Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by mechapop »

*sigh* No chance for me to play this, as it turns out it's only for ios 4.1, which older ipod touches can't upgrade too. No idea why they did that, but I guess I'll live vicariously through your guy's videos and descriptions.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Just poured through the videos you uploaded! Was cool to see the addition of bonus stages as well as two new exclusive levels besides the classic stages. I think I like the way they kept the classic stage look more here than DDA. I definitely like the look of the new girl bosses, at least in drawn form. But what does Lavis do attack wise? She looks like she just walks around cumbersomely in an oversized coat. And Deena, hmm...

My biggest question is, who are all these new guys? They surely can't all be all different variants of Steve, Williams, and Roper? I saw a guy with painted eye makeup, a shirtless emo haired guy, several club dancer fighter girls, multiple agents, the chain gain black dudes and then versions with red eyes and hoodies, some guy with a whip and tight purple shirt in level one where Linda should have been.
I like how it displays the name of the boss when you're fighting them, but like Final Fight and Capcom brawlers I wish it had the names of each character.

I just noticed in the character selection screen, it shows the name of the character highlighted. I wonder if it was possible from there and the data section to find out a full list of all the character names?

Also I'm very curious what's in the data. Let us know if you can type out some of em!

As far as the mysterious guy, it definitely makes sense that that would be Willy's brother(though he looks much younger than him) The Billy/Willy Jimmy/Jim thing makes sense. Either he's a hidden character, or more likely they're setting up a sequel for this holiday season or next year depending on ddi sales(Im guessing either partially based on DD2 arcade with original levels, or a whole new game from scratch)
I think Marian should be an included selectable fighter in DDi2 if there is one. She looked great in the ending sprites/art. Finally, I'm sad they didn't include some of the characters from Zeebo, like the anime winged girl. She seemed like she'd be a way cooler character than Lavis.

I found a full list of all the DDA character names, though no idea how accurate it is:

billy lee
jimmy lee
marian
abobo
burnov
williams
roper
linda
steve
hang
wong
chen wang-yu
chen yuan-gui
kikuchiyo
mibobo
yang zeng-li
wu ren-zhi
andersen
david
raymond
willy
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Rockman wrote:LOL!!! Yoooo! After I posted this up my friend came by, we were watching the videos and made the same exact connection you did!! If that's jim though he looks totally different then his DD3 incarnation, but this game is all about re-designs so we'll see!

I'll look at all the secret character slots and match them with all the different characters in the game to see if theres an extra spot left over.. that should help us figure out a bit more.

I think you have to beat the game enough time to unlock all the dudes and then you'll fight him... Man I know I sound like a broken record but I sooo wish this had actual controls =( !

Also off topic and fan boyish, but you ever notice how Willy is short for the name William which the nickname for in itself is Bill?? And of course Jim can be short for James, but you could also call him Jimmy?

Soooo Willy = Billy and Jim = Jimmy!

I think it's cool how the Boss and his brother have different forms of the same names as Billy and Jimmy.. Just sayin lol.

Yeah, I remember thinking about the name thing with Willy/Jim and Billy/Jimmy a while back. I used to think that it was just an amusing coincidence with the old DD3, but with the new game, it's almost like Willy and Jim are made to be an evil counter point to Billy and Jimmy.

The direct arch enemy to the double dragons has been a common theme since "Return of Double Dragon" with it's iteration of the Chin brothers who claimed to be the true twin dragons. It kind of seems like this time they have put that evil "anti-Double Dragon" persona with Willy and Jim. I mean, check out the Black Warrior's fortress. The statues of Willy, and (who I presume to be) Jim are set next to red (next to Willy, who also happens to wear red in DD2) and blue (possibly Jim) dragons, and now Willy is a total kung fu baddass. It all adds up if you think about it. Their colors are opposite, and they are villains. They are like the yin to the Double Dragon's yang. Man this theory is starting to sound good (and dorky), lol.

...This is all presuming my initial speculations are correct, and this strange new guy is in fact "Jim".
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Just one more thing, I got on the DDI facebook page, and asked about bluetooth gamepad/keyboard support, and it began to open up more complaints on their wall, LOL.... oops

It's still up there. My pic is of the mildly disturbed looking guy (me) with Frylock in the background.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

MysteriousWarrior wrote:
Rockman wrote:LOL!!! Yoooo! After I posted this up my friend came by, we were watching the videos and made the same exact connection you did!! If that's jim though he looks totally different then his DD3 incarnation, but this game is all about re-designs so we'll see!

I'll look at all the secret character slots and match them with all the different characters in the game to see if theres an extra spot left over.. that should help us figure out a bit more.

I think you have to beat the game enough time to unlock all the dudes and then you'll fight him... Man I know I sound like a broken record but I sooo wish this had actual controls =( !

Also off topic and fan boyish, but you ever notice how Willy is short for the name William which the nickname for in itself is Bill?? And of course Jim can be short for James, but you could also call him Jimmy?

Soooo Willy = Billy and Jim = Jimmy!

I think it's cool how the Boss and his brother have different forms of the same names as Billy and Jimmy.. Just sayin lol.

Yeah, I remember thinking about the name thing with Willy/Jim and Billy/Jimmy a while back. I used to think that it was just an amusing coincidence with the old DD3, but with the new game, it's almost like Willy and Jim are made to be an evil counter point to Billy and Jimmy.

The direct arch enemy to the double dragons has been a common theme since "Return of Double Dragon" with it's iteration of the Chin brothers who claimed to be the true twin dragons. It kind of seems like this time they have put that evil "anti-Double Dragon" persona with Willy and Jim. I mean, check out the Black Warrior's fortress. The statues of Willy, and (who I presume to be) Jim are set next to red (next to Willy, who also happens to wear red in DD2) and blue (possibly Jim) dragons, and now Willy is a total kung fu baddass. It all adds up if you think about it. Their colors are opposite, and they are villains. They are like the yin to the Double Dragon's yang. Man this theory is starting to sound good (and dorky), lol.

...This is all presuming my initial speculations are correct, and this strange new guy is in fact "Jim".

I definitely think it's a corrupt assumption. They pretty much all but spell it out with the hideout wall statues, and it definitely fits the theme of it. It's pretty cool to see them plucking characters from various series. Like Rockman, I love how they brought Chin back(who seems to be closer to his NES counterpart than his DD2 appearance) I find it funny how Burnov has played a role in so many DD games, from the Neo Geo vs fighter to DDA.

Also, I had no idea that Jim in DD3 was Willy's brother. Either that or I wasn't paying attention. I just remember reading how "Jim" is the biker gang leader boss in the arcade DD3, besides also being in the NES DD3.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Rockman wrote:Alrighty guys, ask and you shall receive! I've upload the entire game from Intro through ending with all the stages in between! I played through with Jimmy, who as you may or may not know is my favorite, but with the little I've played with Billy it doesn't seem like the dialogue differs a whole lot.

Intro + Stage 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnKSJZpx6YY

Stage 2 + Bonus Stage 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAiBxFiirQ

Stage 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MVi5TrCU8

Stage 4 (Enter Chin!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQZYACoxhw

Stage 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KreZMJ36Wsc

Bonus Stage 2 + Final Stage (and Return of Chin!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cvby4xgv_g

Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xtwRfDgtY

So there you guys go! I may record and upload the "How to Play" instructions in the game a bit later and give you a look at the character select screen and Data (Lots of fun facts in there! Did you know Linda was married to Williams? =O ).

Frikkin' AWESOME, dude. Well done, and thanks a lot. Speaking as a Double Dragon fan with no access to an iPhone, this was about as close as I'm gonna get, so again, thanks.

And yeah, PLEASE keep it coming - I'd really like to see the character select screen, and the Data (I love characters and background story. Some of my gaming buddies only play for the games themselves, but for me, immersing myself in the reality of a game has always been part of the fun).

As for the difference between a Billy / Jimmy playthrough, I checked out OmKol's playthrough with Billy (part 1 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5VmmaNF ... re=related
and part 2 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udAVpOg0 ... re=related ). It's a bit blurry, but the dialogue seems to be EXACTLY the same ... until you've beaten Willy.

SPOILER ALERT!

As you know, Marian tells Jimmy "Oh how scary! You've always been my hero! Thankyou, Jimmy." Then, we cut to a pic of her hugging him.

However, she tells Billy "Oh how scary! (Blurry word I can't read but might be 'Thanks',) Billy. I knew you'd come and save me." Then, we cut to a different pic, of her hugging him. Slut. But I like the fact that it's not just the same image, with one Lee brother substituted for the other.

So, if they rescued her together?

Rockman wrote:it's way more bad ass when you play as both dragons as there is a whole set of dialogue that goes down between his "transformation"!
Most of all I was upset bc he cut out the amazing part with Chin! Gah I wan't to tell you guys but I'd much rather show you lol.

Oh please, oh pretty please.

That aside, why do you suppose Brizo made her ditch her characteristic red dress, for chaps and a cowboy hat? I'm guessing it's a reference to the way she dressed in the movie. But why would they want to bring that up? Sure, It's kinda hot, but it doesn't feel like Marian. Besides, who brings along a change of clothes, when they get kidnapped?
Driversold
Purple Belt

Post by Driversold »

I downloaded it and so far have been enjoying it. I'm a huge fan, but was a little skeptical, because most of these side-scrollers are tough to manuever on the iPhone. This, however, isn't too bad. I have larger fingers, but I haven't had any problems moving the Lees in different directions or hitting the right action move.

The graphics are great and I like how the stages (only played the first 2) are somewhat altered graphically. Such as the ladder on the first stage is bent and ruined. Nothing a newbie would care about, but an old fan like me can appreciate. Characters are pretty fluid.

I hope this is just a hint of what might come as far as consoles. Would be nice if the company put together the Nes Versions and Original arcade versions on to one WII disc.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Sweet full feature review of DDi!

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011 ... ne-review/

How did they get such clear screenshots of the game?
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

I don't know how they got them but I can get the same quality shots using the display recorder app if there's any shot in particular you want. The videos are actually that clear as well, but because it was too high quality/resolution for me to edit it and re-encode as it was.

I've been "campaigning" pretty hard on the DD:iPhone facebook site and after calling out the developers for not answering me (I was completely un-rude lol) they finally responded a bit about the controls. Saying that they're "now discussing internally on what we can do", at least its something. Also a few people, who aren't me, are asking them about getting a release of this on PSN or XBLA soooo if that goes down HOORAY for new DD game on an actual gaming platform!

But just as exciting is the fact that they've actually acknowledged this site and the awesome works of, as they call him, "Mr. Dojo master" lol. It seems that someone else there has already asked for an interview. Maybe we can do the same a get an exclusive for The Dojo??

What do you think DM??
Dan Druff
Purple Belt

Post by Dan Druff »

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/115/1154925p1.html

I bought this the first day, and I'm not loving it. I actually agree with IGN about this game. As much as I wanted to like the game, I can't deal with the controls. Bad controls and cheap enemies make for a very unpleasant gaming experience. I find myself fighting the controls more than the enemies. I lose more lives falling off places than I do getting bodied. The game is not a total loss to me. If you remember my posts from the previous forum, I am a fan of credible female opponents. Even though the female enemies disappear after the fifth stage, this is the first game with not one but two female bosses. I wished Lavis could have been the perverted boss instead of Burnov, but this is direction of the new Double Dragon not taking itself as seriously as it used to. I could just be salty because I still haven't beaten the game yet.