Your ideal Double Dragon Sequel

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Play2win
Black Belt

Re: Your ideal Double Dragon Sequel

Post by Play2win »

Billy Lee wrote:From our discussions it looked like a beat em up. Hopefully his ideas didn't change even though a good DD fighter never hurt either.

It never hurt but maybe it's just the purist in me- it just feels like it would need to be a Beat 'em up to be a true Double Dragon game.
May you live hapilly forever...
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

In all honesty we need an advanced beat em up similar to the impact the original Double Dragon made. Double Dragon created/revolutionized a new and special genre that was like no other. Now while a lot of games both 2D and full scale 3D has great game play, Double Dragon needs to add something special and unique to it.

In some ways games like Shenmue, Batman, and Sleeping Dogs advanced in ways beat em up games should grow but there is room for more. Sure some people would argue that they are more of action games; however, those games have a beat em up system and elements. The just added additional content that added variety and longevity to their games. If we are talking a true full scale Double Dragon game it honestly needs to adopt some of these elements along-side making a great beat em up. I have played and beaten all of these games which originally drew me to some ideas of what a huge scale Double Dragon game should be. My original post was a gist of what it could be either in 2D or 3D but I didn't write in detail some other things that would make a revolutionary game.
maxman
Yellow Belt

Post by maxman »

Of course. Billy is right. Mine will be a Beat 'Em Up. I'll just be using ROTD's Billy and Jimmy as main for my project as it is to pay homage to the Double Dragon series. You know what? I will have some original characters but that doesn't mean I will sprite from scratch. I did post my project thread under fan games section.

Off-topic:
I think there would be someone that would grab our original characters from other DD fan games and use them in the game except DD characters. LOL It's just my imagination that would turn out funny.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

maxman wrote:Of course. Billy is right. Mine will be a Beat 'Em Up. I'll just be using ROTD's Billy and Jimmy as main for my project as it is to pay homage to the Double Dragon series. You know what? I will have some original characters but that doesn't mean I will sprite from scratch. I did post my project thread under fan games section.

Off-topic:
I think there would be someone that would grab our original characters from other DD fan games and use them in the game except DD characters. LOL It's just my imagination that would turn out funny.

Actually its possible. At one point I was on the old official Midway forum. They did an interview with Ed Boon and he said that he occasionally glanced at the forums to see exactly what people wanted. I did notice that a lot of my ideas for Johnny Cage was used in the new Mortal Kombat game even his Shadow flip kick. It could have been a coincidence, but in all honesty I have to say I believed him because he every had the Shadow Flip kick in any other game. You never know when a someone may be developing a Double Dragon game and look to this forum for guidance. The chances are slim, but possible.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

If only the sick maniacs behind Wanderer of Dragons had bothered to listen to the fans... Or gone to programming school...
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Billy Lee wrote:You never know when a someone may be developing a Double Dragon game and look to this forum for guidance. The chances are slim, but possible.

I wish the guys from DD Neon would have take a look on this forum before making that cheesy cartoonish shit
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Yeah sometimes its a huge problem. Some failures in games have been because of time deadlines. Others have been because of lack of improvement. And then you have the people that just plain don't care and want to make a quick buck. Like I said, its hard to enjoy the newer Double Dragon games when you see full scale 3D games like Sleeping Dogs have a good feel and fighting style that perfect for Double Dragon. As far as 2D/2.5D it is just as disappointing when you see a cheesy style like DD Neon take the place of a good port like DD IOS. I would have love to see another 2D/2.5D style of DD IOS with a control. That would have worked well on XBOX Live or PSN because the feel and the characters fit.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

I have never played Sleeping Dogs, Shenmue or that type of games (would like to), so I don't get it when you guys refer to grapple or couter from those games.
I played a little Kenka bancho for the psp only.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Okay to give you a great idea of what I mean by a full scale 3D Double Dragon, I will post a few videos to help.

First I will start with Sleeping Dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXSKL7vzQo

This is the fighting tournament section that you can participate as a bonus in the game. From this you can see how the system works with multiple enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-abIfiATM

In this video, around the 1:30 mark you can see the fighting, counters, and environmental attacks you can use in the game. Like I said, for a full scale 3D I think if properly done right this would be good in both single and online multiplayer.

Now for Shemue

Shenmue is an older game that had a great 3D fight and feel with vibrant characters. In this scene is the 70 man brawl. While the game is one player, Ryo has an assistant helping him. Like I said, with a full scale online Double Dragon game if done perfectly, this would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCF7lTrD8Mc

Now keep in mind that these games aren't pure beat em ups. Sleeping Dogs is a sandbox game like GTA but places a huge emphasis on Martial Arts elements. Shenmue is more linear, but is half beat em up/half RPG. Still, If your talking 3D Double Dragon would have to go deeper into it's system. The story must be properly developed more as well as the beat em up system but as you can see in these two games, the look and feel is possible to make a great Double Dragon game. Double Dragon has the signature characters and you can make the first Double Dragon one story deeper if built in a new format. Some changes would have to be made, but you can actually create the events from the original Double Dragon story especially the Nintendo version.

2D will always be great, but if done in 3D they need to take this route and not the route of DD Neon and Wander. The only problem we had with 2D/2.5D versions are developers making sloppy concepts like DD Neon and Wanderer.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Billy Lee wrote:Okay to give you a great idea of what I mean by a full scale 3D Double Dragon, I will post a few videos to help.

First I will start with Sleeping Dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZXSKL7vzQo

This is the fighting tournament section that you can participate as a bonus in the game. From this you can see how the system works with multiple enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG-abIfiATM

In this video, around the 1:30 mark you can see the fighting, counters, and environmental attacks you can use in the game. Like I said, for a full scale 3D I think if properly done right this would be good in both single and online multiplayer.

Now for Shemue

Shenmue is an older game that had a great 3D fight and feel with vibrant characters. In this scene is the 70 man brawl. While the game is one player, Ryo has an assistant helping him. Like I said, with a full scale online Double Dragon game if done perfectly, this would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCF7lTrD8Mc

Now keep in mind that these games aren't pure beat em ups. Sleeping Dogs is a sandbox game like GTA but places a huge emphasis on Martial Arts elements. Shenmue is more linear, but is half beat em up/half RPG. Still, If your talking 3D Double Dragon would have to go deeper into it's system. The story must be properly developed more as well as the beat em up system but as you can see in these two games, the look and feel is possible to make a great Double Dragon game. Double Dragon has the signature characters and you can make the first Double Dragon one story deeper if built in a new format. Some changes would have to be made, but you can actually create the events from the original Double Dragon story especially the Nintendo version.

2D will always be great, but if done in 3D they need to take this route and not the route of DD Neon and Wander. The only problem we had with 2D/2.5D versions are developers making sloppy concepts like DD Neon and Wanderer.

Yes- I agree with most of what you are saying. Since Double Dragon was the true pioneer in this genre, and the developers of games like Sleeping Dogs and Shenmue very obviously borrowed heavily from Double Dragon for the fighting sequences, it's all the more frustratin that no one has done a 3D Double Dragon the right way.