Observation about DD on XBox Live

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Steve Halfpenny

Observation about DD on XBox Live

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

I know it has been mentioned before, but DD is definitely gone from XBox Live. I just had a quick look through the list of downloads and at first thought it may have something to do with the current status of those who released it but I notice that TMNT (arcade) is no longer available either (this was one of the first XBox Live arcade downloads). What's interesting though is that Namco classics such as Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are still there as are Atari games such as Gauntlet and Paperboy.

If deletion is determined with with how popular a download is, I find it incredible that more people may have downloaded and enjoyed Paperboy more than Double Dragon and TMNT. I guess there's no accounting for taste.
oxe161
Yellow Belt

Re: Observation about DD on XBox Live

Post by oxe161 »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:I know it has been mentioned before, but DD is definitely gone from XBox Live. I just had a quick look through the list of downloads and at first thought it may have something to do with the current status of those who released it but I notice that TMNT (arcade) is no longer available either (this was one of the first XBox Live arcade downloads). What's interesting though is that Namco classics such as Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are still there as are Atari games such as Gauntlet and Paperboy.

If deletion is determined with with how popular a download is, I find it incredible that more people may have downloaded and enjoyed Paperboy more than Double Dragon and TMNT. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

well maybe licensing rights have something to do with it.
So TMNT is now owned by nickelodeon. So maybe that's why it was taken down
"If the illusion spreads, the evil will live again. but if two dragons soar through the sky, an angel will fall to the Earth
Steve Halfpenny

No because Turtles in Time is still on there.
Steve Halfpenny

I guess the latest Retro Gamer revealed all in a round about way.

Empire Interactive went bankrupt last year (as some of you know) and so, all of their games, including Speedball 2 amongst others, were removed from XBox Live last summer.

I hold on to a trail version of DD but never did buy the full version. I know Swainy had it so if you do you may wanna keep hold of this little piece of DD history! (Though it really isn't much to shout about to be honest).
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

It has nothing to do with popularity at all. Empire Interactive, the publisher of the Xbox Live Arcade version, went out of business around this time last year.

As for TMNT: The Arcade Game, it still appears on the official site as "TMNT 1989 Arcade". Maybe you're searching using the wrong the title.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games ... 258410870/
Steve Halfpenny

I looked it up under T. It's not there (at least, not on the UK version). The remixed TMNT 2 is.
oxe161
Yellow Belt

Post by oxe161 »

well that might be your problem. And i think the store ranges from region to region. I mean remember in europe it had to be called "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" because the word ninja was illegal
"If the illusion spreads, the evil will live again. but if two dragons soar through the sky, an angel will fall to the Earth
Steve Halfpenny

oxe161 wrote:well that might be your problem. And i think the store ranges from region to region. I mean remember in europe it had to be called "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" because the word ninja was illegal

The region bit is possible but a bit odd. The thing about "Hero Turtles" is a bit untrue.

It was felt, at the time, that the lifestyle of a "ninja" (whatever that means) and their violent nature was too strong for children so the original cartoon series became "hero...". I myself recall buying nunchuks from a market stall but in the high street shops, this will have been impossible. Any scene with Michaelangelo using his weapon was edited from the show as were other scenes containing violence. In fact, the only reason why I knew their original name was because of a comic shop I once popped in to and a newspaper revealed what the BBC had done (this lead to me correcting class mates who used the "hero" name. Yep, I was a big TMNT fan!).

For the record, the original movie was still "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". However, I heard it was heavily censored to make it a PG rating (I never seen the film in the cinema as I'd managed to bag a pirated copy MONTHS before UK release. Shoddy picture, dodgy sound... It was like how I first saw Back to the Future too. Ahhhh, those were the days...).

When the 2003 series started, censorship laws in the UK were more relaxed (thank you) so TMNT '03 aired unedited without any name changes.

As for the rerelease of the old arcade game, I actually have that on my XBox so I'll take a look later. I honestly can't remember if it's the UK one or not but something tells me that "ninja" replaces "hero" for once.
oxe161
Yellow Belt

Post by oxe161 »

then i was lied to!
And regarding the ninja being too violent
i think it was stupid how they turned Mike's Nunchucks into a grappling hook, because it was too violent. I mean swords and sai aren't violent but nunchucks are? I mean give a pissed off kid a nunchuck, they'll most likely won't be able to do anything...except hurt themselves
Steve Halfpenny

oxe161 wrote:i think it was stupid how they turned Mike's Nunchucks into a grappling hook, because it was too violent. I mean swords and sai aren't violent but nunchucks are? I mean give a pissed off kid a nunchuck, they'll most likely won't be able to do anything...except hurt themselves

This is true. I don't know how the censorship people think at all. Some things are more accepted today (sex and violence, although how much seems to vary year to year) and then you have political correctness stopping other things from yesterday completely (racist jokes, general signs of the times, etc). Yet if you're ironic, I suppose everything is cool.