Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Die_In_Fire
Red Belt
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Hi guys!!!

I watched some reviews and some playthrough videos. Would have loved if this was released on 3ds to buy it. I don't have PS4 and too lazy to config the laptop to Steam (also I dont have credit card so unable to buy it).

I agree and specially I UNDERSTAND your comments guys, but here's my two cents:
- I havent play it so my opinion is merely from a spectator point of view. That being said, I like the overall art. I like the new enemies with the exception of the karate guys: DD have a lot of deep roster to develop, so I cant understand why those pesky "normal standard" karate guys.

- Didn't like the sound of the hits, how the knife hits, and how lazy they were in some aspects: using roper, linda, williams exaclty as they appeared in DD1 and DD2. They also were very lazy on adding the EXACT SAME DD1 title song, instead of a updated retro remix. Even the version that appeared on river city ransom sounds better.

- Weapons looks useless.

- Too few enemies. WHy not adding more variations to the right hand guy for example?

Overall I like the graphics. I'm mad about retro art so it's a gift for my eyes, and I want to use those backgrounds myself, but I can't avoid to think this looks too much like a fangame. Even in my fangame I have the twins with running animation. that whould have been a good update here. The twins run in DD3, why not here?

I really would love an updated version with the graphics of SDD and/or GBA. I think for lazyness they went with the 8-bit instead of the 16 bit style. And that just can't be.

Give Ebinuma the production of a new DD game please!!

PD: I'm the only one who think that Jake is based on "Animal" from Dragonninja?? he's the boss on the stage 4 of that game. you can see him in this picture:

http://nerdemia.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ddudes.jpg
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:51 am

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Die_In_Fire »

btw, a friend posted this in another forum:

For the price of one large cheeseburger, my friends and I:

1 - Had hours of fun kicking the crap out of everything that moves.
2 - Unlocked a new game mode and more playable characters for each.
3 - Beat the snot out each other in VS mode and loved it.

...For the price of a cheeseburger. I regret nothing.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
User avatar
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Die_In_Fire wrote:PD: I'm the only one who think that Jake is based on "Animal" from Dragonninja??

He certainly resembles Animal, with similar armor and mohawk.

But I think it's more likely that the reference is to what originally inspired Animal: The Road Warrior-look, from Mad Max and from one of Double Dragon's original inspirations, Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star.

Check out this image from Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. You can also see an image of the Hokuto No Ken warriors, here at Fighting Street's list of ripoffs (just scroll down almost to the end, to the Legion of Doom entry, under Sheep the Royal).
User avatar
Play2win
Black Belt
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Play2win »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:Is there an end to the tower mode? I thought it just went on and on. How many levels are there?


No, the floors are never ending. But, you unlock all characters after Floor 40 and get all trophies (PS4) after Floor 100. I recently got the 100 Floor achievement and a few of the hidden trophies for completing the game with enemy characters... It's mildly amusing easilly beating everyone to a pulp as the Mysterious Warrior but it's really not much more fun than your typical rom hack.

RenegadeDragon wrote: After im done completing it im going to cleanse myself by playing DDA or ios version.


Felt the same way- I felt much better after a DDA session. As far as home ports go, that is Double Dragon perfection. Does the IOS version still work on your iPhone? I hear it may not work with the latest IOS.
May you live hapilly forever...
mechapop
Red Belt
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by mechapop »

Die_In_Fire wrote:Hi guys!!!

I watched some reviews and some playthrough videos. Would have loved if this was released on 3ds to buy it. I don't have PS4 and too lazy to config the laptop to Steam (also I dont have credit card so unable to buy it).

I agree and specially I UNDERSTAND your comments guys, but here's my two cents:
- I havent play it so my opinion is merely from a spectator point of view. That being said, I like the overall art. I like the new enemies with the exception of the karate guys: DD have a lot of deep roster to develop, so I cant understand why those pesky "normal standard" karate guys.

- Didn't like the sound of the hits, how the knife hits, and how lazy they were in some aspects: using roper, linda, williams exaclty as they appeared in DD1 and DD2. They also were very lazy on adding the EXACT SAME DD1 title song, instead of a updated retro remix. Even the version that appeared on river city ransom sounds better.

- Weapons looks useless.

- Too few enemies. WHy not adding more variations to the right hand guy for example?

Overall I like the graphics. I'm mad about retro art so it's a gift for my eyes, and I want to use those backgrounds myself, but I can't avoid to think this looks too much like a fangame. Even in my fangame I have the twins with running animation. that whould have been a good update here. The twins run in DD3, why not here?

I really would love an updated version with the graphics of SDD and/or GBA. I think for lazyness they went with the 8-bit instead of the 16 bit style. And that just can't be.

Give Ebinuma the production of a new DD game please!!

PD: I'm the only one who think that Jake is based on "Animal" from Dragonninja?? he's the boss on the stage 4 of that game. you can see him in this picture:

http://nerdemia.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... ddudes.jpg


Always wish Data East's Bad Dudes AKA Dragon Ninja had gotten a sequel(not counting that horrible "Crude Buster/Two Crude Dudes" game)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
User avatar
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by RenegadeDragon »

yes the ios version still works but im using a ipad2 and i dont think it can actually update to the new ios update so i got kinda lucky. so as long as the ipad 2 doesnt die i should be able to keep playing it. hopefully i can buy another and just install the app from my icloud. Also that definetly looks like animal from bad dudes. first thing i said to myself when i seen the enemy in the game. I also agree that DD2 for pc engine, sprites looked pretty bad. I like DD4 its not bad but it was'nt what i wanted really. I also agree that they should've had a running option. i have also would've liked to see them use the sprites for vs mode in double dragon one for billy and jimmy that would've been nice. The game is pretty tough I make it to the 24th floor and get crushed, The AI is just brutal they crowd you and spam specials. I also havent gotten the share play option to work something about my connection is not strong enough which is bullcrap but whatever. I dont mind seeing ebinuma joining the team as well and putting together a complete SDD.
User avatar
Chin Seimei
White Belt
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Chin Seimei »

I don't own a PS4, so I've yet to play it, it looks cool for a 7$ game based off the videos.

RenegadeDragon wrote:For what it's worth its a good game. After im done completing it im going to cleanse myself by playing DDA or ios version. :lol: Its not that bad of a game but i would much rather play that zeebo version of double dragon 1 then double dragon IV but they are both mediocre to the ones i just mentioned. Starting to think of it its really based off the nes series of the game so if i was just to judge by those standards alone i would say it's a great job but with some flaws like not being able to run, some stages not having any kind of depth to them or just being very dull looking. Boss's looking like regular goons. The knife just bounces off the opponents head... :lol:I could keep going but it is what it is, you cant expect too much from a 7 dollar game i guess.


Speaking of the Zeebo game, anyone have screenshots of the ending images?
User avatar
Billy Lee
Black Belt
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Billy Lee »

Well I got a chance to play and while I feel it is an okay game, it is definitely not the best of the series. I just felt so much more could have been done. It feels more like a fan game to me than an actually sequel. It seems like I was dodging spamming enemy specials more than anything. Overall it was some good beat em up fun, but I rather they give a sequel to SDD than anything else with an updated version of their game play and system. I just feel if you are going to come up with DDIV, you have to at least make it better than SDD, DDA, and DD IOS. Like I said, it was good but I really wanted this to be better.
User avatar
Chin Seimei
White Belt
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Chin Seimei »

Billy Lee wrote:Well I got a chance to play and while I feel it is an okay game, it is definitely not the best of the series. I just felt so much more could have been done. It feels more like a fan game to me than an actually sequel. It seems like I was dodging spamming enemy specials more than anything. Overall it was some good beat em up fun, but I rather they give a sequel to SDD than anything else with an updated version of their game play and system. I just feel if you are going to come up with DDIV, you have to at least make it better than SDD, DDA, and DD IOS. Like I said, it was good but I really wanted this to be better.


Fans could always use the new NES sprites from 4 for hacks.
User avatar
Elbow2abobo
White Belt
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Double Dragon IV (from Arc System Works)

Post by Elbow2abobo »

Overall, I enjoyed the game, but I'm quite the fan so there is a little bias.

Pros:
The moves are easier to pull off.
I'm partial to these 8-bit graphics.
The return of past enemies
Decent length for a beat em up
Reasonable price
Stage select
Tower mode is not the greatest, but adds to the replay value.
Co-Op

Cons:
No online Co-Op. (Although people have used share play using the PS4.)
Lots of dead space between enemies in the first levels
Jumping on gears is too stiff resulting in cheap deaths
The larger karate guys can hit you when you aren't near them if they glow
No new earnable moves like the original Nes version
And the biggest disappointment is the first 3 Nes games aren't bundled. They should have the rights to use them.

It seems the reviews are split according to the Internet. As a fan though, it's hard not to enjoy this. Even after beating it, I will continue to play this.
http://pixelpopulation.weebly.com/sugar ... n-the-blog

A new beat em up with a dramatic close to the heart story.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest