Clarifying the Black Warriors and Shadow Warriors mix-up

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Play2win
Black Belt

Clarifying the Black Warriors and Shadow Warriors mix-up

Post by Play2win »

Is there a "correct" title for Willy's gang? I've seen both of these titles used interchangeably. Does anyone know what the source of this discrepancy is, or if there a confirmed proper translation from the original Japanese which would clear this up?
May you live hapilly forever...
Bimmy
White Belt

Re: Clarifying the Black Warriors and Shadow Warriors mix-up

Post by Bimmy »

The first NES game used the name "Black Warriors". The second NES game used the name "Black Shadow Warriors". Eventually it just got shorten to "the Shadow Warriors".
Z0X
Purple Belt

Post by Z0X »

Willy is the boss of Black Warriors they disapear after part 2 The Revenge, then comes Duke with his Shadow Warriors in Super Double Dragon... few members of Black Warriors go to Shadow Warriors like Williams, Roper, Jeff.... but no Abobo and Linda
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Z0X wrote:Willy is the boss of Black Warriors they disapear after part 2 The Revenge, then comes Duke with his Shadow Warriors in Super Double Dragon... few members of Black Warriors go to Shadow Warriors like Williams, Roper, Jeff.... but no Abobo and Linda

ZOX: I think your are mixing up the arcade and NES versions again. The arcade has always called them the Black Warriors; however, the NES version refers to them as the Shadow Warriors starting from at least Double Dragon II. Actually the NES version may have had them as the Shadow Warriors the whole series (Except DD One.) but I know for a fact they are called the Shadow Warriors in the NES versions of Double Dragon II.

Here is my proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1r5bZS5ry0

Skip to the 30 second mark and you will see that it clearly states Shadow Warriors.

In all honesty, they are all one in the same. I think you guys are putting too much emphasis on the whole Black/Shadow Warriors name. NES-wise the storyline flows in a way that they are the same gang. I think even Spike brought it up in his thread. In the arcades, their names aren't Billy and Jimmy they are called Spike and Hammer. What Nintendo did was basically give them more legit names and a story to the game which is the reason why everyone calls them Billy and Jimmy. The arcade story line is linear. Marion gets kidnapped/killed and you get revenge in both arcade games. Nintendo was the one that really added a fully on story to the DD franchise. Also keep in mind the Nintendo version of DD One didn't show a storyline like DDII and DDIII; however, if it did I'm sure they would have named them Shadow Warriors.

Zox I do remember you saying that you never played the NES versions so I understand that you didn't know that the NES version referred to them as Shadow Warriors.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

I think this issue came up in another topic and it was suggested (probably correctly) that the mix up is really just caused by translation style from the original Japanese, and that these two gangs were never meant to be separate- it's just two ways of saying the same gang's name. The responder even mentioned a third translation variation using the name "Black Shadow Warriors". It's never been clear to me but it may not be a relevant distinction.
May you live hapilly forever...
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

This was a good post because I think a lot of people have varying opinions in it.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

The japanese manual for DD1 f.amicom call them Black Warriors.
The japanese manual of DD2 famicom called the foes from the previous adventure, the Black Warriors, and the new enemy the Gen Satsu Ken.
And so does the japanese manual for DD3, still refer them as the Black Warriors.

So the japanese storyline makes a difference between the groups.
Still need to check the japanese manual for Return of double dragon for the super famicom. Also seeing the manual for the GBA game would be good. Unfortunately I don't have those manuals. If someone have some scan, it would be good to post it to give it a look.

I'm not sure, but maybe in the arcade, the bad guys just don't have a name.
Last edited by Die_In_Fire on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Good point. I think we need to just break it down slow and separate each versions.
Bimmy
White Belt

Post by Bimmy »

Billy Lee wrote:Also keep in mind the Nintendo version of DD One didn't show a storyline like DDII and DDIII; however, if it did I'm sure they would have named them Shadow Warriors.
DDI did have storyline in the manual where they used the name "Black Warriors". DDII used "Black Shadow Warriors" in the manual and the name "Shadow Warriors" in the game. DDIII also used "Black Shadow Warriors" in the manual. The Super Double Dragon manual used both "Black Shadow Warriors" and "Shadow Warriors".
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Basically it seems like you can try to interpret the name and gang/gangs in multiple ways.