Double Dragon Neon

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Jonny2x4

Re: Double Dragon Neon

Post by Jonny2x4 »

It seems Mr. Kishimoto is indeed supporting the game's development and isn't just promoting the game on his site. Maybe this will be good after all.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/dou ... agon-neon/
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

:lol: i dont know man after i seen the spaceship shaped like a pagoda take off into the air i pretty much gave up hope lol
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

RenegadeDragon wrote::lol: i dont know man after i seen the spaceship shaped like a pagoda take off into the air i pretty much gave up hope lol

Same here. I really hope it turns out well but after seeing that... Who knows? lol
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Still, I think this is the first Double Dragon game since Return that had Kishimoto's involvement in some way. I don't think he was involved in anyway with the Neo-Geo fighting game or any of the other Million-era games, even though he was given a special thanks in the Japanese version of Advance.

Anyway, It seems that both of the generic enemies are Williams after all. Judging by the Digital Trends article, it seems there will be skin-swapped variants for some enemies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0cYTjqGX_w
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

There's no doubting that there are some nice ideas and it shows some promise, I just don't like the idea of taking the guys out of their natural environment. The space thing really bugs me, hopefully the gameplay will still be good.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I personally hope there will be actual enemy variety this time and that the skin swapping isn't just a cheap method to create an illusion of variety by reusing the same three or so character model for everyone. One big problem the Double Dragon series always had for me was the fact that you rarely fought more than two enemies of a different type at the same time. The worst offender was Return, where they made Williams and Roper into head-swaps and deprived them of their individuality (a step back from DD2). The NES version of DD3 also had all the enemy grunts fight with the same fighting style, except for the ninjas. The GBA version did remedy this a lot.
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

it doesnt really bother me with the skin swapping. i mean it been done in every beat em up made to date, not every enemy is gonna be different from the other, what really urks me is that i have a feeling this game is gonna be poop. Abobo looks like turd, skullmaggeddon is just not relevant in anyway neither is the space journey. Two thing's i like about this game and its not even major is marion getting punched in the stomach and the dragon logo on the back of the jacket's i always wanted too see something like that in the double dragon game maybe because of the nes cover art.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

I get why the space thing would annoy Swainy because it bothers me too. As does a few other things and I can explain why.

One of the main reasons of Double Dragon's appeal was it could have happened in the real world. You controlled an actual human being, fighting seemingly real people (okay, Abobo was a bit bigger) amongst familiar settings and it was easy to relate to (even though I have yet to see an actual all out brawl in the street). Keep in mind that this was released when shoot em ups were still standard, based in a fantasy space world with giant aliens and "futuristic" music and spot effects. Hell, I love(d) R-Type but DD was a nice change of pace.

I betcha the people making this weren't even around or capable of walking and talking in '87.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I rediscovered Zombie Revenge (a 3D beat-'em-up by Sega) and frankly it looks way better than Double Dragon Neon in its current state despite the fact that Zombie is a Dreamcast games from 12 years ago, whereas Neon is being made for the PS3/Xbox 360. So it's not even a matter of whether the game is in 2D or 3D, it's just that Wayforward sucks at designing 3D characters and settings.
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

johnny2x4 you should play dynamite cop on dreamcast. that game did a pretty good job at bringing 3d too beat em up its a shame sega didnt carry on with that series. smh :(