Double Dragon Forever

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

billylee107
White Belt

Double Dragon Forever

Post by billylee107 »

Hey folks. I couldn't help but notice that there was no mention here of Double Dragon Forever. It's a GREAT game that has a lot of really cool moves that you can do. Double Dragon Forever is a masterful fan game by a fellow named Cleber Casali. He's got a video on YouTube pertaining to the game that you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS5l6qyGi1M

He gives the download link for the game as being:

http://cmcgames.blogspot.com/

I didn't want any of my fellow Double Dragon fans to miss out on this great game, so I'm passing the info along. Bye for now. ;)
Steve Halfpenny

Re: Double Dragon Forever

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Had you been here a few years ago, you'd have seen plenty of posts mentioning this game. It was in fact developed right here by regular posters, Cleber Casali and Dean Swain amongst others.. Unfortuntely, Cleber appears to have given up on it. I think some were pig sick of it not being finished too (or even getting a real first version release) so really, it's no surprise that there isn't any mention of it!
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Yeah it's a game that I would love to see properly finished. I think that we could see that Cleber was becoming bored with the coding when he started adding way too many enemies instead of programming the level traps and other features that the rest of the team come up with. A real shame because Cleber really did pin point Double Dragon fighting physics so well.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Cleber here,

Just wanted to say DOUBLE DRAGON FOREVER IS ALIVE.

I know that many DD fans are very disappointed with the fact that DDF version 0.9, wich can be found out there in the internet is just an alpha quality unfinished product.

Yes, I have slowed down DDF development, but not because it was boring to code it. In fact I love coding games, and I have been working on a few other projects (DarkPhear port for example).

There are a few things that made me slow down DDF development, real life(1), switched to Linux(2)... and honestly, the one thing that really froze DDF development is the lack of community support(3). Please READ before throwing the tomatoes.

(1)Got married, graduated, my wife is 9 months pregnant, working a lot, tired, need money...

(2)Sadly, DDF0.9 didn't work well with Ubuntu Linux + wine at first. Every time I wanted to work on DDF, I had to reboot my computer to window$. It was really annoying.
But wine have evolved a lot lately. And recently I have changed many of the DDF engine internals to make it more wine friendly. The result is that, opposed to DDF0.9, the current DDF development version is working perfectly in Linux now. I don't have to reboot my computer every time I want to work with it. This obstacle is history now.

(3)Please, don't get me wrong. I don't want to sound ungrateful here. I wanted DDF to become a community project. But I simply didn't see it happening. Of course I have a few friends wich helped a lot, two of them got to be mentioned here; Dean Swain and John Hill. DDF would never happen without their vision, dedication and talent.
But really, I though I could count more on the community. I wanted to see more people creating complete sprites, palette swaps, music, fix the sprites and the levels, hack the game... Of course, some people really helped DDF. But many people promised stuff, sent me samples, but I have never seen the final product. Also, I have received some sprites that were almost complete, but not in the format the DDF engine uses. Again, please don't get me wrong, I really really appreciated the contributions. But then I had to take this images, convert, align, reorder, test, fix, text, fix, test, fix... it is pretty boring, and it takes much of the time I could dedicate to actually get the damn code fixed.

I have offered to open the code and the specifications of the DDF engine. It is very very flexible, and free. All files in the DDF distribution are known file formats (PNG, WAV, plain text...). I mean the broken levels in DDF could be fixed by simply editing plain text files. The DDF engine could be easily used to create another DD or DD-like game, just by replacing the media and editing the data files.
I have to confess I am surprised and upset that years after the release of DDF0.9, I haven't seen anyone step up and even try to work on it.

Well, after all this drama, I wanted to say that I'm still developing DDF. I want to get it finished. As said before, I couldn't implement all features I wanted, but still I think it's already a good game, and once finished it's going to be a great game.

The current development version has many many many bug fixes, one new move (maybe two), nice sprite retouch contributions from Mike Tate, more Abobo variations, Burnov, more palette swaps, improved sounds, optimizations, Linux/wine compatibility improvements, and still I want to do more. I am commited to fix one item from my "to do" list every time I open the code, and the list is getting pretty small now.

Finally, I have a proposal for you DD fans. An updated DDF build will be made available for download as soon as I receive at least 3 USEFUL and READY TO USE contributions from the community. (new sprites, good palette swaps, cut-scenes, door sprites, weapon sprites ...)

Regards,

Cleber M. Casali
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Great news Cleber! I'll try to help once again but I'm moving house in a couple of weeks time into temporary accommodation as the new house I'm buying isnt ready yet. So I've not got much time on my hands. I can certainly help out with the easier stuff such as doors though.

I've been working on a DD project of my own:

JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Really nice sprite, much better than the old 8-bit ports! :)
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

I have been working hard on DDF in the last few days. Check some new features:

Now you can play with a CPU partner. Losely based on Tails from Sonic 2 & 3 heheheh.

Abobos can finally break through walls. :shock:

You can change characters on continue.

Now I'm adding a few traps... ;)
jesus
White Belt

Post by jesus »

It looks like it's getting pretty good!:D
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Ouch, Williams just hit me with his bike.

Also the sprite of the last boss is fixed. It took me the whole day.
Riki Kunio
Yellow Belt

Post by Riki Kunio »

The updates are looking really good. I like the CPU partner idea. :D