Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Rockman wrote:Brizo has opened their Official site for the iphone game!

Some really cool bios on the dragons and a few of the bosses. Abobo, Burnov (with a crazy looking new mask) and some girl named Lavis. She looks like she could be the DDi version of the sword girl from Double Dragon Zeebo!

The story portion of the site also has a cool remix of the "Mission" music that they used in DD:A!

Check it out here:

http://www.bow-mobile.com/double_dragon/eng_index.html

I'm loving the bizarre character bios, describing Billy as "Not the sharpest tool in the toolbox" was definitely LOL worthy. I also hope that I was not the only one who found humor in Abobo's mastery of the "Screw upper", likely why he is only considered a minor boss this go round. I am also liking Burnov's new mask, which looks to be heavily influenced by 'Castle Crashers' barbarian characters.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:Ok, take this with a grain of salt but if this is right we could be seeing a console release of this or another double dragon game for wii! Basically after seeing how the iphone version sort of snuck up on us and trying to find an exact release date besides simply March. So my search led me to the good ol' esrb site which as many gamers know, you can find out about quite a few games that are coming out early as more likely then not they get rated before they come out.

Well I put in "Double Dragon" into the search bar and it came up with this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see there are listings for 3 games. One is Double Dragon: Advance, another is Double Dragon which is published by Empire Interactive which is the Xbox360 port of the arcade game and the last is a game simply titled Double Dragon for.. the wii!!

Now the reason I say take this with a grain of salt is because there could be a chance that it was the iphone version but maybe mistakenly mis-labeled...

But now as I type this and after just trying something there's a good chance it could be right. I went back and typed in "Angry Birds" as I know that that game has been released on multiple platforms starting with the iphone and in the platform section for that game it says: "Mobile Phone, Nintendo DSi, PlayStation 3, PSP, Wii", which means that iphone is represented through "mobile phone" and every other platform was correctly identified...

Also of note is that the DD for wii is also published by Aksys games, the same guys who are publishing the iphone version so it isn't a listing for the Virtual Console release of the game..

It's interesting to be sure, but here's to hoping that it's an actual release!

Nice find! This is often how movie sites find out about official titles to big upcoming tentpole films, via curious lookee-loos who look as to what movie sites and trademarks are bought by big studios
(ie: how "Dark Knight Rises" was first known about)

I was gonna say, the only other possibility is that this is simply a virtual console rom of the original arcade. Yet, we HAVE seen exclusive sequels to old school arcade games on the wii, just usually wiiware downloads. Such as Contra Rebirth. Is it possible this is a wiiware game? I guess I am in the "too good to be true" column to believe I'll walk into a gamestop and see a factory pressed beautiful artwork adorned white clampshell. Chances are the wii version will be a whole new game with different graphics and levels, if it's for sure happening. (And hopefully it's not a vs fighting game!)

It's seriously cool news, and I think the only way I could be any more excited is if a ds version was announced...I'd probably faint. The last few years have seen a LOT of sequels and remakes to late 80's arcade games: from Commando 3/Mercs 2, Contra 4 and Contra Rebirth, NARC 2005, Rampage for the Wii, Outrun 2, Golden Axe 360, etc...but I always appreciate when a game can stay 2d, or at least 2.5d(ala Strider 2) Sooo...if this is for sure a physical title for the Wii, I'm guessing it'd have a suggested retail price of $14.99-$19.99, and be out sometime this summer? Given the amount of new characters, new design, new levels, new everything...I'm almost tempted to call this the "real Double Dragon 5" or least a new sequel rather than simply a remake.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Actually, that listing is for the Virtual Console release of Double Dragon on the NES. I've found several websites that list Aksys Games as the publisher of the Virtual Console version, so there's no doubt in my mind that's what is listed on the ESRB page. That's too bad because I could really go for a WiiWare Double Dragon title.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

DojoMaster wrote:Actually, that listing is for the Virtual Console release of Double Dragon on the NES. I've found several websites that list Aksys Games as the publisher of the Virtual Console version, so there's no doubt in my mind that's what is listed on the ESRB page. That's too bad because I could really go for a WiiWare Double Dragon title.

Aw, too good to be true then. Would be kind of a waste if all that creative energy re: DDi didn't lend it's way to other platforms other than cellphones(like say, the ds)
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Ok.. So I was SO excited about DDi that I actually found a way to get to the sites source swf files and then decompiled them to see if maybe there was anything laying around in the code or the objects. Anyone who knows about game sites know that usually stuff like this happens, especially when there is sort of a "countdown" system in place for the site (i.e. how all the boss characters aren't shown). So I went in hoping that I'd at least score some unobstructed character art for a really cool avatar and I got MUCH more from it!

So if anyone is interested, here is the site rip of the Double Dragon Iphone site and some of the REALLY cool things I found!

First off is the picture of Billy, Jimmy and Marian from the "Story" part of the page which is actually a pretty cool piece of art. We get to see the dragons and Marian in clothes other then what we've seen them in before and they're shaolin style clothes:

I was also able to rip the Snipit of the "Mission" screen from the site too! It's a pretty cool remix of the mission music from DDA which is of course a slower version of the old Nes and Arcade mission music! It's literally maybe 12 seconds long but awesome nonetheless.

Mission Screen Snipit.mp3 - 0.02MB

Next up is where it really gets good. After ripping the "Character" portion of the site I was able to decompile the swf and get these really cool stand alone pics of the characters (Forgive that they're all a little different in width and length as I print screened em from the program I was using and cut them in paint):

First off is Billy of course:

Then next is my fav, Jimmy!:

Followed by the 3 Bosses that we know so far: Abobo, Lavis and Burnov respectively:

So that's it for what we know... Now for the last 3 Bosses!! One of them We'd have no way of knowing and the other one is obviously a given.. But the last one freakin blew my mind if only to see him in THIS form! You guys ready?

First there's Big Boss Machine Gun Wily Mackey. No surprises here but his art freaking rocks:

Next up is a chick who resembles the fat headphones wearing boss from the Double Dragon Zeebo game, the one me and my friends named "Fat Duck King" because of his resemblance to the SNK character, but seriously she looks so similar to him she could be his sister or something:

Annnd finally the boss that got me the most excited/amped/nostalgic...... NES VERSION OF CHIN!!!

I was crazy psyched to see THIS version of the character! Not that I didn't like chin with sticks but this guy was an NES exclusive and as such I have this nostalgic spot for him in my heart! Plus it sucked that you could just leave and pass the stage without beating him back in the day hahaha.

The last 3 weren't in order, obviously wily is the last boss, but since we already knew that I just spaced em' that way for dramatic effect lol. So what we can take away from this site rip is 2 things for sure:

1. The game is 6 levels long (we could've figured that out before but with only those 6 being in the sites files, it's pretty much cemented now).

2. This game is WAYYY different from the Zeebo version in terms of characters at the very least. The generic thugs shown in the trailer all resemble the zeebo thugs in one way or another and mostly just have different fighting stances or clothes (Linda is sporting her DD2 mowhawk look), but lapis, duck king girl and nes chin are NOWHERE to be found in the zeebo version so basically a whole new game for us!

Oh and speaking of trailers there is an extended gameplay video of what we see in the first few seconds of the trailer with Billy on the first stage! If anyone has watched my tutorial on DD:Z then you know how into the combat system I am. Well this video proves that unlike the Zeebo version where certain moves can only juggle after other moves, you have the full run of moves to juggle with in this game! Pretty much if you can think it then you can do it!

Watch at about 27 seconds into the video Billy hits Punch x2 -> Uppercut -> Jump into cyclone kick -> Jump into dive kick -> Hyper knee! Also it seems that earlier in the video when Billy grabs he is seen doing stomach punches as opposed to the old muy thai knees up close.. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgmUt3lf1Fo

So yeah guys, that's about the it! Brizo has been saying on the Facebook page that the game is due out early March, so only a few more weeks left!! I got my iphone and my tv-out cable ready you guys, so expect videos! So hyped!!
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Very nice work there Rockman.

I like Billy and Chin's artwork. Jimmy I'm not so fond of. They got his hair wrong and his face is a little off. The rest are pretty good. Though I have to say it's strange to see a sexy female character as an enemy. Linda was always a bit butch and you never felt bad about punching her in the face, especially when she got that Mohawk in Double Dragon II.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Amazing work, as always. I have to say, just personally, this is the most exciting new DD game for me in 19 years. I remain rather mixed on DDA, I love DD Neo Geo, but DDi just has this symphonic fluidity to the moves and I really like the modern look to the characters. Having two stylish girl bosses just rocks my argyle socks. And Chin! I know he made his arcade debut in DD2, but I did like how Chin was the one
exclusive guy to DD NES. I wish this could be seven levels, but overall this looks amazing.

So we know level 1 is the classic slums, and level 3 is apparently a college or high school(strangely enough) Really curious as to what the remaining four levels are(again, guessing stage 6 is a revamped Willy hideout stage) I can only imagine how awesome it'd be to play through the game as Lavis or that other girl as unlockable characters. I wish they'd include a Vs mode, but so far this looks amazing.

What are the other characters you can tell so far? I'm seeing Williams, Roper and Linda so far...any others?
Also Rockman, what are the three main things you're excited about regarding this?
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

DojoMaster wrote:Very nice work there Rockman.

I like Billy and Chin's artwork. Jimmy I'm not so fond of. They got his hair wrong and his face is a little off. The rest are pretty good. Though I have to say it's strange to see a sexy female character as an enemy. Linda was always a bit butch and you never felt bad about punching her in the face, especially when she got that Mohawk in Double Dragon II.

I kind of dig it, I know Evoga was basically trying to bring DD into the modern anime stylish look with their unofficial game. (still not sure why they did that knowing they didnt have the licence)

But as a fan of the look of Aksys games, especially Blaz Blu(as well as SNK's King of Fighters) I always envisioned a DD game using more modern anime stylings. (as much as I love the DD1 and DD2 arcade look)
Kind of cool to see multiple female boss characters.

Also, just saw this

Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

GAME IS OUT!!!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doubledr ... 95028?mt=8

and it's only $3.99!!

I got the tv-out wire for my ipod and I'm gonna see if I can record some video sometime this weekend for you guys! Get hyped! DD is back!

EDIT: So of course I should be getting ready to go to work but I played through the first stage lol. Initial impressions is that the game is fricken AWESOME! The music, while it is the standard double dragon stage musics, have been completely arranged! Almost to the level of the DD2 Arranged soundtrack I'd say (I even heard some saxophones in city slum theme!). Just going through the help menu I can see they put A LOT of work into this game! So many moves that you start with and even then there's an experience system (like dd1 nes) that adds even MORE moves! Unlinke dd nes though the moves you start with are more then enough to get through the game (you start with every move from the zeebo/dd:a version) so I'm really excited to see what else you can get. Also there are cutscenes with dialogue between the dragons and the bosses, both before and after a fight. So not only do you get to trash talk abobo before the fight but he gives you the clue as to where to go right afterwards.. Nice touch Brizo!

Also much like the manuals would hint at back in the day: Jimmy is good at punching and Billy is good at kicking... which they actually incorporate into this game! Jimmy's punches take more life and vice versa! Finally another reason to play your favorite dragon besides you just liking one character better then the other! Also looking ast the character select screen there seems to be a total of 26 characters available for play (including Billy and Jimmy)!

Now I gotta admit the cons of it... Touch screen controls are not awesome =( . They don't ruin the game totally, but being a person who's played through both DD:A and DD:Z religiously I know that using EVERY move is what its all about whether in juggles or anything else.. the touch screen controls make that VERY hard. Like I said it's playable but the game is so fast paced that sometimes you miss the buttons and other times you can't get to them fast enough while your enemy is airborne in a juggle.

Like I said before I'm praying that the android version has keyboard support so that we can use the wiimote app to play the game with the classic controller, or hell maybe if we badger them enough they'd add bluetooth keyboard support to the ipod/iphone version so that we can do the same thing here. Anyone who's with me please help launch a campaign aimed at their facebook and twitter accounts because they actually answer to both!

But bottom line is DD is BACK and this game, even if the controls take some getting used to, does indeed rock!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:GAME IS OUT!!!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doubledr ... 95028?mt=8

and it's only $3.99!!

I got the tv-out wire for my ipod and I'm gonna see if I can record some video sometime this weekend for you guys! Get hyped! DD is back!

EDIT: So of course I should be getting ready to go to work but I played through the first stage lol. Initial impressions is that the game is fricken AWESOME! The music, while it is the standard double dragon stage musics, have been completely arranged! Almost to the level of the DD2 Arranged soundtrack I'd say (I even heard some saxophones in city slum theme!). Just going through the help menu I can see they put A LOT of work into this game! So many moves that you start with and even then there's an experience system (like dd1 nes) that adds even MORE moves! Unlinke dd nes though the moves you start with are more then enough to get through the game (you start with every move from the zeebo/dd:a version) so I'm really excited to see what else you can get. Also there are cutscenes with dialogue between the dragons and the bosses, both before and after a fight. So not only do you get to trash talk abobo before the fight but he gives you the clue as to where to go right afterwards.. Nice touch Brizo!

Also much like the manuals would hint at back in the day: Jimmy is good at punching and Billy is good at kicking... which they actually incorporate into this game! Jimmy's punches take more life and vice versa! Finally another reason to play your favorite dragon besides you just liking one character better then the other! Also looking ast the character select screen there seems to be a total of 26 characters available for play (including Billy and Jimmy)!

Now I gotta admit the cons of it... Touch screen controls are not awesome =( . They don't ruin the game totally, but being a person who's played through both DD:A and DD:Z religiously I know that using EVERY move is what its all about whether in juggles or anything else.. the touch screen controls make that VERY hard. Like I said it's playable but the game is so fast paced that sometimes you miss the buttons and other times you can't get to them fast enough while your enemy is airborne in a juggle.

Like I said before I'm praying that the android version has keyboard support so that we can use the wiimote app to play the game with the classic controller, or hell maybe if we badger them enough they'd add bluetooth keyboard support to the ipod/iphone version so that we can do the same thing here. Anyone who's with me please help launch a campaign aimed at their facebook and twitter accounts because they actually answer to both!

But bottom line is DD is BACK and this game, even if the controls take some getting used to, does indeed rock!

Wow, only $4 bucks? My friend and I just had to pay $15 for the new Contra game(Hard Corps Uprising) which is also a digital download. Also didn't know this would be out this early in March, nice!
The exp+ move system is a nice touch, didn't know they'd be going with that. I had a feeling though, like most iphone games, that the controls would be a bit wonky. I wish there was a usb out for controllers or something. Not even the ipad2 has usb...I guess the guys at apple aren't as bright as they think they are. One would think in 4 years of the iphone being out there, someone woulda figured out a clever way to map controls to an external device. Controls aside, sounds like it's pretty glorious. I take it the scrolling/frame rate/hit detection is good too? Can't wait to see a direct video feed and a full run down of all the stages/bosses/moves/ending.