Double Dragon Gamegear?

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Chin Seimei
White Belt

Double Dragon Gamegear?

Post by Chin Seimei »

Anyone ever heard of it, I saw a video of it here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeViUbeVJqI

Also the Sonic The Hedgehog girl at 29:43 minutes in!
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Gamegear?

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

The Dojo has a review of it, here.

The short version is, it's pretty rubbish.

I will say that I quite liked Billy Lee's new character design (this is the only game where we see him wear a headband), particularly the portrait from the intro, before each level.

It's also an interesting idea, that you have to rescue Jimmy, from being mind-controlled into being the Shadow Boss-like final boss (yeah, the story says you're out to avenge his death, but that turns out to not be true).

Does that justify everything else about this game? I doubt it.
Chin Seimei
White Belt

Post by Chin Seimei »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:The Dojo has a review of it, here.

The short version is, it's pretty rubbish.

I will say that I quite liked Billy Lee's new character design (this is the only game where we see him wear a headband), particularly the portrait from the intro, before each level.

It's also an interesting idea, that you have to rescue Jimmy, from being mind-controlled into being the Shadow Boss-like final boss (yeah, the story says you're out to avenge his death, but that turns out to not be true).

Does that justify everything else about this game? I doubt it.

Thanks for the link.

Thats too bad, Double Dragon really needed more quality control. Still, even the bad games are part of the series history.

I like the headband too, the level names like "Reading is fun" were funny .

Yeah, I saw the final boss was a Armored Warrior with a possessed Jimmy inside. Oddly, if the manual in Segaretro is correct, it never mentions Jimmy, and instead says Marian was kidnapped, despite her not being in the game.

http://segaretro.org/index.php?title=Fi ... pdf&page=4

I wonder if the shirtless dude with a gun was meant to be Willy Mackey, it resembles the Battletoads version of Mackey.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

To me the 1992 Sega Game Gear Double Dragon was the strangest of all the DD games. (and yes, that includes "DDV", Neo Geo Double Dragon, PC Engine "DD2" and the Game Boy DD games)
The graphics look great, reminding me of Tecmo's 1988 Ninja Gaiden arcade game meets Konami's 1989 arcade game Crime Fighters. The stages are pretty interesting.
A whole level inside a 90's Virgin Record store? I can dig it. The rural country level near the end reminded me of stage 3 from the arcade Double Dragon 2. And it almost
feels that the new Double Dragon 4 borrowed from the final stage of Game Gear Double Dragon. The HR Giger-esque alien hive final stage is so random, but it reminds me
of the early 90s PC Game "Dark Seed"(where you find a Giger-esque alien world underneath a mansion) The stage also reminds me of that Kunio sequel from 1992 on the
Super Famicom "Shin Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun".

But the play mechanics...I remember buying it when it came out and being so frustrated by how it played, and just gave up. Even years later playing a game genie cheat heavy
ROM of it on a game gear emulator was frustrating. Still, for a diehard DD fan, I recommend playing it just for the experience of it.
I'd love to see an interview with the production team behind the GG DD game. Like...what were they thinking? Were they given instruction to make
a strange game that had nothing to do with the 1987 original despite using the Tradwest NES DD boxart for the cover?
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

mechapop wrote: But the play mechanics...I remember buying it when it came out and being so frustrated by how it played, and just gave up. Even years later playing a game genie cheat heavy
ROM of it on a game gear emulator was frustrating. Still, for a diehard DD fan, I recommend playing it just for the experience of it.
I'd love to see an interview with the production team behind the GG DD game. Like...what were they thinking? Were they given instruction to make
a strange game that had nothing to do with the 1987 original despite using the Tradwest NES DD boxart for the cover?

As far as I know, this game has the dubious distinction of being the only Double Dragon game where a main protagonist, in this case, Billy, can actually equip and use a gun. Does anyone else think this may be counterintuitive to the Sou-Setsu-Ken philosophy?
May you live hapilly forever...
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting