Double Dragon prototypes

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Jonny2x4

Double Dragon prototypes

Post by Jonny2x4 »

http://www.skrybe.net/

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Skrybe's site has roms of various prototype and beta versions of NES games. There's betas of the first two DD games there, as well as a beta of Super Spike V'Ball.

The DD1 beta is the most interesting, as it has the most differences between it and the final game. Apparently the developers were planning on adding fake exits to the game like they did with the NES Renegade. For example, at the end of Mission 3-1, the two holes made by the Abobos will take you to different areas. One exit takes you to the red cave, which is a dead end, while the other takes you to the blue cave, the true exit.

The DD2 and V'Ball protos are not as interesting, since they're nearly identical to their complete Japanese releases, but they're still worth checking out for their stage skip feature.
Steve Halfpenny

Re: Double Dragon prototypes

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Do you think it was ever planned for the game to be two players or a straight port (I see the latter as more doubtful as most NES games seemed to be "inspired" by rather than exact copies. Never understood that personally).
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

There's no 2-players mode in the beta as far as I know. From my understanding, the reason why most NES versions of most arcade games were different is because they were often made at the same time as the arcade versions and by different teams. I know the NES version of DD III was made at the same time as the arcade version and came out mere months afterward. Either that or they wanted people to continue playing the arcade versions by making the home versions as different as possible.

The back of the Famicom version's package has a curious screenshot on it. One of them shows the preview screen of Mission 2, but with Billy's sprite from the Versus Mode overlaid over it. Its probably a mock-up screen, but still interesting to note.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Makes sense. I had no idea many NES games were developed at the same time.

Your information is fascinating and I've missed it to be honest!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Jonny2x4 wrote:There's no 2-players mode in the beta as far as I know. From my understanding, the reason why most NES versions of most arcade games were different is because they were often made at the same time as the arcade versions and by different teams. I know the NES version of DD III was made at the same time as the arcade version and came out mere months afterward. Either that or they wanted people to continue playing the arcade versions by making the home versions as different as possible.

The back of the Famicom version's package has a curious screenshot on it. One of them shows the preview screen of Mission 2, but with Billy's sprite from the Versus Mode overlaid over it. Its probably a mock-up screen, but still interesting to note.

It used to bug me in the late 80's when long awaited NES ports of arcade games were so wildly different. For every faithful adaptation like Bad Dudes and Rampage, there were a lot of games completely different.
In retrospect, I think this was good, especially due to the massive limitations. For instance I LOVE Strider arcade...but the NES version I love just as much or more, especially after learning its based on a manga from a year prior. I was disappointed with how different the NES DD was to the arcade...but I think it worked and crafted its own legacy. And of course most people know of only the NES Ninja Gaiden and not the clunky oddball beat em up. (Tho Im a fan of both)

Im VERY thankful DD3 for the NES was a big departure and its own thing from the arcade game(odd how the GB port tried to mimic the arcade)

Im curious if that site has roms of unreleased games? (Hellraiser, California Raisins, etc) One of these days I gotta check out that 1988 Famicom Akira game too
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »