Double Dragon III Famicom version script translation

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Jonny2x4

Double Dragon III Famicom version script translation

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I took the liberty of translating the script for the Japanese Famicom of Double Dragon III: The Rosetta Stone. As some of you might already know, the NES version of Double Dragon III underwent a massive script rewrite for its English localization in what seems to be an attempt to make the plot a bit more engrossing.

The basic plot in the Famicom version is much closer to the arcade game, in which Billy and Jimmy are just helping out Hiruko for the heck of it. Marian is not even mentioned in the game and the final boss is actually Cleopatra, just like in the arcade. The plot in the first stage involves Billy and Jimmy fighting the newly revived Black Warriors to avenge the death of their student Brett (who is called Aldo in the Japanese version for some reason). The boss of the first stage is named Jim and is revealed to be the elder brother of Willy, the bad guy from the first game. The English localization ditched the whole Neo Black Warriors sub-plot and instead ties Brett's death to the main plot. The dialogue is also a lot more embellished and the ending epilogues are a bit different. Also, Mission 4 in the Japanese version actually has some purpose, whereas in the English version its mainly a filler stage and Hiruko doesn't give you the third stone until defeating the Italian boss.

There are some gameplay differences too. Your characters begin each stage with a bit more energy and there seems to be less enemies in the Japanese version, making the game a bit easier. On the other hand, you need to complete the game with all characters to see their portions of the ending, meaning that if you beat the final boss with only Chin, then you'll only see Chin's portion of ending. Also, Hiruko's face disappears from the player select sub-screen after she dies.

In my personal opinion, neither version of the story is that great. The Japanese version's premise is pretty bland, even by Double Dragon standards, the Neo Black Warriors sub-plot has nothing to do with the rest of the game, and the Lee brothers don't have any real motive for helping Hiruko out (whose evil character is even more obvious in this version). On the other hand, the English version has quite a few plot and the way they attempted to shoehorn Marion into plot doesn't work out that well. Either way, its hard to rewrite a script that isn't very good to begin with without some massive changes to the plot that would probably require to recreate the game from scratch.

Anyway, here it is.

Billy and Jimmy went on a journey to perfect their art of Sousetsuken.
Two years later, after completing their training, they met a fortune teller named Hiruko.
If you wish to become the world's mightiest, then you must solve the riddle of Egypt. You will need the three Rosetta Stones.
However, no one has ever made it back alive. Hee hee hee.

Aldo: "Sensei... The Dojo... It was the Neo Black Warriors...
Aldo: "Their boss Jim is plotting to take over the city."

Hiruko: "Jim was the elder brother of Willy, the man you defeated three years ago."
Hiruko: "However, the true battle is just beginning."
Hiruko: "A man in China is said to possess the first stone. Hurry!"

Chin:" So you've come, Double Dragons!"
Chin: "I am Chin Seimei!"
Chin: "My brother Chin Taimei fell before your art of Sousetsuken.
Chin: "Now you shall witness the secret skills of the art of Mouko Gazanken."

Chin: "You have overcome my martial art... I have one of the Rosetta Stones!"
Chin: "But, I wish to join you! I promised I won't shame you."
Hiruko: "We got the first stone. The next one is in Japan."

Ranzou: "Who do you think you are, coming here to beat my pupils?"
Ranzou: "You feel honored that you will cut down by with my own blade."

Ranzou: "I indeed have the stone in my possession. It seems that I am still inexperienced."
Ranzou: "Allow me to join you. I should serve you well!"
Hiruko: "Now we have two only of the stones with us."
Hiruko: "It seems there's an important clue in Rome that will help us solve the Egyptian riddle."

Hiruko: "That man had the map to the Pyramid. As for the last stone..."
Hiruko: "The truth is that it was in my possession all along. From now on you will need by assistance."
Hiruko: "Only I know how to open the door to the Pyramid... Hee hee hee"

Hiruko: "The fourth Rosetta Stone is hidden behind that door."
Hiruko:"Unless we get it, then our efforts would've been for nothing."
Hiruko: "Hurry, go!"

Hiruko: "I couldn't help it, but deceive you gullible fools."
Hiruko: "You helped make this an easy trip for me."
Hiruko: "Behind this door likes Cleopatra's treasure and its all mine!"
Hiruko: "This... can't be... My treasure..."

After the battle was over, our heroes decide to donate Cleopatra to a charity for less fortunate children.
Billy Lee - Continues to spread the teachings of Sousetsuken around the world with his elder brother Jimmy.
Chin Seimei - Returned to his home country of Hong Kong to study Shaolin Kung-Fu
Yagyu Ranzou - Returned to Japan to challenge his old adversaries, the Koga Ninja.
Jimmy Lee - Continues to spread the teachings of Sousetsuken around the world with his younger brother Billy.
When the three stones become one, their power will change the world.
Afro-Shroom
Yellow Belt

Re: Double Dragon III Famicom version script translation

Post by Afro-Shroom »

Hmm...quite a bit of info you put here. Well I for one would like to at least thank you for sharing this info with us and keep up the excellent work. :D
"There's no 'I' in team, Griff."
"Yeah, there's no 'U' either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and your not on the team, then nobody's on the god damn team! the team sucks!" ~ Red vs Blue, Ep. 42
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Oh my god that last bit of dialogue almost makes me want to gag!

But thanks for translating that. Sure was an interesting read.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

I would also like to add my thanks for the translation.

And I agree that niether version of DD III's storyline is that great. This is because they're both based on East Tech's arcade perversion. The Neo-Black Warriors only appeared in the first level, and the Jim's Revenge sub-plot should have been the central plot.

On the plus side, this does resolve an issue that was bugging me, for a bit: Marion is really dead, after DD II. The arcade ending was kinda ambiguous, and only the NES and PC Engine versions have the revival thing.

Speaking of which, does anybody know where I can find English translations of the PC Engine DD II port?
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:I would also like to add my thanks for the translation.

And I agree that niether version of DD III's storyline is that great. This is because they're both based on East Tech's arcade perversion. The Neo-Black Warriors only appeared in the first level, and the Jim's Revenge sub-plot should have been the central plot.

From my understanding, the arcade and NES version of Double Dragon 3 were developed almost simultaneously. Yoshihisa Kishimoto, who directed the first Double Dragon, claims he directed both versions of DD3, even though his name doesn't appear in the end credits of the arcade version. The subtitle of "The Rosetta Stone" was actually his idea, which he took from a British pop band from the 70's (unaware at the time of what the Rosetta Stone actually was).

http://wind.ap.teacup.com/kishi/

On the plus side, this does resolve an issue that was bugging me, for a bit: Marion is really dead, after DD II. The arcade ending was kinda ambiguous, and only the NES and PC Engine versions have the revival thing.

Only in the arcade version. The manga-like manual that came with the Famicom version of Double Dragon III had Marian giving a tutorial on how to play the game. And the Famicom version of Double Dragon II always give you the "good" ending no matter what difficulty setting you beat the game on (unlike the NES version, which forces you to beat the game on "Supreme Master" to see the ending). So she's still alive in the Famicom/NES continuity. Not that it matters, since the later games hardly follow the continuity of previous games.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I was browsing the back-issues of Nintendo Power available at Retromags and I've found this preview of DD3 in the November/December 1990 issue (Dr. Mario cover).

Further proof that they were originally going to use an almost literal translation of the original script. The text on the second screenshot says "Billy went on a journey to complete his martial arts".
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Jonny2x4 wrote:
Eddie MountainGoat wrote:I would also like to add my thanks for the translation.

From my understanding, the arcade and NES version of Double Dragon 3 were developed almost simultaneously. Yoshihisa Kishimoto, who directed the first Double Dragon, claims he directed both versions of DD3, even though his name doesn't appear in the end credits of the arcade version. The subtitle of "The Rosetta Stone" was actually his idea, which he took from a British pop band from the 70's (unaware at the time of what the Rosetta Stone actually was).

http://wind.ap.teacup.com/kishi/

Only in the arcade version. The manga-like manual that came with the Famicom version of Double Dragon III had Marian giving a tutorial on how to play the game. And the Famicom version of Double Dragon II always give you the "good" ending no matter what difficulty setting you beat the game on (unlike the NES version, which forces you to beat the game on "Supreme Master" to see the ending). So she's still alive in the Famicom/NES continuity. Not that it matters, since the later games hardly follow the continuity of previous games.

It's hard for me to believe Kishimoto had anything to do with DD3. DD3 the arcade literally bears absolutely no resemblance or anything gameplay/feel/etc to the first two. To me it's what "Strider Returns" is to Strider and Capcom fans. However...if I have to include it in continuity, I'd agree with dojomaster that the NES version is the only real one(and at that, the Famicom one)

so to me the continuity would be:

double dragon arcade --> double dragon 2 arcade --> double dragon 3 famicom --> super double dragon snes --> neo geo double dragon

(the fact they put a "V" in the cartoon based vs fighter dd makes me shudder)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting