Double Dragon shrines at Arcade Quartermaster website!

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Double Dragon shrines at Arcade Quartermaster website!

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

I don't know if anybody's seen the Arcade Quartermaster website, but I recommend you check it out. It's essentially a series of collected tributes, to classic games from the heyday of the arcade. Including, of course, Double Dragon.

Both DD and DD II have shrines, in the BEU section (both from the same "Double Dragon" heading, but then you just click on the arcade flyer you want), and DD Neo Geo even has its own area, amoungst the fighting games.

Of course, there's plenty of other great games at the Quartermaster, but I figure Double Dragon fans will certainly appreciate what's been done with these three. I did!
mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon shrines at Arcade Quartermaster website!

Post by mechapop »

Haha, very cool. Is this a 90's site? Or a newer site made to look like those freebie portal geocities type of 90's fan sites? Either way I dig it.
Also cool he found the names to all the Bad Dudes and Strider characters(Im a huge fan of both) Wish he had an entry for Narc, Ninja Warriors and Eswat though:)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

It's new, with updates flowing.

I agree about those games you mentioned, particularly Narc.

Narc actually struck me as Double Dragon with guns! Besides, Max Force and Hit Man actually do something which I could never understand why Billy and Jimmy wouldn't. As I stated in the 10-year anniversary article:

We also couldn’t figure out why our characters chose to take the whole journey on foot when we had both a car and a helicopter at our disposal. ... Only later, in NARC, could we finally get in our red car and do what we had wanted to – run the enemy drones over without bothering to engage them in combat.

It certainly would've made Double Dragon easier!

Narc also has a colourful cast of characters (great alliteration!), more befitting of a BEU than a Shmup. I'd say the closest similarity is Abobo to Joe Rockhead.

Anyway, feel free to contact Shadi (link on the site) and let him know what you think!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:It's new, with updates flowing.

I agree about those games you mentioned, particularly Narc.

Narc actually struck me as Double Dragon with guns! Besides, Max Force and Hit Man actually do something which I could never understand why Billy and Jimmy wouldn't. As I stated in the 10-year anniversary article:

We also couldn’t figure out why our characters chose to take the whole journey on foot when we had both a car and a helicopter at our disposal. ... Only later, in NARC, could we finally get in our red car and do what we had wanted to – run the enemy drones over without bothering to engage them in combat.

It certainly would've made Double Dragon easier!

Narc also has a colourful cast of characters (great alliteration!), more befitting of a BEU than a Shmup. I'd say the closest similarity is Abobo to Joe Rockhead.

Anyway, feel free to contact Shadi (link on the site) and let him know what you think!

He got back to me rather quickly. See I like this. I was deeply involved in gaming underground fandom by the early 90's, mostly via fanzines in the mail and compuserv/AOL/BBS and later geocities/angelfire sites. I know in recent years a lot of young and older diehard gamers got industry jobs, be it writing for tech sites/paid blogs/indie game apps/game design for major publishers/etc. But I've always enjoyed more of the shadows. In a way I'm still that kid many of us were, way back when when ya could make instant friends at the arcade over a multi co-op game and a slice of pizza. I love those old school sites(and am glad LCM Strider mainframe, Contra Database and this site retains that older look)

Very cool seeing a fellow fan of NARC. I spoofed NARC at the 1:50 mark in this online cartoon short I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5I_WBxnEg
What was so thrilling about NARC was, here it was...late 1988/early 1989. Most games in arcades had a great color palette for what it was worth, yet Data East , Taito and Konami pretty much
had a lock on every game that came out. And I loved all those games, but then out comes old school Williams with this hyper violent opera of adult themes that we just hadn't seen before.
I mean being ten years old and you encounter the infamous level four of NARC, insane. I wish they had made a sequel to NARC(I absolutely hated that 2005 remake), but Im glad they made a sequel to my other favorite Williams game(Smash TV)

Btw, did you ever see the NARC cartoon? It was part of the 1990 kids show Power Team. The cartoon had Max Force, Mr Big, Spike Rush and Joe Rockhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CUq0_W6xc

I know some lads have been trying to get the rights to make fan made yet official Bad Dudes sequel. I'd love to make an official NARC sequel(or heck a Ninja Warriors 3)
I think a modern day NARC could be pretty fun. I'd keep the 80's theme but make it even crazier.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »