Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Dan Druff
Purple Belt

Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by Dan Druff »

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

Hmm, I had a feeling we'd be getting *something* DD related. That "HD" XBL DD for 360 looked horrible to me, so Im excited about this.

But without further adieu, here is the trailer with gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LLvrgGLUek

and the pix:
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-a ... 36706#main

It's pretty much the DD Zeebo characters on top of DD Zeeboish redoing of the original levels, which is cool in its own right.
lots of screens of ddi. Looks like in a way, we're getting a port of the Zeebo game, or a sequel to it in some strange way.
One of the features ported over will be unlockable characters!!!

Though, if I had to complain: 1) That this wont be coming to ds or other smart platforms(like android)
2) I'd prefer a real sequel, but again very curious with how this will turn out and play

If anything, hopefully this will lead to bigger and better things if enough people take interest. Maybe a remake of DD2 or a whole new game?

Also notice at the bottom of the page, Million still holds the copyright on the game. I'm kind of surprised tho that Aksys isnt bringing this to the ds, since they've done a lot of games for that.

I take it this game was entirely made by Brizio, as it'd have those slick amazing anime graphics had it been programmed by Aksys.(ie: think Blaz Blu)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Just checked the iphone facebook page and they actually said it's going to show up on android soon!! (Yay for me either way since I have a g2 and an iphone lol)

Also somebody else seems to have asked about using the wiimote app that I was talking about in the other thread..

Can't wait to get to work to show my friend, he's gonna lose it!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:Just checked the iphone facebook page and they actually said it's going to show up on android soon!! (Yay for me either way since I have a g2 and an iphone lol)

Also somebody else seems to have asked about using the wiimote app that I was talking about in the other thread..

Can't wait to get to work to show my friend, he's gonna lose it!

I like at the end of the trailer, the emphasis on 2 players. That is just way too cool. this also seems to be the fastest of the DD series. I played through DD1 and 2 arcade with my friend the other night, and it's stunning how slow DD1 is. DD2 is a bit faster, but it's not really til Final Fight do you see the modern template for lightning quick fluid side scrolling brawlers come into play. I also noticed watching the video again that unlike Streets of Rage port, the controls arent on the play screen(bad bad decision for SOR iphone)

If this is gonna be available for the ipad, and you can use the wiimote for it...it'd be about the closest one could come to playing it on a home console.

...I wonder though, if they'll just call it Double Dragon Android, as I'd still be calling it Double Dragon Iphone:)
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

There's also the wiimote app for the android too and to be honest it's probably a better chance of it working on android. The reason being that the wiimote app in the case of the android basically makes it so that you can map the buttons on the wiimote and/or classic controller to the buttons on the keyboard. Since the iphone doesn't have a keyboard if the wiimote app isn't compatible then we'd only have the android version which would more then likely have keyboard support and viola, we're in there!

Also don't need an ipad to play it big, remember the iphone and a few android phones have tv-out!

Check out some of the youtube videos already of people playing iphone and android games on their tvs!

I'm sooo excited for this! Even if it ends up being touch screen only it's still a new DD game that you can play on your television!! So awesome!
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

This is really great news. Thanks for posting this you guys. I've posted the information on our front page so that everybody will know about it.

Now, getting down to business. Who's going to review this game for us, because I don't have an iPhone or any other smart phone, so I'm shit out of luck...
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:There's also the wiimote app for the android too and to be honest it's probably a better chance of it working on android. The reason being that the wiimote app in the case of the android basically makes it so that you can map the buttons on the wiimote and/or classic controller to the buttons on the keyboard. Since the iphone doesn't have a keyboard if the wiimote app isn't compatible then we'd only have the android version which would more then likely have keyboard support and viola, we're in there!

Also don't need an ipad to play it big, remember the iphone and a few android phones have tv-out!

Check out some of the youtube videos already of people playing iphone and android games on their tvs!

I'm sooo excited for this! Even if it ends up being touch screen only it's still a new DD game that you can play on your television!! So awesome!

Aw! I had forgotten about tv out. The only issue I could see is, if one is using the touchscreen, if you're watching the game via your tv it seems it'd be hard to precisely know where your fingers are moving on a flat lcd surface. I'm curious what other features it'll have. I think they should bring back the Vs. mode, which hasn't been seen since 88'. Also a time attack mode would be great(loved the time attack mode and exclusive levels for Final Fight CD) But yeah it is rather exciting, aside from DDZ I was wondering if we'd ever see a new DD game stateside(other than download ports/hd retouches on PSN/XBL)
I'm also wondering how many characters from the Zeebo game will be making it over, would be great to play as that huge green Abobo with the unlockable feature. The fact this has the hurricane air juggle is quite bad ass(my friend and I refer to the DD2 hurricane kick as "twirple twirple", our odd phonetic sounding of the move)

I was thinking how cool an official "Double Dragon 5" would be, or a "Neo Double Dragon"...perhaps taking place long after the first games. I could see them battling on flying fortresses in the sky,
atop giant mecha tank platforms in a desert, battling through a post apocalyptic city(ala the Contra 3 SNES level) while all still keeping the Zeebo/iphone gameplay.

DojoMaster wrote:This is really great news. Thanks for posting this you guys. I've posted the information on our front page so that everybody will know about it.

Now, getting down to business. Who's going to review this game for us, because I don't have an iPhone or any other smart phone, so I'm shit out of luck...

I know I'd love to see a full review of both DD Zeebo and iphone by Rockman. From what he says he's already poured a lot of time into the Zeebo version, which appears to be a sister companion to this forthcoming game.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

I have no problem getting the DD:Z review done, just was trying to get the tutorial vid out first which I've actually been working on =).

As for the iphone review I'd do that too in a heartbeat!

Man so much new DD news I'm way excited lol
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:I have no problem getting the DD:Z review done, just was trying to get the tutorial vid out first which I've actually been working on =).

As for the iphone review I'd do that too in a heartbeat!

Man so much new DD news I'm way excited lol

haha, I know. Since discovering DD dojo in the summer of 2002, I'd have to say other than when DDA came out in 2003(which I was mixed on), I'd have to say seeing your Zeebo footage and then the iphone DD game has me the most excited. Those sweet sweet combos. I'm no longer anal about the fact the DD1/2 sprite look isn't being used(tho I like how fan games stick to the DD1/DD2 sprites), I just love how the graphics and style is much faster.

Now as a caveat, when I heard the name Aksys, I have to admit a part of me was hoping we'd get Blu Blaz styled anime graphics. Imagine how sweet that'd be
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Ok 2 points of news, one off topic but one definitely on-topic and great news!

1st off, pretty much done with the DD:Z tutorial video and I'm going to be editing it as soon as I finish typing this, so it should be up a little later!

2nd. I was messing around with some of the android games that are in the marketplace just to see how things would go if Double Dragon android had keyboard support but didn't have the option to map the buttons to certain keys. Well I started looking at the options in the wiimote/classic controller app and in the advanced section you can actually map the buttons on the classic controller to output whatever you want it to! So no matter what buttons they set for attack, jump, duck, etc. in this game, you will STILL be able to use your controller on it!

Now I know this is super advanced info as the Android version hasn't been officially announced yet (only semi-announced by a brizo rep on their facebook page saying that "billy and jimmy will be on android soon"), but just wow! Add the use of a control pad onto the fact that some phones have tv-out and this is way beyond awesome!