Double Dragon Zeebo!

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Zeebo!

Post by mechapop »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:
mechapop wrote:I always imagined what the DD2 NES game would have been like with the arcade graphics.

There is actually a fan game, designed to be exactly that. It's called Double Dragon Extreme.

There is an Ultimate Ownage review of it, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZUtYyUCWA

You can also see some screenshots, at http://www.vazcomics.org/mamend/gamend/mods/ddex.htm . You'll have to scroll down a bit, though - It goes through DD 1 and 2, before getting to DDX.

Having said all that, the PC Engine version of DD2 is pretty dead-on.

Nice! I remember loving DD2 simply because it was DD2, but I couldnt help but feel deja vu. The DD for the NES was so nice looking for the time, and I always just felt it woulda been something if the arcade DD2 had felt more adventuresome than simply being the exact same layout as DD1.

...now...if only there was a fan made PROPER "DD3" that took the DD1/DD2 styled graphics and used the NES layout of DD3:)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Amen to that.

Or even better, A DD3 that combines the original look with only the good parts of both DD3 and NES DD III (three player gaming, the new characters, the Neo-Shadows), and ditches the rubbish.

Honestly, that's what I was hoping for, when DD Advance was released. There'd be a DDA2, which would be like a combination of PC Engine DD2 and DDX, and then DDA3 - which would totally rewrite the stain on Double Dragon History, that is DD III.

The closest thing I could find was another fan game (the name escapes me at the moment, maybe DD3X), which uses sprites from all three arcade games, on the backgrounds from DD3. It also replaces Cleopatra with the Dragon Ninja. I remember seeing youtube videos, so they're there, if you're interested.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:Amen to that.

Or even better, A DD3 that combines the original look with only the good parts of both DD3 and NES DD III (three player gaming, the new characters, the Neo-Shadows), and ditches the rubbish.

Honestly, that's what I was hoping for, when DD Advance was released. There'd be a DDA2, which would be like a combination of PC Engine DD2 and DDX, and then DDA3 - which would totally rewrite the stain on Double Dragon History, that is DD III.

The closest thing I could find was another fan game (the name escapes me at the moment, maybe DD3X), which uses sprites from all three arcade games, on the backgrounds from DD3. It also replaces Cleopatra with the Dragon Ninja. I remember seeing youtube videos, so they're there, if you're interested.

Maybe they all got taken down or are only on obscure Spanish sites, but I can't find any of the good DD fan games(DD Gaiden, Extreme or Forever)

Man...it's funny to compare my sheer elation upon happening upon DD1 summer of 87 at my local mini golf, DD2 at a mall arcade Christmas of 1988.....
and then the sheer disgust a few years later in 1991 when I saw "Double Dragon 3". Ooof...I was like "Did Crime Fighters and Combatribes mate and have an ugly baby".
Now I dig both those games, but it seems like they were trying to make a Crime Fighters looking game...so slow and awkward, completely doesn't work. I mean sure
SDD SNES also looks completely different than DD1 and 2, but the look of it, endless moves, music, etc works for me. But yeah, DD3...I got through the arcade and genesis,
but vowed never to play those horrid games again. Sadly, the NES DD3 while being amazing, is too hard for me even two decades later.

Now some might find it odd, but I consider DD Neo Geo part of the DD canon. Especially since it has characters from all the previous series(like the ninja, Burnov and Duke)
I only wish it was a Neo Geo sidescroller like Sengoku...and I can imagine what a fan game using the sprites in a side scroller beatemup would be like. Funnily enough, didnt
Technos release a side scroller in 1992 called "Silent Dragon"? Now that shoulda been DD3.

Yeah, like when Final Fight One came out, I was hoping for DD2 Advance. Sadly no FFTwo or Three either. But I have hopes for DDiphone.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

mechapop wrote:Yeah, like when Final Fight One came out, I was hoping for DD2 Advance. Sadly no FFTwo or Three either. But I have hopes for DDiphone.

I question how good FF2 actually is. I think it needs reworking somewhat (not enough enemies on screen and it's a little dull for me). FF3 was much better.

Out of interest, Retro Gamer did an interview with the guys who did Final Fight Double Impact (UK people funnily enough) and they were saying the reason the Final Fight sequels weren't included was due to the hardware differences (perhaps obviously). They would have had to include a SNES emulator. But I wouldn't say a pack featuring FF2 and FF3 wasn't out of the question...
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
mechapop wrote:Yeah, like when Final Fight One came out, I was hoping for DD2 Advance. Sadly no FFTwo or Three either. But I have hopes for DDiphone.

I question how good FF2 actually is. I think it needs reworking somewhat (not enough enemies on screen and it's a little dull for me). FF3 was much better.

Out of interest, Retro Gamer did an interview with the guys who did Final Fight Double Impact (UK people funnily enough) and they were saying the reason the Final Fight sequels weren't included was due to the hardware differences (perhaps obviously). They would have had to include a SNES emulator. But I wouldn't say a pack featuring FF2 and FF3 wasn't out of the question...

You know, I think you may be right. Something did strike me as odd about FF2, and I remember not feeling as thrilled as I thought I'd be while playing through it. Subsequently I've only played it a few times.
FF3 I thought was glorious, loved the combos/level designs/character updates. Strange they never made another side scroller, just the Saturn vs fighter and that forgettable "Street Wise".
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

mechapop wrote:You know, I think you may be right. Something did strike me as odd about FF2, and I remember not feeling as thrilled as I thought I'd be while playing through it. Subsequently I've only played it a few times.

It's clearly made with the SNES tech in mind. They only had 8 meg to play with in regards to the original and I'm guessing there is a limited amount of enemies on screen in the sequel due to the SNES' slow processor. But I'm not 100% sure. They were far better FF style games on the SNES than FF bizarrely.

mechapop wrote: Strange they never made another side scroller, just the Saturn vs fighter and that forgettable "Street Wise".

Games made outside of Capcom Japan = usually duff, y'see. Thankfully I've never played either, nor do I want to. I don't think it was strange they never made another side scroller; they won't take a chance, especially on what is considered a dead genre. Hell, can you believe that they nearly never commissioned SFIV?!! Crazy! If they won't go for a new entry in arguably their most popular series, why take a chance on an old hat style beat 'em up? Sad I know and it pains me to say it.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
mechapop wrote:You know, I think you may be right. Something did strike me as odd about FF2, and I remember not feeling as thrilled as I thought I'd be while playing through it. Subsequently I've only played it a few times.

It's clearly made with the SNES tech in mind. They only had 8 meg to play with in regards to the original and I'm guessing there is a limited amount of enemies on screen in the sequel due to the SNES' slow processor. But I'm not 100% sure. They were far better FF style games on the SNES than FF bizarrely.

mechapop wrote: Strange they never made another side scroller, just the Saturn vs fighter and that forgettable "Street Wise".

Games made outside of Capcom Japan = usually duff, y'see. Thankfully I've never played either, nor do I want to. I don't think it was strange they never made another side scroller; they won't take a chance, especially on what is considered a dead genre. Hell, can you believe that they nearly never commissioned SFIV?!! Crazy! If they won't go for a new entry in arguably their most popular series, why take a chance on an old hat style beat 'em up? Sad I know and it pains me to say it.

I remember the insane popularity of Street Fighter 2 when it came out in 91'. I had actually been a fan of the 1987 original, and welcomed SF2. I absolutely *LOVED* Super Street Fighter though.
I don't know why it took six years for a proper third game, and then what, 11 more years for a fourth. But with all the Alphas, MVC, and Capcom vs SNK they had plenty of franchises(my fave SF game of all time is Capcom vs SNK 2 from 2001)

The genre definitely has been dead since the mid 1990's, as far as side scrolling brawlers. I believe 94-95 is the last time there was a rash of them. But geez, from 1989-1994 there was like a bazillion
Final Fight clones and side scroller beat-em-ups in general. from so many different companies. Alien vs Predator is by far my favorite of the Capcom series, but I also love Dinosaurs and Cadillacs and the original Street Fighter. TMNT 1989 is another one of my favorites. I think these represented a certain time and place that can't be replicated.
Zox
Yellow Belt

Post by Zox »

where can i find soundtrack from DD Zeebo
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

I don't think anyone has made the soundtrack available given how rare the game is. But hopefully someone can rip the soundtrack for you.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Actually I did rip the soundtrack a few pages back in this very thread, alas the link is down.

So here I come to save the day!

Re-upped it for ya, Enjoy ;)

Double Dragon Zeebo OST - http://www.sendspace.com/file/5tniix