Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

You talking DD3 NES or Arcade? Good to see a fan of DD3, I usually just see hate on that particular entry. I played through DD3 arcade for the first time since the early 1990's,
and I really just can't get into it. Though I will say the first look does have a cool look to it, as much as its just a generic late 80's side scroller street level.
I just can't get over the feel that the game feels like it was made by Konami. It totally has this jerky Crime Fighters/Vendetta feel to it, even a bit of Combatribes. Again I'd be curious why Technos Japan didnt make it and not use the standard DD1/DD2 look. I'm mixed on DD3...it's hard for me to enjoy the arcade game, and while the NES version feels more like the "real" version, even for a seasoned gamer like myself I still find it too tough to enjoy thoroughly. But Im odd, I love DD Neo Geo(tho I pretend Battletoads/DD, "DDV" and the Kunnio Kun pixel swap gb DD2 doesnt exist)

Yeah Im surprised Roper and other faves weren't in DDi. Though they clearly expanded the roster. Really wish Marian could be a playable unlockable character, especially in that outfit you see at the end. She was suppose to be in DDA. You know what would be seriously awesome? If Brizo makes a DDi sequel, and its based partly on BOTH the arcade and NES DD2. I cant say enough good things about the layout and color palette of DD2 NES as much as I like the arcade game.

Also, yeah I thought the two bikers would join in and not merely be in the background.

Overall I'm a sucker for late 80's and early 90's side scrolling beat em ups, though there is something to be said about non Final Fight clones and pre Final Fight games(like DD1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden arcade,
Bad Dudes, etc)

Sadly I've still yet to place this, as my ipod touch cant upgrade to ios4, but Im hoping to play it on my friend's ipad2 soon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

mechapop wrote:You talking DD3 NES or Arcade?

Well, I was mostly talking about the arcade game. In particular, Kent, with his blue jeans, white T-shirt, and sunglasses, resembles the thin thugs in arcade DD3 mission 1, with their blue jeans, white T-shirts, and sunglasses. I also referred to Li (whom Harry should have been), who only appears in the arcade.

However, I also mentioned Gibson (Greg or Ted) and Daby (Cindy), who are NES DD III exclusives.

mechapop wrote:Good to see a fan of DD3, I usually just see hate on that particular entry.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am a major DD3 hater. There’s nothing about this game that redeems it. The stupid plot, the cheap bosses, the ugly sprites, the choppy animation, the rubbish gameplay … even without the quarter-crunching shop system, DD3 is not worth playing.

Having said that, I think that the backgrounds are the most beautifully done, of all three arcade BEUs.

mechapop wrote:Im odd, I love DD Neo Geo(tho I pretend Battletoads/DD, "DDV" and the Kunnio Kun pixel swap gb DD2 doesnt exist)

You don’t need to pretend, at least about those last two.

- DDV exists in the cartoon reality, which is separate from the reality of the BEUs. It’s not about post-apocalyptic Kung Fu, but about magic swords.

- Gb DD II was actually the first game I bought for the Gameboy, and I still love it. But it too, is separate from the BEU timeline. It doesn’t follow the DD II plot about avenging Marian’s death, instead going along a new tangent, about Billy being framed for murder (not Marian’s). This was a silly move, in my opinion. Even if Acclaim were going to pixel-swap a Kunio Kun game, they should have at least kept the original storyline.

Interestingly, Marian’s murder by the Shadow Warriors is mentioned, in the backstory. Perhaps the writers were using Gb DD II, as a means to tell an alternate post-Marian’s death story, to DD3. If so, I think they did a good job. The urban setting, the thugs, the Scorpion Dojo and the villain Anderson all feel a lot more Double Dragon-y, than the globe trotting, the gladiators and trees, the mystical pyramid, and Queen Cleopatra.

(Side-note: Anderson is the name of one of the five emperors, in DDA [the blue one]. I’m not sure if he’s supposed to be the same character, but I like to think that he is.)

Or, perhaps they were trying to fill in the two-year gap, between DD II and III. Billy and Jimmy’s journey to “complete their martial arts” could have been to the Scorpion Dojo. Not a bad idea.

At any rate, Gb DD3 messed this all up. Its backstory sets it two years after Billy and Jimmy were framed for murder, and proved their innocence.

- As for BT/DD, most DD fans I know recognise it as a Battletoads game, rather than one that actually crosses into DD continuity.

mechapop wrote:You know what would be seriously awesome? If Brizo makes a DDi sequel, and its based partly on BOTH the arcade and NES DD2. I cant say enough good things about the layout and color palette of DD2 NES as much as I like the arcade game.

You know, I’ve been hoping for that exact thing, ever since Double Dragon Advance. I really wanted a DDA II, to be pretty much what you just described. And then, a DD Zeebo II. And now, a DDi II.

In the meantime, the PC Engine DD II is pretty damn close, and I’ve talked about DDX, before.

But more than a new DD II, I’ve really wanted a new DD III. One that keeps it all about the Neo-Shadows, and ditches the gumf. I know it’s a big ask, because you need the first Double Dragon to be popular enough for a sequel (which, it seems, they haven’t been), which then also needs enough popularity, for a further sequel.

But, if the ending of DDi is anything to go by, that might be exactly what any DDi II will be aiming for: Jim and the bikers, leading the Neo-Shadows against the Double Dragons. No magic rocks. No stone golems. Just the stuff that made us love Double Dragon, in the first place.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:
mechapop wrote:You talking DD3 NES or Arcade?

Well, I was mostly talking about the arcade game. In particular, Kent, with his blue jeans, white T-shirt, and sunglasses, resembles the thin thugs in arcade DD3 mission 1, with their blue jeans, white T-shirts, and sunglasses. I also referred to Li (whom Harry should have been), who only appears in the arcade.

However, I also mentioned Gibson (Greg or Ted) and Daby (Cindy), who are NES DD III exclusives.

mechapop wrote:Good to see a fan of DD3, I usually just see hate on that particular entry.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am a major DD3 hater. There’s nothing about this game that redeems it. The stupid plot, the cheap bosses, the ugly sprites, the choppy animation, the rubbish gameplay … even without the quarter-crunching shop system, DD3 is not worth playing.

Having said that, I think that the backgrounds are the most beautifully done, of all three arcade BEUs.

mechapop wrote:Im odd, I love DD Neo Geo(tho I pretend Battletoads/DD, "DDV" and the Kunnio Kun pixel swap gb DD2 doesnt exist)

You don’t need to pretend, at least about those last two.

- DDV exists in the cartoon reality, which is separate from the reality of the BEUs. It’s not about post-apocalyptic Kung Fu, but about magic swords.

- Gb DD II was actually the first game I bought for the Gameboy, and I still love it. But it too, is separate from the BEU timeline. It doesn’t follow the DD II plot about avenging Marian’s death, instead going along a new tangent, about Billy being framed for murder (not Marian’s). This was a silly move, in my opinion. Even if Acclaim were going to pixel-swap a Kunio Kun game, they should have at least kept the original storyline.

Interestingly, Marian’s murder by the Shadow Warriors is mentioned, in the backstory. Perhaps the writers were using Gb DD II, as a means to tell an alternate post-Marian’s death story, to DD3. If so, I think they did a good job. The urban setting, the thugs, the Scorpion Dojo and the villain Anderson all feel a lot more Double Dragon-y, than the globe trotting, the gladiators and trees, the mystical pyramid, and Queen Cleopatra.

(Side-note: Anderson is the name of one of the five emperors, in DDA [the blue one]. I’m not sure if he’s supposed to be the same character, but I like to think that he is.)

Or, perhaps they were trying to fill in the two-year gap, between DD II and III. Billy and Jimmy’s journey to “complete their martial arts” could have been to the Scorpion Dojo. Not a bad idea.

At any rate, Gb DD3 messed this all up. Its backstory sets it two years after Billy and Jimmy were framed for murder, and proved their innocence.

- As for BT/DD, most DD fans I know recognise it as a Battletoads game, rather than one that actually crosses into DD continuity.

mechapop wrote:You know what would be seriously awesome? If Brizo makes a DDi sequel, and its based partly on BOTH the arcade and NES DD2. I cant say enough good things about the layout and color palette of DD2 NES as much as I like the arcade game.

You know, I’ve been hoping for that exact thing, ever since Double Dragon Advance. I really wanted a DDA II, to be pretty much what you just described. And then, a DD Zeebo II. And now, a DDi II.

In the meantime, the PC Engine DD II is pretty damn close, and I’ve talked about DDX, before.

But more than a new DD II, I’ve really wanted a new DD III. One that keeps it all about the Neo-Shadows, and ditches the gumf. I know it’s a big ask, because you need the first Double Dragon to be popular enough for a sequel (which, it seems, they haven’t been), which then also needs enough popularity, for a further sequel.

But, if the ending of DDi is anything to go by, that might be exactly what any DDi II will be aiming for: Jim and the bikers, leading the Neo-Shadows against the Double Dragons. No magic rocks. No stone golems. Just the stuff that made us love Double Dragon, in the first place.

I agree about the DD3 backgrounds, for me in particular the first level. But dear goodness that game is just a mess. I would say the only DD game I've played that felt even more painful was DD for the Game Gear. Now DD for the Game Gear is such a bizarre thing. Some of the levels are kind of cool(like the Virgin Records store) But where does it fit? It's probably the most anomalous of all the DD games.
It was released in 1993, 6 years after the original...is it suppose to fall in the Super Double Dragon timeframe? And whats up with the alien in the mansion end level/boss? The game is almost impossible to play with its stodgy controls. DD3 as well just felt miserable to play, something is so off about it.

I'm with you on some of what DD3 had going. That whole Jim the biker and his gang seem like a narrative that feels right at home in the DD series. It's be great if a DDi sequel kind of goes into that, as hinted with the ending of DDi. (I'm guessing he takes over being the bad guy)

I'd love to check out DD for the PCE/TD sometime, the youtube walkthroughs look really cool. I actually had no idea of this game until I saw the feature of it on this site, kind of reminds me of the Super Double Dragon graphics. Having recently also played the DD2 arcade game, it's just staggering how the game is nearly identical in layout to the original. I agree with the bizarre stuff in DD3 being uncharacteristic, though from what I remember the DD2 NES game was fairly odd. I remember some giant creature in the background of the last level, not sure where that fit in with the storyline.
But there is something wildly epic about DD2 NES that is lacking in the arcade game. I think that whole helicopter fight, as well as the giant landmover you fight on are some of the elements that made it feel much more cinematic than the DD1 facelift that was the arcade sequel.

One more thought...I'm surprised there never was a more 90's looking DD sequel. By that I mean the popular 1992-1996 arcade brawler look, as seen in Silent Dragon, Undercover Cops, Final Fight,
Knuckle Bash, Violent Storm, etc. We do see this in DD Neo Geo, though sadly they never made a side scrolling game in this style. I think one of the reasons I like the Neo Geo DD is because
it seems more or less to use the movie as a cover, and instead delves into its own thing. The fact Burnov and Duke are in it makes me think the makers cared little for the actual movie. Plus given it was Technos Japan, I consider it somewhat offical. I like how Burnov has consistantly been one of the main characters, though it's strange Andore hasnt seen any games outside DD2, and Duke has only been in SDD and DDNG. Also it's about time Marian was a playable character in a side scroller DD game! Hopefully Brizo will forgo the death plot if they do a sequel.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

So, the mystery of "who is that silver haired guy?" has officially been answered by Brizo.

In this interview with the project director, Ryosuke Jinno, he reveals that the Biker at the end of the credits is in fact Willys son!

The excerpt reads:

"20. (Spoiler Question) At the end of the game Billy and Jimmy Lee drive off into the sunset with Marian.. Right at the end before the screen fades, there is someone looking at them on the side of the road … WHO is this mystery man??

Brizo: The son of a character from the game. His hair color might give you a hint, but I’ll leave the rest up to your imagination. Perhaps it’s hinting at a sequel?!"

I mean I could be wrong but who else is rocking silver hair besides willy? I mean he could be lavis' son... but I doubt it, what with the statues up in willys hideout and all.

To read the whole interview go here:

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011 ... interview/

Some interesting things to note, such as the fact that they realize that the controls on the iPhone are not suited to play as precisely as you could with a joystick/d-pad.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Thanks for the heads up! My love of these guys has gone up even more.

There are still a lot of people in the US who haven’t updated to iOS 4.0. We assumed that most of users would have updated their iOS versions, so now, we’re planning to release updates for those who use older versions of iOS.

Sweeet. As soon as that update for non ioS4 users comes out, Im definitely snagging it.

Rockman; it's hard to estimate but a month plus later from release...what is your general sense of the reaction of it online? I've seen a few interviews, but has it been trending at all or even made a blip in the collective gamer consciousness? Just wondering if any mainstream site(like 1up or IGN) has been hyping it or if word has been positive/spreading. I just want to see a modest buy rate to justify a sequel, or at the very least a level pack upgrade(which seems to be popular with these games...the 1942 sequel did that)

The company seems extremely receptive to fan input, which is a very good sign. Maybe Dojomaster or you could do a kind of informal poll from DD fans to brainstorm and come up with a list
of things we want to see in a sequel or update/expansion pack? I know for sure I'd LOVE to see Abore and Duke represented in a sequel if possible, as well as Marian being playable(I say take out the whole death thing) I'd also like to see more wild inspired characters, boss, miniboss or thugs. I kind of like how the Rushing Beat series literally took place all over, and I think a DDi2 should kind of loosely take from the NES DD2(going up downtown city highrises/riding on a big cargo craft/helicopter, the giant jungle machine level, etc) I kind of like some of the established side scrolling brawler cliches: high rises, fighting through a lab, boss rushes on the last level, moving trucks(I love that level from DDA)
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

So does anyone want to provide us with a review? Do you feel you can do a good job pointing out all the pros and cons of the game?
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Hey guys, I've put together a character page for the iPhone/iPod Touch/Zeebo versions of Double Dragon. You can take a look at it here:

http://doubledragon.kontek.net/games/dd ... phone.html

I just want to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. The Zeebo and iPhone games are the exact same, right? Can anyone confirm that for me? Also, Rockman, the screengrab you posted for Mark is incomplete. It's cutoff about 2/3 of the way down for some reason, so I can't grab an image of the character. I also don't have his full bio. Could you provide me with a full screengrab for his information?

I'm not sure what image to use for Marian. Does anyone have a suggestion? Also, unless someone can crop the character sprites better than what I did, I'll just post them as they are on the page right now.

With that said, I haven't made that character page available on the main site yet because we don't have any review yet. Can anyone provide us with a review of the iPhone and Zeebo versions? I think I've had some offers before, but nobody has really followed through with that. If you write a review, I will get it posted ASAP!

And hey, maybe we can get Steve to write those remaining Double Dragon III reviews for us!

[Edit: I found this image buried in this thread. How about I use this for Marian?]
Attachments
charmarianddiphone.jpg
charmarianddiphone.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 11269 times
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Hey DojoMaster, the Zeebo and IOS versions of Double Dragon, although very similar, are NOT the exact same game. There are a few playthroughs on Youtube of each respective game to see the numerous differences.

Among the many differences are graphics, levels, and enemies. The closest thing I can compare the differences to would be that of the original Double Dragon arcade to that of Double Dragon II arcade.

The core gameplay seems almost identical between the Zeebo and IOS, except of course for the infamous touchscreen control of the IOS game.

As for a review of the IOS game; I would love to, except that the game is simply not available for HTC Android phones. Lame :(
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

OK. I had my suspicions, but I wanted to make sure the characters weren't the same in the two versions. I'll need to edit the characters page so that it's only for the iPhone/iPod Touch version.
DinLee
Purple Belt

Post by DinLee »

regarding lavis
"Note: The in-game description for Lavis suggests that she is a man, but the artwork above clearly contradicts that. It's likely just a typo."
I'd have to disagree, the jacket covers up the chest so there's no telling if the character has breasts, and those hands look pretty manly lol. I guess lavis is ambiguous at best, falling under the 'poison rule' ;)