RetroGamer #103: The Making of Double Dragon

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Steve Halfpenny

RetroGamer #103: The Making of Double Dragon

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

...How they pulled this off I'll never know but there ya go. Next issue is a must buy for all DD fans! I'll report some findings once I get a copy...
Last edited by Jonny2x4 on Thu May 24, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny2x4

Re: Kishimoto DD interview in the next issue of RetroGamer..

Post by Jonny2x4 »

He has been interviewed by Gorges Florent of Pix'n Love two years ago (I have the issue myself as a matter of fact), so he's not a hard person to track down (he even has an e-mail on his official website). Kishimoto's authorized biography is scheduled to be released in France next month.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoshihisa-kishi ... 2918272426
Swainy
Brown Belt

The making of Double Dragon

Post by Swainy »

This months Retro Gamer (issue 103) has a feature called The Making Of Double Dragon and they talk to Yoshihisa Kishimoto about the game.

The ZX Spectrum remake that I have been working on gets a nice mention but there are a few other bits of interesting stuff. Double Dragon mainly came to be because during the last few days of Kunio Kun the development team suddenly realised that it would be fun if the player could pick up and use the enemies weapons but they didn't have time to add that feature to the game.

Also Kishimoto goes on to explain the slow down flaw in the game and that there was about a dozen versions of DD before the final version was released.
Last edited by Jonny2x4 on Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny2x4

Re: RetroGamer #103: The Making of Double Dragon

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I've merged Halfpenny's and Swainy's threads, since they were both about RetroGamer #103. Anyway...

Double Dragon mainly came to be because during the last few days of Kunio Kun the development team suddenly realised that it would be fun if the player could pick up and use the enemies weapons but they didn't have time to add that feature to the game.

Also Kishimoto goes on to explain the slow down flaw in the game and that there was about a dozen versions of DD before the final version was released.

Nice. Even though Kishimoto mentioned some of that stuff in the previous interview he had with Pix'n Love (and the anecdote about using weapons in Renegade is also mentioned on his site), it's still nice that such info is now widely available to English readers.

Do they talk about the other games in the series too or just the arcade original? Kishimoto did work in all three arcade and NES games after all.
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Every game in the series was mentioned in the article but Kishimoto himself only really talks about Renegade & Double Dragon and his iOS game.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Man I so need to get this. And hmmm, to think DD may have just been another Kunio game(no offense to fans of that series, but there's so many games as it is)
I am surprised even Japan never got another "Renegade" game in arcades. Target Renegade and the gosh awful "Renegade III" unofficial sequels aside, I believe
the only true proper Renegade sequel was Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun for the SNES...however, it's a bit of a chore and not at all in the style of the first one. Plays
a bit more like RCR. I LOVE Shin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, which I guess is a more proper sequel to RCR.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Double Dragon was planned as a Kunio-kun sequel, but Kishimoto didn't want to spent too much time working on a separate overseas version like he did with Renegade, so he made a game that could be marketable everywhere.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

It's a good interview, some really interesting bits and bobs and a lot of stuff you'll all probably know. There's a lot of Double Dragon love going on in this issue so yeah, it's definitely worth picking up and I know it will be available in some US stores.

Edit - Before I forget, the Dojo is also credited!
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I got a hold of the issue a few days ago just to read interview. It's informative, but a bit barebones. I guess it's because I already have the Pix'n Love issue that had a similar Kishimoto interview that went a bit more in-depth, but I wish they would've asked Kishimoto about the NES versions and the sequels rather than merely acknowledging they exist with generic comments while focusing entirely on the original arcade game. Still, the photographs of Kishimoto in his youth (including one of him standing in front of a Renegade cabinet while on a trip in the U.S.) made it worth it. I recommend it.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Looks like there'll be a follow-up issue dedicated to Renegade.
http://blog.retrogamer.net/general/doub ... -reads-rg/