Double Dragon 2 Remake?

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Rockman
Green Belt

Re: Double Dragon 2 Remake?

Post by Rockman »

I know this isn't a very responsible thing to do without a review.. but seriously..

It's F%$^king terrible

Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible x infinity...

People who hated Neon? Go download and play it NOW and be thankful that you got to play that.. this game makes that game look like NES DD2 or Double Dragon Advanced..

Worse then fighting force? How about worse then any other beat em up EVER (and thats including Legend for PS1 and SNES Captain America and the Avengers where the enemies get invincibility after every hit so combos don't ever work ever..)

In short: It Sucks... badly
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Rockman wrote:I know this isn't a very responsible thing to do without a review.. but seriously..

Actually, the only way to be irresponsible is to not be truthful. If that's how you feel about the game, it's certainly responsible to tell us.

By the way, feel like writing a full review?
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

I really wanted to like this game. I love the arcade version of DD2. Frankly, it's difficult to imagine how this could have been any worse. It's an insult to humanity.

The credits indicate Million sold these clowns the rights- I think we need to express our concerns to Million to ensure they don't taint the good name of Double Dragon by licensing off rights to these sick maniacs.
May you live hapilly forever...
Maikel
White Belt

Post by Maikel »

Fighting Force on the PSX was fun compared to this.

Graphics are okay, gameplay is absolute sh#t, controls are terrible, the AI is so stupid it's laughable, the music is somewhat okay, but not pleasing.

Only played the trial version on xbox, definetely not buying the full game.

Double dragon Neon was a LOT better
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

DojoMaster wrote:
Rockman wrote:I know this isn't a very responsible thing to do without a review.. but seriously..

Actually, the only way to be irresponsible is to not be truthful. If that's how you feel about the game, it's certainly responsible to tell us.

Well I meant "irresponsible" as far as me just going "it sucks" without leaving a review to tell why. But you're right..

As far as doing a review, I dunno if I would want to play through it again to take notes on certain things (yeah its, THAT bad) though I'll think it over if only because once we've reviewed that then the site has reviews for every version of DD1 and DD2!

BUT FIRST!

Just finished the game with a friend and we were watching the credits, so that we'd know the names of the people we would fist fight if we saw on the street lol..

Then the CRAZIEST thing happened... Mike Siciliano (aka Dojo Master).. is give a shout out in the game =O!!!! I nearly lost it when I saw it lol.

Did they contact you or ask you about putting your name in?? Because honestly of ALL the games they could have given you props in/for.. why this one?!?! :lol: LOL

Anyways here's a screenshot of it from the credits!
DojoMaster, you got so explaining to do, HAHA!
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Rockman wrote:
DojoMaster wrote:

Well I meant "irresponsible" as far as me just going "it sucks" without leaving a review to tell why. But you're right..

As far as doing a review, I dunno if I would want to play through it again to take notes on certain things (yeah its, THAT bad) though I'll think it over if only because once we've reviewed that then the site has reviews for every version of DD1 and DD2!

BUT FIRST!

Just finished the game with a friend and we were watching the credits, so that we'd know the names of the people we would fist fight if we saw on the street lol..

Then the CRAZIEST thing happened... Mike Siciliano (aka Dojo Master).. is give a shout out in the game =O!!!! I nearly lost it when I saw it lol.

Did they contact you or ask you about putting your name in?? Because honestly of ALL the games they could have given you props in/for.. why this one?!?! :lol: LOL

Anyways here's a screenshot of it from the credits!
DojoMaster, you got so explaining to do, HAHA!

Haha, that's awesome! I guess I didn't bother telling anyone, did I?

They sent me a bunch of in-game text and asked if I would copy edit it. I think that was last year. I'd have to check my email.

I was surprised that they actually asked me to review their text (usually game companies won't let outsiders anywhere near their games before release). But I decided to help, and I'm glad I did.

Now I'd feel pretty bad if I posted a negative review! But you have to be honest no matter what.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

lol I guess you're immortalized now! They may be liable for use of your likeness without your consent... Were the guys who contacted you identified as DPRK agents?
Driversold
Purple Belt

Post by Driversold »

Here: you can use this as a review: I downloaded it (can't pass up a Double Dragon game).
I think people would have more enticed to buy or even play this if they installed the original arcade mode as a choice; play 3D or original. Maybe they can release it as an update....
It seems to follow the arcade, just done in 3D. It really only looks good when you're playing in the helicopter, because its up close. Most of the time your character is scaled down to a small size to fit in a bigger background. Makes no sense.
It lacks in the moves department. Although I can't remember if the original had any more moves than this, but a little more variation would have been nice, especially a grab combo type move. You basically, punch, kick, jump kick, elbow, and if lucky pull off a spin kick or a dragon type fireball. Very repetitive when there are endless waves of enemies. Some games give you that satisfaction and feel when you drop the elbow (Dd2 for nes) or knee smash and toss (DD 2 Nes...pattern here?), but there is no such thing in this version. It feels lifeless. Oh, and the stage towards the end where you need to dodge these electronic sliding blocks is one of the most ridiculous and uneccesary challenges put in a game. 2 player makes it worse as you will get caught waiting for the other player as they get cheaply trapped. Ughhh! My partner was ready to quit after several attempts.
There are a few somewhat bright spots: Its 2-player (but it will pro ably be hard to find someone wanting to play through the whole thing in one setting.),
If you complete a level, you can stage select when you restart, the cut scenes are drawn beautifully (almost would like to see a game done in that style), nice to see some of the old characters again, and...well it's Double Dragon. The Nes version of DD2 reigns supreme and should also be on enclosed with this version.
Enemies: A- there are a variety, it's just that they throw countless waves that may make you think otherwise.
Controls: C- not many moves, but it feels sluggish (not all). I struggled pulling off specials. And moving about was stiff, on some parts.
Levels: B They are all pretty distinct and seem to somewhat flow from level to level unlike Double Dragon Neon, which took you to point A to point v to point C...etc. Enjoyed the Elevator, Helicopter (Not as good as DD2 Nes version), Corn Field, and Willy's Palace. Didn't like inside Warehouse or Science lab...characters become to small and its dark. Would a received better if there was more interaction with them.
Moves: D+ Not many and they don't look that good whenyour character is 3D and tiny on the screen.
Overall: C-That seems generous to probably 90% of those that played it, but I still found hints of enjoyment or maybe it's nostalga. If they add patches or updates of original arcade versions or get the rights to the Nes version, you'll see a spike in sales.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Well I finally got a chance to play the demo and I have to agree it was bad. Not as bad as I expected, but it definitely wasn't what I was hoping for. I must say I did like the cut scenes though. I think if they ever made a Double Dragon game using that art style, it could be something nice. The biggest problem lately with Double Dragon is that there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Everyone has a vision of how a new Double Dragon game should be, but the problem seems to be that the ideas that pass are bad ones. I'm hoping a good company will pick up Double Dragon and come out with a good series of games.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Million and the programming geniuses behind Double Dragon Advance (most of the Technos refugees) got it right. That's what a modern, updated double dragon game should look like. Generally, I'm not sure the Beat 'em up a format which translates into 3d.