NES Butcherd Double Dragon...

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

spike
White Belt

NES Butcherd Double Dragon...

Post by spike »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hear to rip dd2 nes
but I do have a beef with people trying to compare arcade to nes - they are completely different games.
DD2 nes never felt like a true DD game to me - like the trap room stage, the contra-like claws, the train engine (but I love fighting on top of moving trains/trucks in later ports)
I want to point out a couple things on this article
http://doubledragon.kontek.net/dd2shrine/comparison.htm

I can't speak for the release dates of the arcade games - I spent a lot of time at the arcades and I was extactic when DD2 came. It was not released too early after the first - arcades used to change games all the time unless it was a big money maker. DD1 was around for a while, then there was nothing until the second one came. I loved both of them.
I think it's here say to claim DD2 arcade bombed.

Another beef with that article is "Marion is suddenly alive at the end"
I suppose it's open for interpretation (because there is no story line in the arcade) but since there is no mention of bringing her back to life, one can only assume she is dead and the "tear drop" makes more sense.
this author is confusing the story line of nes dd2.

This is the same "Shadow Warriors" gang we're fighting so is it that huge of a deal that they used the same people with new looks - I thought the updated enemies were cool

Another small nit pick issue with this article is instead of saying "The music here is that of Mission 5 (Forest of Death) on the NES" it really should be the other way around
the arcade came first.

I don't want to come across as angry - but it's clear when I read some of the double dragon stuff is that people never/rarely went to the arcade and are more familiar with the console versions; then suddenly check out the arcade years later on mame and chastise it because it's not like the nes version.

It was never about martial arts until NES
The names people associate with DD are from the nes instruction book - Billy Lee, Jimmy Lee, Marion, Abobo, etc.
There were no names is the arcade - just hammer and spike in DD1
They were unnamed in DD2 most likely because the nes port had already changed their names and the nes port also swithced spike to shadow warriors - so is the red "Jeff" reflect this??

Just my 2 cents
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Re: NES Butcherd Double Dragon...

Post by Die_In_Fire »

spike wrote:Another small nit pick issue with this article is instead of saying "The music here is that of Mission 5 (Forest of Death) on the NES" it really should be the other way around
the arcade came first.

I don't want to come across as angry - but it's clear when I read some of the double dragon stuff is that people never/rarely went to the arcade and are more familiar with the console versions; then suddenly check out the arcade years later on mame and chastise it because it's not like the nes version.

I'm so agreed with this.
People should always consider that the arcade came first.

One think I don't like from other websites or some youtube reviews, is how people criticize those classic games based on today's standards, not reflecting or mentioning how some of those classics made such a huge impact at the time.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

I have to agree about people comparing both games when they are really different; however, I do feel that the NES version was a true Double Dragon. I liked the Contra-like traps because they added an element to the game. I also have to agree that Marion died at the end of the arcade. I never saw her as being alive. I also like what the NES versions did as far as story. I feel it’s one of those things that added longevity to the game.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Billy Lee wrote:I also have to agree that Marion died at the end of the arcade. I never saw her as being alive.

Marian died at the beginning! but we all know that :)

the image at the ending is a "photo" showing the brothers and Marian together when she was alive, and then the tear as a charming touch.
the proof that is a photo, is that it has a frame, and it says "furicolor" instead of "fujicolor".
So there's no chance to think that Marian was alive at the end. I'm surprised that the reviewer missed that.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Die_In_Fire wrote:
Billy Lee wrote:I also have to agree that Marion died at the end of the arcade. I never saw her as being alive.

Marian died at the beginning! but we all know that :)

the image at the ending is a "photo" showing the brothers and Marian together when she was alive, and then the tear as a charming touch.
the proof that is a photo, is that it has a frame, and it says "furicolor" instead of "fujicolor".
So there's no chance to think that Marian was alive at the end. I'm surprised that the reviewer missed that.

I meant the beginning, but basically I don't see how anyone could think she survived in the Double Dragon 2 arcade.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

This identifies only one of the fundamental inconsistencies of the plots of the arcade Double Dragon games vs. the NES. Remember that Marion wasn't even in the Arcade Double Dragon 3.
May you live hapilly forever...
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт