Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

Post by mechapop »

I thought Million was the ultimate copyrighter holder now for Double Dragon? It's now this "Brizo Interactive"?

You know, I had a thought. What would it take for any one of the emerging indie developers/indie garage/shovelware/app companies to work with Brizo to develop a "Double Dragon 5" for the Nintendo Ds, Dsware, Wiiware, XBLive or PSN? Or a "Double Dragon Evolution"(or insert other catch phrase)?

Remember, it was not Konami who made Contra 4 for DS, but an American indie developer comprised of contra fanboys who grew up with the series. What would it take for serious fans with coding/graphic/etc chops to develop a game with the legal approval of Brizo? Heck, Data East's properties have been breathed new life. And forgotten games like Bionic Commando, MERCS/Commando, Contra, etc have been breathed new life in recent years with remakes and sequels.

In a crazy way, maybe this Brizo would be easier to work with than a monolithic juggernaut like Capcom or Sega? There MUST be some people who work at serious indie developers with publishing clout that are DD fans, and could propose something. Imagine how fun it'd be to work on the first new DD sequel in ages. Heck, maybe even find someone involved with Technos Japan's DD for guidance or involvement.

For the first time since 1988, it'd also be a chance to bring the character graphics BACK to where they should be, something DDF and a lot of the fan games got right(I just didnt care for the graphical revisioning in DDA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

For what it's worth, Brizo is the company that made Double Dragon Zeebo, also million is credited in the games credits as well so that adds to the confusion. Maybe because so much of DD:Z is based of DD:A's engine?
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

mechapop wrote:In a crazy way, maybe this Brizo would be easier to work with than a monolithic juggernaut like Capcom or Sega? There MUST be some people who work at serious indie developers with publishing clout that are DD fans, and could propose something. Imagine how fun it'd be to work on the first new DD sequel in ages. Heck, maybe even find someone involved with Technos Japan's DD for guidance or involvement.

I've often thought that. However, the people I've met in the business tend to want to do their own thing mostly and throw in tributes to their favorite games of the past rather than wanting to reinvent the wheel like me and you would. Still, there's gotta be someone out there...
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
mechapop wrote:In a crazy way, maybe this Brizo would be easier to work with than a monolithic juggernaut like Capcom or Sega? There MUST be some people who work at serious indie developers with publishing clout that are DD fans, and could propose something. Imagine how fun it'd be to work on the first new DD sequel in ages. Heck, maybe even find someone involved with Technos Japan's DD for guidance or involvement.

I've often thought that. However, the people I've met in the business tend to want to do their own thing mostly and throw in tributes to their favorite games of the past rather than wanting to reinvent the wheel like me and you would. Still, there's gotta be someone out there...

No better time than now for crazy retro remakes/sequels/etc. Heck Namco has put out so many remixes/remakes/sequels to Pacman, Burger Time, Xevious, etc in the last few years(for mobile phones, pc, ds, etc) I think there was even a sequel to MERCS a couple years ago, and then the Bionic Commando Rearmed 1 and 2. Sadly, sometimes retro buzz warrants only a re-release, such as "Final Fight Double Impact".
(that Final Fight Street Smart was terrible though)
Contra 4 came out of left field for me, basically sounded like some American developers who were fans persuaded Konami to go for it. DDA was a surprise to me, but I bet there's people in the industry who'd be into the idea of a new DD game.

Besides DD, I'd love to see the remake/sequel/remix treatment given to Strider(I'd LOVE a Strider 3), The Ninja Warriors, Toobin...heck, even Bad Dudes or Chase HQ.
Steve Halfpenny

The Mercs remake / sequel was in fact Commando 3, the third in that series of course and did indeed come out a year or two ago. I have the game on my XBox and it was okay. It never quite went all the way with the craziness on screen. Stick to the original games, they're classics. I think the 1942 update was probably better but I never did get round to downloading that one.

There's way too many games that require the remake treatment besides DD. I could imagine Chase HQ getting an Out Run 2 style makeover. For some reason though, I can't see Taito showing it most interest. They've had mixed results with remakes from the excellent (Arkanoid) to the awful (the Rainbow Islands remakes are bloody terrible!).
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:The Mercs remake / sequel was in fact Commando 3, the third in that series of course and did indeed come out a year or two ago. I have the game on my XBox and it was okay. It never quite went all the way with the craziness on screen. Stick to the original games, they're classics. I think the 1942 update was probably better but I never did get round to downloading that one.

There's way too many games that require the remake treatment besides DD. I could imagine Chase HQ getting an Out Run 2 style makeover. For some reason though, I can't see Taito showing it most interest. They've had mixed results with remakes from the excellent (Arkanoid) to the awful (the Rainbow Islands remakes are bloody terrible!).

For randomsakes, I typed into google arcade remakes/sequels, and I came across this:
from 2007, Taito did a "Chase HQ 2" with modern graphics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgoRFKKbn24

I LOVED Mercs, though Commando was nice in that classic Ikari/Gunsmoke kind of way. It gets confusing as some promotional materials seem to make the Japanese Bionic Commando out to vaguely be a sequel(which makes no sense to me as it's a different perspective) Even more confusing is how there's Captain Commando, heh.

What are some of your favorite remakes/sequels to old school games? I LOVED the 1994 SNES Ninja Warriors Again and wish they could have continued the series. Strider 3 as mentioned has to be my #1 wish for a game, as with a new 2d Final Fight. It seems the smart phones are the platform of choice for these sort of games. I still need to check out Contra Rebirth

Btw, was there an Arkanoid Sequel after the SNES one in 1998? I have the 2008 ds Arkanoid, which seems to have gone in a whole new direction with the theme.
I'd have to say the muddy mid 2000 3d remakes of classic games were the worst(NARC, Final Fight Street Wise, etc)
Steve Halfpenny

mechapop wrote:Btw, was there an Arkanoid Sequel after the SNES one in 1998? I have the 2008 ds Arkanoid, which seems to have gone in a whole new direction with the theme.

I was thinking of Arkanoid Returns on the PS1 and the more recent XBox Live game (is this the same one as the DS?). Both excellent either way.

I'd like to see some Data East games get the makeover. Robocop, Midnight Resistance (even though it's a Contra tribute really but with an excellent soundtrack and great 2 player mode).. stuff like that. R-Type has already been done to perfection... Other shoot em ups like Gradius... Gradius V I absolutely adore and wish there was a further sequel by now (I don't really include Gradius Rebirth though it is very good for what it is). Maybe they could finally do Salamander 3... I dunno. I could be here all night!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
mechapop wrote:Btw, was there an Arkanoid Sequel after the SNES one in 1998? I have the 2008 ds Arkanoid, which seems to have gone in a whole new direction with the theme.

I was thinking of Arkanoid Returns on the PS1 and the more recent XBox Live game (is this the same one as the DS?). Both excellent either way.

I'd like to see some Data East games get the makeover. Robocop, Midnight Resistance (even though it's a Contra tribute really but with an excellent soundtrack and great 2 player mode).. stuff like that. R-Type has already been done to perfection... Other shoot em ups like Gradius... Gradius V I absolutely adore and wish there was a further sequel by now (I don't really include Gradius Rebirth though it is very good for what it is). Maybe they could finally do Salamander 3... I dunno. I could be here all night!

Oh gosh, I can't even keep up with all the Gradius games:) I'm glad R-type as well has gotten the remake/sequel treatment, tho the original cryptic biological look will always be my favorite. I remember happening upon the arcade game in 1987 and just marveling at it. Too bad the Bydo alien level 1 boss statue is just a fan garage kit.

And I LOVE me some Data East. Im glad the company is "back" in tribute form
http://dataeastgames.com/?p=181

Was Two Crude Dudes an official sequel to Bad Dudes? Or just kind of in a similar vein? Sadly I think the only sequels by Data East I can remember were Robocop 2(which oddly switched from a run and gun to beat em up) and Fighter's History.

My favorite Data East game tho? Heavy Barrel. I can still vividly recall the soundbyte samples, music, graphics, gameplay and sound effects(as well as the cabinet itself) to this day.
Now thats a game I'd LOVE to see a remake or sequel too(as much as I admit it was basically a clone of Ikari Warriors, tho a lot better than other clones in my view like Guerrilla War or Time Soldier)
Steve Halfpenny

Good link btw.

mechapop wrote:Was Two Crude Dudes an official sequel to Bad Dudes? Or just kind of in a similar vein?

I can't see it. The main characters are just too different. I suppose it's a sequel in the way that Vigilante is the sequel to Kung Fu Master (different characters and storyline but similar gameplay and level design).

Also, Bad Dudes is only "Bad Dudes" in the US. Not sure what was with the name change but I always felt DragonNinja was a much cleaner name (the full title, Bad Dudes Vs DragonNinja is a just silly). Wonder what the explanation for that was? In a similar manner, arcade game Crudebuster was renamed Two Crude Dudes for the Megadrive / Genesis, which I can totally understand.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Good link btw.

mechapop wrote:Was Two Crude Dudes an official sequel to Bad Dudes? Or just kind of in a similar vein?

I can't see it. The main characters are just too different. I suppose it's a sequel in the way that Vigilante is the sequel to Kung Fu Master (different characters and storyline but similar gameplay and level design).

Also, Bad Dudes is only "Bad Dudes" in the US. Not sure what was with the name change but I always felt DragonNinja was a much cleaner name (the full title, Bad Dudes Vs DragonNinja is a just silly). Wonder what the explanation for that was? In a similar manner, arcade game Crudebuster was renamed Two Crude Dudes for the Megadrive / Genesis, which I can totally understand.

Oh it was simply part of the whole American youth "no way, that's like totally radical/bad to the max man!" kind of slang that went along with the late 80's. Hence "Bad Dudes", or "Kid Niki Radical Ninja" or
Ninja Taro getting called "Rad Action" at the arcades. Or Rad Racer. I have a fondness for that time a lot more than the marketing of the mid 90's which tried to be all "in your face" or extreme.

I find it funny how some arcade sites call Vigilante a sequel to Kung Fu Master, as while that was based on an old Jackie Chan Movie, from what I recall there was a few sequels to that(C64 and other systems)

I would say the massive glut of side scrolling brawlers was definitely 1991-1993. There was literally a zillion Final Fight Clones(Riot City, Silent Dragon, Knuckle Bash, Undercover Cops, etc)

Btw, I don't get why some sites refer to Midnight Resistance as the "sequel" to Heavy Barrel. I'm not sure if it shares the same characters or world, but I feel when a game completely switches perspectives/genres, even if it's tied into it it's more of simply a spinoff. Like that Zelda like Golden Axe RPG or the "side scrolling Chase HQ" called Crime City.