Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Jonny2x4
Moderator
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I read Lavis' bio from the Japanese website and it doesn't mention her sex. I seriously doubt this is another Poison issue, but a simple translation mistake. The Japanese language doesn't rely on gender-specific pronouns as much as English does and it seems likely the translator wrote the text without knowing whether the character was a man or woman.

By the way, I've managed to find rips of the animated character illustrations used during the conversation scenes. The ones from the official website are upscaled. I don't have much to say about the game itself, since I don't have an iPhone (it looks pretty nice for an iPhone game), but at least the artwork is gorgeous.
avg_billy.obm.png
avg_billy.obm.png (60.36 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_jimmy.obm.png
avg_jimmy.obm.png (62.69 KiB) Viewed 11315 times
avg_marian.obm.png
avg_marian.obm.png (45.15 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_abobo.obm.png
avg_abobo.obm.png (87.26 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_burnov.obm.png
avg_burnov.obm.png (86 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_lavis.obm.png
avg_lavis.obm.png (76.03 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_chin.obm.png
avg_chin.obm.png (42 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_deanna.obm.png
avg_deanna.obm.png (54.63 KiB) Viewed 11315 times

avg_willy.obm.png
avg_willy.obm.png (100.79 KiB) Viewed 11315 times
mechapop
Red Belt
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

I consider Poison a woman. Capcom was forced to retcon the character and turn the woman into transsexuals, which I think is worse. You saw a lot of homophobia in early 90's beat-em-ups
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
DinLee
Purple Belt
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 am
Location: Sin City
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by DinLee »

mechapop wrote:I consider Poison a woman. Capcom was forced to retcon the character and turn the woman into transsexuals, which I think is worse. You saw a lot of homophobia in early 90's beat-em-ups

technically you're right, she is a woman... post op in the US. Though I'd have to say you're wrong about the retcon, even her concept art says newhalf on it, she was meant to be this all along. Roxy on the other hand is and always will be full woman, no back story. Besides it's not like the censors paid any attention to anything other than what she appeared to be, a woman in the decade of terrible translations/ignorance of original stories/etc this wouldn't surprise me that they overlooked her being a newhalf, or maybe they didn't care. she was convincing enough of a woman.

Personally I don't care, it's not like I can actually date poison or something and really this controversy is what gave her the chance to be fleshed out. keep in mind newhalfs are kind of popular in japan not to mention this chicks name came from a rockband of guys who look feminine.
Image
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

I consider Poison a woman. Capcom was forced to retcon the character and turn the woman into transsexuals, which I think is worse. You saw a lot of homophobia in early 90's beat-em-ups


Hooray, I get to be a troll! DinLee is right. Poison was always intended to be transexual. Pre-op in Japan, post-op in the U.S.

This video rather emphatically settled the debate for me:
http://youtu.be/3Lj-9npanOI
Jonny2x4
Moderator
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Sorry, but that video is a bit inaccurate. Poison and Roxy were already established to be transsexuals during the game's development, it's not just something they made up for the Super Famicom version's manual. The design sheets for the arcade version have an illustration of both of them labelled "newhalf".

I seriously don't know how anyone could take a look at Poison's sprite and death cry in the original Final Fight and think she was meant to be a born woman. She looks and sounds way too masculine. I know the promotional illustration gave her a more feminine look (which they continued using for later appearances), but those could've been drawn after the fact. That's my two cents.

It doesn't really matter anymore, since Capcom is now pandering to the crowd who wants Poison to be a woman by leaving her true sex ambiguous in Street Fighter X Tekken.
Attachments
240b667ded79416b3b945bc4f57db03c.jpg
240b667ded79416b3b945bc4f57db03c.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
DinLee
Purple Belt
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 am
Location: Sin City
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by DinLee »

Jonny2x4 wrote:Sorry, but that video is a bit inaccurate. Poison and Roxy were already established to be transsexuals during the game's development, it's not just something they made up for the Super Famicom version's manual. The design sheets for the arcade version have an illustration of both of them labelled "newhalf".

I seriously don't know how anyone could take a look at Poison's sprite and death cry in the original Final Fight and think she was meant to be a born woman. She looks and sounds way too masculine. I know the promotional illustration gave her a more feminine look (which they continued using for later appearances), but those could've been drawn after the fact. That's my two cents.

It doesn't really matter anymore, since Capcom is now pandering to the crowd who wants Poison to be a woman by leaving her true sex ambiguous in Street Fighter X Tekken.

I thought that's what the vid said? regarding her looks, honestly living in vegas I've seen a few transsexuals around here that could easily pass off as women :| well except the blatantly obvious things you'd notice if you live out here that is. I think the ambiguous thing is simply something to keep the argument alive, which only gives the lady more popularity.
Image
Jonny2x4
Moderator
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I thought that's what the vid said?

Really? My mistake, I only saw the first few minutes and didn't realize that what he was clarifying. Sorry.

I sometimes wonder whether Poison would've such a huge following if it wasn't for all this false controversy about her true sex. Personally, I think the female enemies from Captain Commando and Punisher were sexier.
mechapop
Red Belt
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

whoah, I had no idea that was Capcom's intention all along! Thanks for the info/translation and that documentary!

I always find this stuff fascinating. How Zangief was hinted at being gay, or how unwilling Capcom US was in retaining the boss names in SF2.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Jonny2x4
Moderator
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I don't think Zangief was ever supposed to be gay though. All the speculations started when a fan-written plot guide misinterpreted Zangief's official profile in the Japanese version of Alpha 3, which stated that Zangief disliked "cute girls". I don't think that automatically means that he prefers men, it could also mean that he's more attracted to older mature women as opposed to teenage girls. I always though he and Rainbow Mika had a thing together.
DinLee
Purple Belt
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 am
Location: Sin City
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by DinLee »

Jonny2x4 wrote:
I thought that's what the vid said?

Really? My mistake, I only saw the first few minutes and didn't realize that what he was clarifying. Sorry.

I sometimes wonder whether Poison would've such a huge following if it wasn't for all this false controversy about her true sex. Personally, I think the female enemies from Captain Commando and Punisher were sexier.

its all good, happens to all of us. :P I don't think she would've been this popular but who knows, she did appear in sf3 along side hugo with pretty much any other appearances he had so maybe just being a chick in capris with neon pink hair would've helped.
mechapop wrote:whoah, I had no idea that was Capcom's intention all along! Thanks for the info/translation and that documentary!

I always find this stuff fascinating. How Zangief was hinted at being gay, or how unwilling Capcom US was in retaining the boss names in SF2.

yeah capcom is well known for mix ups in their games.
Jonny2x4 wrote:I don't think Zangief was ever supposed to be gay though. All the speculations started when a fan-written plot guide misinterpreted Zangief's official profile in the Japanese version of Alpha 3, which stated that Zangief disliked "cute girls". I don't think that automatically means that he prefers men, it could also mean that he's more attracted to older mature women as opposed to teenage girls. I always though he and Rainbow Mika had a thing together.

Yeah I think people read into that too much, I think R.Mika would fit into the cute girls category but I don't know too much about her. Gief could like his women muscular heh heh
Image
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests