Double Dragon Neon

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

ddragon4life
Yellow Belt

Re: Double Dragon Neon

Post by ddragon4life »

As a hardcore double dragon fan and an old school beat em up gamer forever. i am actually really enjoying the game. i am missing a few of the old moves like the hair pull knee and elbow punch..but the game has some cool moves and even though its not the same formula as the previous double dragons its still a fun game on its own. and the sound track is really neat as well with cool remixes of arcade dd 1 and 2 and even double dragon f1 and 2 for the nes throughout.

i say don't listen to the haters and bad reviews. :)
Maikel
White Belt

Post by Maikel »

Better controls, harder hits, and of course, the backhand/kick counter grab.

The enemy has no energy meter, but they go down fast enough, also you the other moves you get extra is a very effective roundhouse kick, and the ability to grab two enemies heads and smash them together.

Overall I find it great, one thing that really bothered me is the guy in mission 2 who is sitting crouched in front of a gaping hole talking to himself, waiting for you to kick his ass so falls in.
Maikel
White Belt

Post by Maikel »

Completed the game yesterday, don't normally play platformers anymore and there was a lot going on on what you have to find out to progress. I stronglty encourage cloudman to review it, If I were to Rate it it would be:

Graphics A
Sound A (voices A-, music A+)
Enemies B+(In the end there are Abobo's in large number and every color of the rainbow, and Skel... Skullmageddon(already appeared his obvious inspiration's wiki) is a bit too hard in his ultimate form, if this game was a coin-up you are better off with buying the cabinet.)
Weapons: A+
Controls: B ("run" around and manouver while avoiding death from above, it's frustrating)
Conclusion A-

The mixtape/stances is an interesting feature, and I had to resort to health recharging stance and accelerated magic boosting stance and utilizing the dragon, as well as oldfashionad roundhouse asskicking to win the final fight(solo), and that still took well over 8 minutes(The final boss can take a up to a life if you make a single mistake). The fiction also covers the absence of hair-grabbing and knee-to-the-face-actions, and at's a great 80's atmosphere.
MightyZol
White Belt

Post by MightyZol »

Finally, after a sequence of blunders the PS europe store finally managed to publish Neon and I've been able to play it a fair bit over the weekend - mostly in bro-op, I haven't completed it yet, but am really enjoying it so far.

I haven't bothered reading any 'proper' reviews, but I was a bit worried to read on here the comparison to Renegade 3 - it made me think that it had been made into some sort of dodgy platformer only called a beatemup because the player can just do one badly animated kick move! But having played it, I can sort of see what was meant - it's not played as a 'straight' urban brawler like the original, or other classics like Final Fight or Renegade. But there are lots of good beatemups that IMO are made even better by having a sense of humour eg Captain Commando, Vendetta, Dynamite Deka or God Hand.

TBH I'm not all that invested in the Double Dragon series, so I guess I don't mind the humourous approach (it's certainly preferable to what was done with the 'gritty' Final Fight Streetwise) The 80's parody theme is very consistent and well thought through, and it actually adds to the gameplay - how else would you implement the life share if not by high fiving? Or revive your bro if not by reeling back a cassette tape with a pencil? I just don't see a gritty realistic way of doing this.

There are some very good innovations especially the life share/ steal feature - has this ever been done before? genius IMO. And things like the shops (which I didnt much like in the original DD), powerups and revisiting levels add some depth. Perhaps more could have been done with the stun & grapple mechanic of the original, but maybe I havent figured out the moves completely yet. And a few more enemy types (as opposed to recolors) would have been nice, but it still stands a very good example of how to do a remake of a beatemup game.(at a good price too), and I hope it inspires more publishers to make games of this genre.
Maikel
White Belt

Post by Maikel »

I think some gauntlet-like games feature the share/stealing of health(Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2, Justice League heroes, get medieval), but it is not needed to beat those games.

Using the stances can upgrade your stun-blows, and you'll need some magic/special attacks later.. At least I needed them to beat the boss in the final fight.. I played single player(hope the link-up patch gets done soon)

You might have noticed that you can only play "normal" mode, not "dragon" or "double dragon", you have to unlock those.. But you'll transfer your character on your next playthrough, since you'll need the stances and songs to even make it through the first mission in "Dragon" difficulty.
DinLee
Purple Belt

Post by DinLee »

Does Waypoint have a forum or anything? If they plan on patching things up maybe they'll consider adding some of the missing stuff from previous games or upgrade the gameplay a bit. Who knows, they did say with enough demand they might add the toads.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Overall, in spite of this game not having a true double dragon "feel" to it, I think it's a worthy remake. The 80's nostalgia blends well with the Double Dragon sounds and imagery, and the gameplay innovations are clever. My main complaint, besides the absence of online multiplayer and the omission of Willy, is just that some of the programming seems shortcutted.

The dialogue does not use plural tense during two player games, some of the levels seem to abruptly end without warning, and many of the powerups were scattered in nonsensical locations. All of these could be fixed with relative ease, but its possible these are the results of the game being rushed. Double Dragon IOS fixed some of these similar problems with subsequent patches as well.

If there is a way to provide proactive feedback to the developers at Wayforward, this would be very helpful.
May you live hapilly forever...
Bimmy
White Belt

Post by Bimmy »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:The new Williams skin-swap dresses similarly to Machine Gun Willy, although I'm not sure what's with the beret.
Where the heck did the name "Machine Gun Willy" come from anyway?
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Bimmy wrote:
Eddie MountainGoat wrote:The new Williams skin-swap dresses similarly to Machine Gun Willy, although I'm not sure what's with the beret.

If I'm not mistaken it was from the cartoon. Either that or Battletoads and DD, but I'm sure it is the cartoon.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Billy Lee wrote:
Bimmy wrote:

If I'm not mistaken it was from the cartoon. Either that or Battletoads and DD, but I'm sure it is the cartoon.

Actually I think the cartoon character you're thinking of is "Wild Willy" (and he actually shot lasers). He was only the "Shadow Boss" in the Pilot, but I don't think he ever had or was referred to as a machine gun. Battletoads and DD gave the machine gun to Roper for inexplicable reasons...
May you live hapilly forever...