Legend of the Double Dragon

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Re: Legend of the Double Dragon

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

I have to admit, I am quite a bit skeptical that Bor can be modified to faithfully replicate DD gameplay.

I am wondering, how will the game handle weapons? Can enemies drop, and pick weapons up? Also, will the stages be more than just linear? Will the stages have pits, traps, ladders, etc?

I just ask because these are all things that I have never seen done with Bor, and are real DD gameplay staples. I would be beyond impressed if you could pull these things off.

As far as contacting Muneki Ebinuma, I have no idea. I question whether it would be of any real help to contact him anyway. Double Dragon is far from a profitable franchise anymore, and the most you would likely get from him would be an order to stop working on your game immediately.

Personally, I think that with the ineptitude in which the series has been handled over the last few years, it is up to creative indy developers to pull it out of the dirt.

With that said, although I am skeptical of how Bor can truly handle the complexity of DD gameplay, I am extremely impressed by what you have shown, and would like to help.

If I may be so bold to ask, I would like to offer my creative abilities on this project. Here are some quick sprites I threw together today:

These extremely rough sprites I threw in are certainly not finished, especially Willy, but it gives a small taste of what I can do. These sprites are completely done from scratch by me, pixel by pixel. I placed them in with some regular RoDD sprites for scale, and style comparison.

Not only can I do still sprites, I can animate as well, and if you are interested, I can certainly demonstrate.

The only thing I ask in return, is my name on the credits, and the chance to help create the best fan-made DD game possible.

Anyway, if you think that I may be of any help to you, please let me know, I am certainly interested.
Mr.Q®
Yellow Belt

Post by Mr.Q® »

Man, those sprites are awesome! I would like to se more of course! No worries about putting you on the credits, I don't have problems with that whatsoever, and belive me, most of the classic DDragon gameplay is already present.

I cannot talk too much about what I have in mind, but all of those extra moves you have seen are combinatios between several buttons, so it's not a FFight clone anymore.

I really, REALLY love the series, I grew with it, so you can expect tons of hard work. I've also edited some enemies...I'm not a dedicated sprite editor, but I can get to work some stuff here and there, specially new stages. My little brother is also helping me with the game music, he's translating every single piece of DDragon music to sound like the SNES version synth, so spect to hear that as well.

You can contact me on hishou_hakurei_q@hotmail.com or the official blog www.singlungopenbor.blogspot.com for any kind of help. By the way, i'm not someone who likes to keep my work on hold until some piece of sprite/music/code is done, so, it's ok if you don't feel like helping at certain point, I'll keep working on this game 'till is done, so it's up to you :)

Thanks again!
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Awesome! I've been looking for an opportunity like his for some time. I will be dropping you an email possibly as soon as tomorrow. I look forward to working with you.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

My biggest issue with BoR was that the fact that you cannot use weapons. Completely kills it for me.
Mr.Q®
Yellow Belt

Post by Mr.Q® »

@MysteriousWarrior ok mate can't wait for those edits :)

@Steve Halfpenny I bet your last time with OpenBOR was some time ago, or were maybe bad mods? XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOlPcDfBA0

This is my previous and latest OpenBOR mod back then, Return of the Double Dragon. I used somes GBA sprites combined with a few edits. I know it still has some details, but as you can see, weapons are enabled.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

@ Mr.Q®, message sent 8-)
DinLee
Purple Belt

Post by DinLee »

wow I missed so much in my absence. I can't wait to see this game complete, it looks so deep! :D
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Mr.Q® wrote:@MysteriousWarrior ok mate can't wait for those edits :)

@Steve Halfpenny I bet your last time with OpenBOR was some time ago, or were maybe bad mods? XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOlPcDfBA0

This is my previous and latest OpenBOR mod back then, Return of the Double Dragon. I used somes GBA sprites combined with a few edits. I know it still has some details, but as you can see, weapons are enabled.

I had no idea.

I just realized that I have played some of your games on my Dreamcast! I have to say, and I'm not just saying this, I found your games to be the most professional at the very least. I just lost interest after a while as they became repetitive and there were no weapons and stuff. I guess they were old ones. Any latest BoR games for the Dreamcast using baseball bats and whatnot, please send this way (i.e. link me!)
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

I hope Mr.Q plans on redoing the airport level and have the treadmills running and the pits at the end of them open. so you can fall or either throw enemies in them that would be epic and bring the game a challenge as well as falling off the truck :D
Mr.Q®
Yellow Belt

Post by Mr.Q® »

http://youtu.be/rI8-UY8RzXA

I'll leave this here :)
Please post your thoughts on this!

My new site http://www.gx-openbor.blogspot.com