome moves, and kept the feel of the arcade game perfectly intact! It's almost too good to be true!!!

Basically what you said.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Dan Druff wrote:I misread MUGEN and assumed the game was made under the Beats of Rage engine, which would be impossible because Beats of Rage can't make anything other than Streets of Rage clones.

That's totally a false statement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTtUQPNbXg

and for your informatio, only advanced users can make a "streets of rage clone", because, if you do't knoe, to make the grab and throwing from Streets of Rage is a pretty hard work, just a few openbor mods have it (bare knuckle vacuum, rocket viper)
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Dan Druff
Purple Belt

Post by Dan Druff »

Die_In_Fire wrote:That's totally a false statement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTtUQPNbXg

and for your information, only advanced users can make a "streets of rage clone", because, if you don't know, to make the grab and throwing from Streets of Rage is a pretty hard work, just a few openbor mods have it (bare knuckle vacuum, rocket viper)

I stand corrected then. I've played the original Beats of Rage and a few mods after that, and I've always been able to get away with the delayed infinite like Streets of Rage. If the engine really has improved that much, perhaps I should play again.
Sometimes losing is more fun than winning.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Open BOR has definitely come a very long way recently. It can very closely mimic more complicated beat em up game play, like that of the Technos beat em ups.

My only gripe is that the engine still can't handle more complicated platforming elements like ladders or stairs very well, if at all. I know that this may seem like a minor nitpick, but those 2 elements can greatly impact and enhance level design, and environmental play mechanics for a good beat em up.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Dan Druff wrote: I've played the original Beats of Rage and a few mods after that, and I've always been able to get away with the delayed infinite like Streets of Rage.

you have a little confusion here: Most people think that the original BOR can make Street of Rage clones... well the truth is that it CANNOT... It was NEVER a clone of Streets of Rage, because if you play SOR series, you will realize that the enemy AI, the grab/throws of the playable characters, and in overall the gameplay mechanics, are much advanced on Streets of rage games than on the original BOR.
The black point of BOR is that most mods are the same with different sprites, and for me these mods are boring. Same happens with lot of Openbor mods (there's really A LOT of very bad mods out there), but there's a lot of openbor mods with totally different play mechanics, just check Contra mod, Gijoe mod, the above mentioned Rockte Viper, Bare Knuckle Vacuum, Knight and Dragons Endless Quest... just check the youtube gameplay videos and you'll see what I mean ;)

to make Street odf rage gameplay mechanics in BOR is impossible, to make it in Openbor is hard, but possible.

MysteriousWarrior wrote:My only gripe is that the engine still can't handle more complicated platforming elements like ladders or stairs very well, if at all. I know that this may seem like a minor nitpick, but those 2 elements can greatly impact and enhance level design, and environmental play mechanics for a good beat em up.

Totally agreed with this, for me ladders and slopes are very important. It is possible, but require advanced knowledge on the engine, so far I cannot do it. But check at 2:13 or 2:14 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN0l7AOe6gA
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

All of this talk about Open BOR and I haven't even had a chance to start my project yet. I have played a few games and enjoyed a lot of them. It seems like you guys have a deep understanding about it.
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »