Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:Ok 2 points of news, one off topic but one definitely on-topic and great news!

1st off, pretty much done with the DD:Z tutorial video and I'm going to be editing it as soon as I finish typing this, so it should be up a little later!

2nd. I was messing around with some of the android games that are in the marketplace just to see how things would go if Double Dragon android had keyboard support but didn't have the option to map the buttons to certain keys. Well I started looking at the options in the wiimote/classic controller app and in the advanced section you can actually map the buttons on the classic controller to output whatever you want it to! So no matter what buttons they set for attack, jump, duck, etc. in this game, you will STILL be able to use your controller on it!

Now I know this is super advanced info as the Android version hasn't been officially announced yet (only semi-announced by a brizo rep on their facebook page saying that "billy and jimmy will be on android soon"), but just wow! Add the use of a control pad onto the fact that some phones have tv-out and this is way beyond awesome!

Can't wait to see the video. I'm curious what the zeebo exclusive levels and bosses are like(like the broken freeway or building stages)

I wonder if the wii remote app would work for the itouch? Either way I'm hoping ign, 1up, gamespot, etc will be covering and promoting DDi.
I had a blast going through SDD last night with a friend, and I have to say as much as I have endlessly fond memories of the first two when they came out to arcades, overall SDD is my favorite
game in the DD series(especially with two player) Just all the combos, different moves, and epic scope of the game.

I was thinking of what else might make the ultimate DD game, and I would say one aspect would be customization of characters. Either completely creating ones own male or female character, or at least
being able to color palette swap various aspects/change outfits ala Final Fight One for gba. I love the idea of unlocking points and exp for other stuff. Crazy Blaz Blu like special moves(like if a power bar was filled) would rock. I could envision a whole online DD world, where you could team up with 3 other people per game online/via wifi and select all sorts of stages(or do vs modes)

Forgot to ask, is there different ending on the Zeebo depending on who you beat the game with? I can't wait to see what the rest of the stages look like for DDi.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Well it looks pretty good. I like the air juggling and combo stuff. I'd have included that too. The design is also much better than DDA I feel. I like the whole manga design yet the familiarity with stages clearly based on the original game(s?).

The downside is it's a phone game. Sorry, but they're all pretty bad. I have an N8 and Pac-Man Championship Edition, which is incredible on the XBox but hard to get to grips with on a phone despite being nearly the same program. Control will just never be right on phones and I can't see this being any different, particularly with a beat em up.

Still, I've been wrong before.
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

I actually prefer DDA's graphical style over this one. DD iPhone just feels too bouncy, like the characters are straight out of a Neo Geo tournament fighter.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

DojoMaster wrote:I actually prefer DDA's graphical style over this one. DD iPhone just feels too bouncy, like the characters are straight out of a Neo Geo tournament fighter.

Agreed. There are some aspects of the Zeebo/Iphone versions animation and sprite style that I like, but ultimately it comes off as being rather awkward looking to me. In particular the walking animations. I greatly prefer the more true to classic arcade look of DDA's enhanced graphics. To take DDA's graphics, improve the resolution, and increase the frame rate would look simply amazing (i.e. full of nostalgia based, smooth-as-butter, high res win).
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

I just can't seem to dig the look of the DDA graphics...I don't know what it is. But lemme give you a comparison shot:

Bright, crisp...

washed out, almost muddy to me

Had DDA used the bright crisp look of DD1 and DD2 with new character sprites, or heck even kept the original character sprites I woulda been so much more thrilled.
So already I do like the look of DDi a bit more even though its different than all of these.

MysteriousWarrior wrote:
DojoMaster wrote:I actually prefer DDA's graphical style over this one. DD iPhone just feels too bouncy, like the characters are straight out of a Neo Geo tournament fighter.

Agreed. There are some aspects of the Zeebo/Iphone versions animation and sprite style that I like, but ultimately it comes off as being rather awkward looking to me. In particular the walking animations. I greatly prefer the more true to classic arcade look of DDA's enhanced graphics. To take DDA's graphics, improve the resolution, and increase the frame rate would look simply amazing (i.e. full of nostalgia based, smooth-as-butter, high res win).

I know what you mean, and originally I panned the Zeebo DD game based off footage I saw...just felt a bit off. However, while I wish the characters were a bit taller(tho then that would make it a bit too Capcomish) I've come to really like the style Brizo is going with in DDZ and DDi.

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Well it looks pretty good. I like the air juggling and combo stuff. I'd have included that too. The design is also much better than DDA I feel. I like the whole manga design yet the familiarity with stages clearly based on the original game(s?).

The downside is it's a phone game. Sorry, but they're all pretty bad. I have an N8 and Pac-Man Championship Edition, which is incredible on the XBox but hard to get to grips with on a phone despite being nearly the same program. Control will just never be right on phones and I can't see this being any different, particularly with a beat em up.

Still, I've been wrong before.

True, but smart phone virtual d-pad controlling is a lot better than keypad gaming. That whole 2000-2009 era of using cellphone buttons to "play" games(some of which actually did look ok) was such a farce...I cant recall one game I bought that felt at all like I was playing a game. My old Tiger LCD games felt more like video games.

Ive played old school SNES/NES era games, fps, etc on the iphone and some of them work pretty well. Again tho, it does feel weird to not have an actual textured surface to control.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

mechapop wrote:I just can't seem to dig the look of the DDA graphics...I don't know what it is. But lemme give you a comparison shot:

Bright, crisp...

washed out, almost muddy to me

Had DDA used the bright crisp look of DD1 and DD2 with new character sprites, or heck even kept the original character sprites I woulda been so much more thrilled.
So already I do like the look of DDi a bit more even though its different than all of these.

Allow me to rephrase, take DDA's graphics(i.e. the sprites), improve the resolution, revamp/recolor the sprites, and increase the frame rate would look simply amazing (i.e. full of nostalgia based, smooth-as-butter, high res, bright and colorful win).
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

I can definitely agree with a brighter palette. I like colorful games.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Brizo has opened their Official site for the iphone game!

Some really cool bios on the dragons and a few of the bosses. Abobo, Burnov (with a crazy looking new mask) and some girl named Lavis. She looks like she could be the DDi version of the sword girl from Double Dragon Zeebo!

The story portion of the site also has a cool remix of the "Mission" music that they used in DD:A!

Check it out here:

http://www.bow-mobile.com/double_dragon/eng_index.html
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:Brizo has opened their Official site for the iphone game!

Some really cool bios on the dragons and a few of the bosses. Abobo, Burnov (with a crazy looking new mask) and some girl named Lavis. She looks like she could be the DDi version of the sword girl from Double Dragon Zeebo!

The story portion of the site also has a cool remix of the "Mission" music that they used in DD:A!

Check it out here:

http://www.bow-mobile.com/double_dragon/eng_index.html

Well that just made my night. Totally digging the new art style for the character bios. Also really digging that Lavis(I too am curious if it's the same as the anime boss from DDZ)
I'm curious what the stages will be. With the exception of the "Scoop" level(my pet name for the DD1 first level), this looks like an entirely brand new game(DDA seemed more like a "remix" game)
Seeing those moves and combos in action in that trailer was like a sweet concerto, just wondering though how well they'll be pulled off or how the touch controls will be.

Now...we just need major promotion for this and heavy print/online game sites to show some love. Again, I'd LOVE to see some cool promotional material for this.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Ok, take this with a grain of salt but if this is right we could be seeing a console release of this or another double dragon game for wii! Basically after seeing how the iphone version sort of snuck up on us and trying to find an exact release date besides simply March. So my search led me to the good ol' esrb site which as many gamers know, you can find out about quite a few games that are coming out early as more likely then not they get rated before they come out.

Well I put in "Double Dragon" into the search bar and it came up with this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see there are listings for 3 games. One is Double Dragon: Advance, another is Double Dragon which is published by Empire Interactive which is the Xbox360 port of the arcade game and the last is a game simply titled Double Dragon for.. the wii!!

Now the reason I say take this with a grain of salt is because there could be a chance that it was the iphone version but maybe mistakenly mis-labeled...

But now as I type this and after just trying something there's a good chance it could be right. I went back and typed in "Angry Birds" as I know that that game has been released on multiple platforms starting with the iphone and in the platform section for that game it says: "Mobile Phone, Nintendo DSi, PlayStation 3, PSP, Wii", which means that iphone is represented through "mobile phone" and every other platform was correctly identified...

Also of note is that the DD for wii is also published by Aksys games, the same guys who are publishing the iphone version so it isn't a listing for the Virtual Console release of the game..

It's interesting to be sure, but here's to hoping that it's an actual release!