Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

Dan Druff wrote:http://wireless.ign.com/articles/115/1154925p1.html

I bought this the first day, and I'm not loving it. I actually agree with IGN about this game. As much as I wanted to like the game, I can't deal with the controls. Bad controls and cheap enemies make for a very unpleasant gaming experience. I find myself fighting the controls more than the enemies. I lose more lives falling off places than I do getting bodied. The game is not a total loss to me. If you remember my posts from the previous forum, I am a fan of credible female opponents. Even though the female enemies disappear after the fifth stage, this is the first game with not one but two female bosses. I wished Lavis could have been the perverted boss instead of Burnov, but this is direction of the new Double Dragon not taking itself as seriously as it used to. I could just be salty because I still haven't beaten the game yet.

That's indeed an issue if the controls tend to be a chore, if not downright frustrating. Playing through the new Contra "Hard Corps Uprising" I kept thinking how amazingly perfect the controls were; yet if a game has piss poor controls(ie: Cyber Shinobi for Sega Master System) than a fun experience can be null.

Truth be told I have a big problem with touchscreen controls. I hate and refuse to play ds games where using the stylus to maneuver is required. I loathe the experience of SFIV on the iphone as nice as it looks, due to the controls. Im glad at least the control overlay for DDi is in its own separate plane as to not obstruct the play field. I just hope they release DDi for the XBL or DS. Shoot, I would gladly shell out $15-$20 for a physical ds version.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Seriously cool: Analog joystick like game pads for the ipad.
http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php

Im gonna get DDi on my friends ipad when he brings his over with these bad boys
Rockman
Green Belt

DD:i Character Profiles!

Post by Rockman »

Finally had time and was able to get around to screen capping and uploading all the Double Dragon:iPhone Profiles! I also have the movesets if you guys are interested though a lot of ppl share the same moves. Just let me know! Not much else to say here that the profiles wont, so check em out!

Enjoy!! And Dojomaster, feel free to use these for a Double Dragon iPhone/iPod section if you ever open one!
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Very nice! I for one would definitely be into seeing some movesets if it's no trouble.

Based on what I've seen and read, the silver haired mystery guy could possibly be Willy's nephew, rather than brother. Just speculation though.

I almost forgot to ask, are there any other characters besides the Lees that are fun or interesting to play, Rockman?
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman: Thanks so much! Been waiting to see these data cards, had no idea there were so many characters! Noticeably absent are DD series regulars Roper, Jeff and Steve...but it seems there's a lot of characters similar to them.

25 playable characters, very cool.
However, if we include non playable:
Marian and Willy's brother/nephew/???

Again, thanks so much! 25 characters is quite a lot!
It seems like they indeed are counting a lot of palette swaps as separate characters. A lot of people misidentify Abobo as DD NES's Bolo, but I always wondered if there
were perhaps indeed different names of the different versions(like the green version) It's also interesting how there are both white and black Ropers.

Also curious if you think there could possibly be more than 25 playable characters? I'm guessing you had to beat it 23 times to unlock all of them? Would be interesting of Brizo releases an updated
version, given many companies seem to do that for both 2d and 3d iphone games.

Wait a second...they keep spelling Deena as "Dina" in the data of her female co-horts. And there's a lot of talk of a "Frank", but Frank seems MIA...hmmm. I wonder if maybe they changed his name?
Also did you notice any exclusive Zeebo characters carried over to this one?

One more thought...re: DDZeebo, I really like the character designs for some of the characters on there, especially the exclusive ones. Too bad they didn't make it over to this one. That highway level looked pretty cool, as well as the freakier baddies. I noticed in DDi Lavis uses a sword to break a wall, but she never uses it during battle. Yet, the anime girl from DDZ holds her sword the same way...I wonder if they are both the same character?
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

mechapop wrote:Rockman: Thanks so much! Been waiting to see these data cards, had no idea there were so many characters! Noticeably absent are DD series regulars Roper, Jeff and Steve...but it seems there's a lot of characters similar to them.

25 playable characters, very cool.
However, if we include non playable:
Marian and Willy's brother/nephew/???

Again, thanks so much! 25 characters is quite a lot!
It seems like they indeed are counting a lot of palette swaps as separate characters. A lot of people misidentify Abobo as DD NES's Bolo, but I always wondered if there
were perhaps indeed different names of the different versions(like the green version) It's also interesting how there are both white and black Ropers.

Also curious if you think there could possibly be more than 25 playable characters? I'm guessing you had to beat it 23 times to unlock all of them? Would be interesting of Brizo releases an updated
version, given many companies seem to do that for both 2d and 3d iphone games.

Wait a second...they keep spelling Deena as "Dina" in the data of her female co-horts. And there's a lot of talk of a "Frank", but Frank seems MIA...hmmm. I wonder if maybe they changed his name?
Also did you notice any exclusive Zeebo characters carried over to this one?

One more thought...re: DDZeebo, I really like the character designs for some of the characters on there, especially the exclusive ones. Too bad they didn't make it over to this one. That highway level looked pretty cool, as well as the freakier baddies. I noticed in DDi Lavis uses a sword to break a wall, but she never uses it during battle. Yet, the anime girl from DDZ holds her sword the same way...I wonder if they are both the same character?

Movesets coming, and Frank is there, he's between cindy and kent (maybe you didn't let the page fully load?). There are quite a few typos such as Lavis being called "him" and the Deena/Dina one that you noticed.

Also on the facebook page the dudes at Brizo claim that Abobo is the same Abobo with the mohawk and that he just decided to shake it off lol. And yeah in the DD:A the green Abobo's name is Mibobo so yeah there are a few different names for the different colored ones. As far as the nephew thought goes, Im still pretty sure he's the brother (aka Jim) and not the nephew if only because Deena resembles the Fat duck king boss from the Zeebo version (he has dancing attacks and is also rocking the big headphones) and even though he's not in this game I would think that he would be her brother.

Either way I think Lavis is the same girl from Zeebo but besides her I haven't seen any of the zeebo guys crossing over...

I'm gonna upload some Zeebo playthroughs soon, I didn't post it here but my zeebo was giving me problems but I've since had it fixed by a friend of mine in Brazil (yeah, I know crazy lol) and it should be here next week according to the shipping! So those are coming soon! In the mean time I'll get started on the movelists.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Here's the move lists! Like I was saying some of the people are rocking the same moves so I'll post them accordingly.

Billy Lee:

Jimmy Lee:

Abobo:

Burnov:

Chin:

Deena:

Lavis:

Willy:

Williams, Brett, Frank, Kent:

Cindy, Linda:

Aaron, Brown:

Alfred, Greg, Clive:

Erica, Isabella, Libby:

Harry:

Ted:

Alrighty and those be the moves! Enjoy!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Yeah it seems like a lot of duplicate movelists, but just the fact that they included so many unlockable characters it makes up for it. Ha, I didn't know Green Abobo had an official name(least in DDA)

My friend brought over his ipad 2 with the Fling analog joystick attachment. Holy crap, I cannot emphasize how amazing this thing is. Once you stick it on, it feels like it's literally built into it and controls like a charm. It sucks the ipad2 costs so insanely much, but Im hoping to commandeer it for a couple hours and order up DDi and try it out myself

(I can imagine being able to pull off some sick ass combos and moves with this thing)
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Going over pix, I noticed shout outs to Technos Japan and Taito(I can't help but think "Technos Japan" whenever I think Double Dragon) on the boxes. Not sure what the other
words or acronyms mean. Since I was a kid in the 80's, I always noticed hidden stuff like that in games(like "NAMSHIT" written on the wall in Bad Dudes)

Anyone notice any other hidden references?

Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Once again, fantastic posts, Rockman!

I agree with mechapop about a couple of things: The non-playables and absent classic characters.

a) Non-playables: I was wondering about those laughing bikers, in the background of level 1. I kept thinking they would do the Capcom thing, and step out of the background and into the fight, but they didn't.

I'm guessing they're revamped versions of the bikers from DD3 arcade, level 1. So if we hopefully see a sequel to DDi, I guess they'll be the revamped Jim's Neo-Shadows. Although to be honest, Kent actually bears a closer resemblance, to the thin DD3 thugs.

While we're talking about characters with familiar designs, is it just me, or does Libby look like Maki from Final Fight 2? And Aaron like Andore and Abigail, also from Final Fight?

b) Classic Absentees: I'm all for new characters, but when you're reviving a classic, like Double Dragon, I feel that you need to bring back all the old ones first. DD Advance was guilty of this, too. There's nothing wrong with Hong, but where are Abore and Oharra?

So too, with DDi. Even with the character designs Brizo used, they should have given them the classic names:
Clive should have been Steve.
Brett should have been Roper.
Harry should have been Li.
Aaron could have been a revamp of Bolo, Abore, Oharra or even Carlem.
Either Greg or Ted should have been Gibson. Greg is the only bald, non-boss character (even if he is just a Clive/Steve palette and head-swap). Ted could be a revamp - he looks pretty much like Gibson, and the mohawk doesn't really detract from this.
Cindy should have been Daby (although I gotta say, I like the fact that they used both of Linda's arcade designs, as different characters. And she's in a rock band with Abobo and Burnov? Now that's a performance I'd like to see! What do you suppose they'd be called?).