hello folks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

DinLee
Purple Belt

hello folks

Post by DinLee »

name's DinLee, huge Streets of Rage fan as well as the beat 'em up genre Opening a new site for all beat 'em up info. :D

I just recently got into the Double Dragon series (late bloomer right?) and I'm glad to see a fan community more so one with recent posts lol. I would love to dive into the world of double dragon, expand my site, make some friends and I hope to enjoy my time here!

btw is marian dead or what? :)
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Re: hello folks

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Excellent question!

For starters, I think we all agree that she gets killed, at the beginning of DD II. But what happens at the end?

The arcade ending is a bit ambiguous - I'd say she was only avenged, and definitely dead in that one.

Most ports share this ending on-screen, but have a storyline in the manual, about the Lee brothers being able to enact some resurrection ceremony, if they can defeat the Black Warriors and their own souls (the doppelgangers, I guess).

She is clearly revived in the NES and PC Engine ports (hard mode only).

So, it would seem that, by majority vote, she's alive (because life and death are totally democratic). But if that's the case, where is she in DD3?

She is not even mentioned, in the arcade version. Since I've always regarded arcade versions to be definitive canon, this is proof to me, that she's dead.

In the NES version, it turns out that she's under an evil spell, becoming "Princess Noiram", the game's final boss. She is rescued, unharmed. Definitely alive. But since every other version labels the end boss as Cleopatra and makes no mention of Marian or magic spells - even the Japanese ORIGINAL version of the NES game, I'd reject that one. On the other hand, the Japanese port features Marian in its manual; But since she doesn't actually appear in the storyline (she's more of a narrator, breaking the fourth wall and directly addressing the reader), I wouldn't regard that as canonical, either.

Then again, I don't regard any of the NES stuff as canon. Jimmy as the Shadow Boss? WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Then he suddenly switches sides, without explanation? Plain silly. In fact, the Japanese DD II manual refers to Jimmy as having assisted Billy, in defeating the Black Warriors and saving Marian. This was, I think, the smart move: Ignore the original NES story, and follow the arcade plot.

So, I hope my little rant has answered your question! In my personal opinion, it's a "Yes", she's dead. And the makers of Rage of the Dragons seem to have agreed with me.

Where can I find your BEU site?
DinLee
Purple Belt

Post by DinLee »

awesome post! :D it kind of gave me the run around but I think I'll consider her gone due to rotd but would rotd be canon considering they weren't able to gain the rights?

the site isn't up yet, I'm working on a front page at least but the forums and chat are up as well as the hosted Streets of rage online site.
http://www.brawlersavenue.net/forum
http://www.brawlersavenue.net/forum/chat
http://www.brawlersavenue.net/soronline

so far the boards only have final fight and streets of rage sections if we can get some DD support I'll gladly open up a double dragons section. :D I'm also working on different themes based on each game as well.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Thanks, I'll definitely be checking those out!

You're right, ROTD is not DD canon - it revolves around Billy and Jimmy Lewis, who are different characters from the Lee brothers (just as Mariah is different from Marian). Even if ROTD had been an official DD game, it would have been a sequel to DD Neo Geo, which is not in the continuity of the original games (and has some connection to the STUPID movie - which is certainly not in the DD canon).

The point I was making is that the makers of ROTD probably agreed with me, that Marian would have been dead, within DD continuity. My thinking is that the plot of ROTD is the writers' take on a better DD3. They ignored the globe-trotting quest for magic rocks, starring Egyptian mummies and walking trees, and brought Double Dragon back to its fighting roots (good call).

I actually listed ROTD's references to the original DD series, in the Dojo 2008 Mailbox. Feel free to check that one out! Actually, I noticed one more, since then: Billy Lewis' red 1980s Trans Am is a little hint at the red Hot Rod, in the Lee Brothers' garage (which is an intentional reference to the sports car from Road Blaster, also directed by Yoshihisa Kishimoto. Similarly, the chopper in the hangar at the beginning of DD II references the one from Kishimoto's Cobra Command).

I didn't mean to give you the runaround, just tried to give you the full picture - I know that some members of these forums disagree with me, and see Marian as still being alive.
DinLee
Purple Belt

Post by DinLee »

:lol: no worries I understand what you mean, I enjoy it more than I would getting a post that says "yup she's dead, shut up" It's a shame RotD isn't canon I really liked that game and it's references though I did like the characters in it's spiritual prequel better aside from it's ties to that terrible movie.

I'll check out the list for sure, I do enjoy when later games make references to classics. I agree about DD3, from what I seen nothing good came out of that game though I was interested in that third lee character. I do wish Streets of Rage had this type of exposure.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Killing off Marian was a stupid and very lazy move on the part of the creators of Double Dragon II (arcade). In fact the whole game is lazy and more like a remake but that's a story for another day.

A smarter storyline and natural progression for the series would have seen the sequel feature a choice of characters from Billy, Jimmy and a much tougher and perhaps agile Marian. I suppose it was still very unusual for a video game to have a herotic female lead in '88.
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт