Double Dragon Forever 0.9.1 is out.

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Re: Double Dragon Forever 0.9.1 is out.

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Hey Cleb..um, I mean ji..er.. eh mar..uh, I mean Cleber.

Whenever I try to launch the new version of DDF I get this error code:

"This application failed to start because d3dx9_31.dll was not found."

I placed the data folder with the new engine, and even reinstalled it all again to no avail.

Also, on a side note, I don't think you have to worry about using a new handle on these forums to post links to mod updates of DDF. I don't really think that Brizo or Million get on these forums, let alone know (or care) what your handles are anyway. If you are working on this game again, that's great! If not, please don't use Brizo's request for you to stop as an excuse. I recall you saying long before Brizo's request that this project became to big for you to handle, and I can respect that. This is a truly staggering project to try and code on your own. I just think it is a shame to let this game sit idly on the shelf, half done.

This is not a project that you are turning a profit from, it's not being developed for consoles or smart phones. So, what is the worst thing that Brizo, or Million can do since you are not actually competing with them? Make you take the game offline? Once the game has gone viral, that doesn't even matter anyway. I mean just look at Streets of Rage Remake. Do you think BomberLink got sued? I doubt it. He got a C&D, made the best SoR game that has ever been done, and still has the forums up to discuss it.

Also, don't forget that you had an entire team of contributors who also invested a lot of time on this project as well, myself included. And I cannot speak for the other people who helped before, but if you officially get back to work on this project, I'm in. And like I said before, if you can't commit the time or effort to this project anymore, thats fine, and I can completely understand and respect that. The only thing that bothers me being somewhat committal, and then non committal again just to lead us back along again.

To sum this up, if you are back in on this, just commit already, I don't care if it takes another eight years until it is complete. I will help however I can. Just don't hide behind some weak excuse for not being able to truly commit to this project.

Thank you
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

"This application failed to start because d3dx9_31.dll was not found."

You don't have the latest directx, or the file "d3dx9_31.dll" is missing.

If you download this file and put it in the game folder or windows/system32 it will work.

I'm not really him/her? if that's what you mean. I'm not hiding nor do I have anything to hide.

This game is complete.

I'm ready to work on the engine anytime if I get any bug reports, wich I got absolutely none.

When I told it was too hard to handle, I was talking about editing sprites, getting them in the right format, etc. Not the programming. I can do the programming.

I would not trust the programming to anyone else, or it could end up being just another Final Fight / Streets of Rage clone, and that is not the kind of gameplay I wanted.

If you're so interested in this project, it's very easy to get it going again, just host the MOD and I host the engine.

I have heard lots of complaint lately, lots of people telling me Brizo is not going to sue me, but still nobody with the guts to host the MOD.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

I updated direct x, and now I am able to run the game. Thanks.

Very well, you want someone to host the game. That's fine, I will.

I will do so under the condition that you actually resume progress on this game, because it is very far from complete.

There are a number of graphical glitches, missing frames, and strange A.I. bugs. It would be extremely generous to say that this game is more than half finished.

You say that your main difficulty is in editing sprites. I can do that. As far as the necessary format for the game, all I need is some instruction on how to work in that format. Once I understand said format, I will assist in fixing sprites.

Also, I noticed on this latest version, that you have removed the credits of all those who contributed directly to this project, labeling it a "community project". While that may be true, it was very specific individuals who contributed to this project, and even if they are no longer actively involved, their work is still in the game. I know I was not consulted on if I wanted my name removed, and I don't want my name removed.

I understand if you are perhaps trying to protect me or the others who contributed, but it is not fair to myself or the others involved who worked hard on this project, and I think the right thing to do is put our names back in the credits. Our names are in the older versions, and those versions are up on youtube with our names visible anyway.

So, like I said, if you get back to work on this project, I will help you with sprite editing, and even set up a domain to host it.

Other than that please give credit where credit is due, and put our names back on this project.

What happens from here is entirely up to you.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Well, it will be very nice if you can host it.

I accept working in the game engine part, only to fix bugs and/or improve gameplay.

I will not add new features nor edit sprites.

There are a number of graphical glitches, missing frames, and strange A.I. bugs.

If you make more specific bug reports, I will gladly fix those.

Where do the graphical glitches happen?

In what circunstances does AI perform strange? What does it do?

I will not fix missing frames, because that's about editing sprites in the MOD, wich I'm not touching anymore.

You say that your main difficulty is in editing sprites. I can do that. As far as the necessary format for the game, all I need is some instruction on how to work in that format. Once I understand said format, I will assist in fixing sprites.

The sprites are in .PNG format. Just rename the .SPRs to .PNGs and open them in your favourite image editor, it's easy to figure out. The only thing you have to worry about is not letting pixels from frames invade each other. If your image editor has a GRID feature, you should use that.
The best way to test sprites is putting them in the game, so you can see if they're aligned, and if the animations look good. You can replace the sprite you want to test with billly, jimmy or sato to see how it looks in action.
PM or e-mail me if you need help with this.

Code: Select all

I understand if you are perhaps trying to protect me or the others who contributed, but it is not fair to myself or the others involved who worked hard on this project, and I think the right thing to do is put our names back in the credits. Our names are in the older versions, and those versions are up on youtube with our names visible anyway.

I'm very sorry I had to do that, I didn't mean to take away anyone's work, I just wanted to protect everyone who worked in this project.
I'm not sure you should talk for the others, I think you should ask them first.
The splash text is in "splash.dat", in plain text format. You can edit that.

It would be extremely generous to say that this game is more than half finished.

It's not nearly as glitchy as arcade DD1 or DD2...
Actually I found that a little bit offensive, but I'll just pretend I didn't read that.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Why you insist on differentiating the Mod from the game engine is unintelligible. If you are abandoning the mod, whats the point? That was whole the project to begin with.

I'm not sure you should talk for the others, I think you should ask them first.

That would be a case of the "pot called the kettle black", don't you think? You didn't ask anyone of it was ok to remove their name.
I actually would think the ball is in your court to contact the others involved, and ask them if they want their names attached, but I know you are probably not going to do that, are you?

Well at the very least, since this less than half complete project is essentially abandoned, the work that I have had taken from me will soon fade into absolute obscurity anyway. It's practically there now.

Poor stupid me for trying to reignite a foregone, tired conclusion.

Good luck to your continued game engine bug fixing.

I know I am just kidding myself, but if you actually decide to start working on this incomplete MOD AND game engine, let me know, otherwise, have a nice life.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

That would be a case of the "pot called the kettle black", don't you think? You didn't ask anyone of it was ok to remove their name.

In fact I had a conversation with Dean Swain, explained the situation, and he did agree it was the best thing to do.

You're getting really annoying now. Still you call it half complete, but don't point what is(are) the specific problem(s) that make it incomplete.

If you list your contributions, I can list all the "bugs" I had to fix on them.

I have played DDF many times, with my friends, with my sisters. We have even finished it a few times, and I haven't found any serious bugs, except for minor glitches caused by a few sprites that are not in good shape.

Do I have to remember you I'm not getting paid to work on this? I did it for fun, and it's getting less fun with time. If you continue to talk to me like you were my boss I will just tell you to go f$#@$ yourself. If you can't appreciate what I did, I know a few people do.

Why do you want DDF to continue being developed after all, if you think it's buggy and half complete? Why do you care about DDF if you don't think it's that good? If you want to work on something that's not "half complete", just go do another BOR mod of it and stop complaining.

If you want to work on the DDF MOD, take it. It's here, it's free, it's all yours.

Maybe if you stop complaining and start editing sprites, this project can continue.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Look, I offered to host the game under the condition that you complete it. Which means the mod itself, as well as the engine. Pretty simple.

Those were the conditions that I set, and you have chosen not to agree to them. Once again, pretty simple.

That is fine with me, I got your answer on the offer I proposed. I think the intended purpose to our conversation has officially ended.

In fact I had a conversation with Dean Swain, explained the situation, and he did agree it was the best thing to do.

That's one persons opinion, who else did you ask?

You're getting really annoying now. Still you call it half complete, but don't point what is(are) the specific problem(s) that make it incomplete.

Why waste my time if you are not going to finish it? The problems with the game are inherent in both the engine(glitches, bugs, crashes), as well as the mod (incomplete characters: i.e. characters that do not perform all of their intended A.I. functions that is beyond the scope of mere graphical fixes). You agree to finish the game, mod and all, and I will give you all the specifics I can. Hows that?

And, if I am being "annoying", it is because you are using my work on your game without giving me proper credit, and that is unethical. Therefore, I am upset. If I asked you to remove my contributions, would you?

Do I have to remember you I'm not getting paid to work on this? I did it for fun, and it's getting less fun with time. If you continue to talk to me like you were my boss I will just tell you to go f$#@$ yourself. If you can't appreciate what I did, I know a few people do.

I didn't get paid for my work either. I don't recall giving you any orders, so go ahead and tell me what you want, if that's what you choose to resort to.

Why do you want DDF to continue being developed after all, if you think it's buggy and half complete?

You just answered it for me.

Why do you care about DDF if you don't think it's that good? If you want to work on something that's not "half complete", just go do another BOR mod of it and stop complaining.

I never said it was bad. It's good...for a beta that is. I just think it is a shame to walk away from a project half finished, especially if it has potential. But, if you consider it done, then that's that.

Maybe if you stop complaining and start editing sprites, this project can continue.

You have basically said the project is complete. Those are your terms, and I have no choice but to accept them.

I was interested in helping complete the game Double Dragon Forever, which I find to be incomplete, both game engine as well as mod. You have made it abundantly clear that you are not working on the mod any more, and have merely relegated this project to minor bug, and game play fixes. Once again, I have received your answer. The intended purpose and goal of this conversation has ended.

DDF is complete, the end.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

That's one persons opinion, who else did you ask?

When someone promises me a sprite and don't e-mail me for the next 6-12 months I presume he left.

As I said, I have removed the credits because I didn't want anyone to get in trouble. This is not something I enjoyed doing, and I didn't get anything from it.

I will agree the conversation is finished if you can explain to me why do I have to work in the MOD.
Why does it have to be me? Why can't anyone else take it?
Last edited by JimmyLee on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Because the game has potential to be something truly exceptional, if you are willing to put the work into it.

You are the only person on this forum that has a true aptitude for coding games that I am aware of. That is why I have extended this offer to you.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

I accept the offer, under the condition that there's someone else to mantain the data files.