Double Dragon Neon

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Rockman
Green Belt

Release Date!

Post by Rockman »

Well, whether you're looking forward to it or hope that it just goes away... the release date has finally been announced!

September 11th for PSN

September 12th for XBLA

and it's only $10! Like I said before, I am a bit interested, if only to see what they do with the combat system. At $10 bucks I won't feel too bad if it totally sucks lol.

Here's the announcement straight from the games twitter:

https://twitter.com/DoubleDragonNeo/sta ... 8294941696
Jonny2x4

Re: Double Dragon Neon

Post by Jonny2x4 »

The game is supposed to be out on the PSN today and two reviews have been posted (one positive and one lukewarm), but they're not really informative.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/10/doubl ... on-review/
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/1 ... eon-review
Freeter
White Belt

Post by Freeter »

I downloaded the demo today. Game is utter garbage and a total disgrace to the DD name.

The melee got gimped HARD. I play DD Advance on the regular so I noticed a ton of stuff right off the bat:

- no back attacks (not even the elbow smash)
- can't autograb from combos anymore (or even do kneeslams, wtf)
- kicks no longer stun on impact
- jump kicks don't knock down
- running is assigned to a button and is an autodash instead of manual (plus it's stupid slow)
- hyper knee only effective on stunned opponents, do it normally and it barely fazes them
- enemies have 'armor' frames during weapon attacks, can't interrupt them even if you attack first (unless you do the 'heavy' jump kick or catch them in a kick combo)
- cyclone kick is attached to the end of a kick combo, can't do it manually anymore

The voiceovers sound horrible also. I wish there was an option to turn them off, but sadly there isn't. At least the music is awesome and is very faithful to the original tunes.

Honestly, stick to either Advance or the iOS game if you need your DD fix. Wayforward dropped the ball on this one.
Maikel
White Belt

Post by Maikel »

Voice over terrible? I was laughing my ass of while being taunted by "skeletor" :lol:
MightyZol
White Belt

Post by MightyZol »

I'm a little bit confused here - is this game going to get released on PSN in europe?
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Dunno about Playstation network in Europe, it wasn't there when I checked earlier so I've gone for the 360 version.

Ok, first things first. It's a pretty playable beat em up but it's certainly not a Double Dragon game. The combat doesn't resemble a Double Dragon game in anyway.

For those older European gamers here, it's certainly got a Renegade 3 vibe about it (this is not a good thing) but at least it's actually a fairly fun game unlike Renegade 3.

It's a game that doesn't take itself seriously at all and after Mission 2, it's not even set on Earth. It's Double Dragon in name only.

If you are looking for something a bit more like the original game, please check out the Target; Renegade remake thread in the fan remakes section of the forum.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I don't have a PS3 at the moment (used to, not anymore), but all the feedback seems pretty positive thus far, which is good to hear. It's best to view this game as a Parodius-style spinoff than a legitimate sequel/reboot anyway. I was pretty cautious about it and for good reasons. I'm just hoping they do something a bit more serious in tone next time though.
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Jonny2x4 wrote:I don't have a PS3 at the moment (used to, not anymore), but all the feedback seems pretty positive thus far, which is good to hear. It's best to view this game as a Parodius-style spinoff than a legitimate sequel/reboot anyway. I was pretty cautious about it and for good reasons. I'm just hoping they do something a bit more serious in tone next time though.

That's what had me worried when I saw the original footage with the high-fives and whatnot. It looks like they're making a joke of it and not treating the content seriously. That's sad because they did a wonderful job with Contra 4 and didn't treat that like a joke at all. I can't access this game though because I don't own either system.
Maikel
White Belt

Post by Maikel »

Well, don't be to pre-judged. I like the game, though I do find the game a bit irritating, and yes, the fact that you can't grab a guy in front of you and kick the guy behind you is a miss.. You need to come up with a strategy.

Other then that it's to me a true double dragon, I have all the originals, and this is at least just as good as the SNES version. Music is one of the great things in it. Very nostalgic oldskool glam-ish metal. You can get "mixtapes" that boost your gameplay, and extra lives/ :idea: powerups in for ingame "money" you get from the guys you beat up that you exchange in a store. The biggest challenge I'm facing is "skullmageddon"(I prefer to call this guy skeletor, he looks like skeletor, walks like skeletor, and definetely TALKS like skeletor), I have a problem finding his weakspot, I can bring him to critical using the baseball bat until it breaks, but when he get's out of his corner it's hard to get a punch on him without him turning you into shish-kebab. Abobo is easy to beat using combo's when once you get a clear shot in.

One thingI'm missing is the online-co-op. It's not done and will be patched in later. Too bad, since my old buddy who I used to play these games with lives on the other side of the state.
Freeter
White Belt

Post by Freeter »

DojoMaster wrote: It looks like they're making a joke of it and not treating the content seriously. That's sad because they did a wonderful job with Contra 4 and didn't treat that like a joke at all.

Exactly. Why they had to camp everything up for this game is beyond me. Even the end song is done karaoke style with equally absurd lyrics.

I have all the originals, and this is at least just as good as the SNES version

No way. SDD owns this game for free. Better controls, harder hits, and of course, the backhand/kick counter grab. The only drawbacks were the charge gauge and lack of run, but everything else was top-notch.