Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Got a hot tip about the Double Dragon series? Post it here!

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Rockman
Green Belt

Re: Double Dragon Remake Coming to iPhone and iPod Touch

Post by Rockman »

mechapop wrote:Wow, only $4 bucks? My friend and I just had to pay $15 for the new Contra game(Hard Corps Uprising) which is also a digital download. Also didn't know this would be out this early in March, nice!
The exp+ move system is a nice touch, didn't know they'd be going with that. I had a feeling though, like most iphone games, that the controls would be a bit wonky. I wish there was a usb out for controllers or something. Not even the ipad2 has usb...I guess the guys at apple aren't as bright as they think they are. One would think in 4 years of the iphone being out there, someone woulda figured out a clever way to map controls to an external device. Controls aside, sounds like it's pretty glorious. I take it the scrolling/frame rate/hit detection is good too? Can't wait to see a direct video feed and a full run down of all the stages/bosses/moves/ending.

Holy crap! I didn't know Hard Corps 2 was out =O! Gonna go buy it as soon as I'm done with this post lol. But, back on topic, I beat the game today and... WOW. They really went all out with this game, new attacks, experience system, AMAZING bosses and dialogue (Chin is officially my most favorite DD boss EVER) and a Surprise last boss.. yup, you heard me right, surprise!

But I gotta say.. touch screen really destroys it =\ . Sooo many juggles missed, so many attacks not working, walking diagonally sometimes.. gah it's so frustrating.. especially because the game is REALLY good! The new stages are awesome its just.. gah.. I don't even know what to say anymore about it bc while the controls MAKE the game, something must be said for the awesome game that is directly beneath the surface.

They even added fighting game type mechanics and tricks like crouch cancelling (the act of hitting crouch right as you land from a jump or aerial attack to cancel the recovery time/cut the landing animation and do more juggles and/or move faster) and it's all in there purposely because they tell you how to do it in the in-game "how to play" section!

I'm on a serious love hate tear with this game.. anybody have any requests let me know and I'll upload video for you. Just don't ask for too much gameplay because Im ashamed at how much the controls make me suck lol
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:
mechapop wrote:Wow, only $4 bucks? My friend and I just had to pay $15 for the new Contra game(Hard Corps Uprising) which is also a digital download. Also didn't know this would be out this early in March, nice!
The exp+ move system is a nice touch, didn't know they'd be going with that. I had a feeling though, like most iphone games, that the controls would be a bit wonky. I wish there was a usb out for controllers or something. Not even the ipad2 has usb...I guess the guys at apple aren't as bright as they think they are. One would think in 4 years of the iphone being out there, someone woulda figured out a clever way to map controls to an external device. Controls aside, sounds like it's pretty glorious. I take it the scrolling/frame rate/hit detection is good too? Can't wait to see a direct video feed and a full run down of all the stages/bosses/moves/ending.

Holy crap! I didn't know Hard Corps 2 was out =O! Gonna go buy it as soon as I'm done with this post lol. But, back on topic, I beat the game today and... WOW. They really went all out with this game, new attacks, experience system, AMAZING bosses and dialogue (Chin is officially my most favorite DD boss EVER) and a Surprise last boss.. yup, you heard me right, surprise!

But I gotta say.. touch screen really destroys it =\ . Sooo many juggles missed, so many attacks not working, walking diagonally sometimes.. gah it's so frustrating.. especially because the game is REALLY good! The new stages are awesome its just.. gah.. I don't even know what to say anymore about it bc while the controls MAKE the game, something must be said for the awesome game that is directly beneath the surface.

They even added fighting game type mechanics and tricks like crouch cancelling (the act of hitting crouch right as you land from a jump or aerial attack to cancel the recovery time/cut the landing animation and do more juggles and/or move faster) and it's all in there purposely because they tell you how to do it in the in-game "how to play" section!

I'm on a serious love hate tear with this game.. anybody have any requests let me know and I'll upload video for you. Just don't ask for too much gameplay because Im ashamed at how much the controls make me suck lol

I literally just bought an itouch(used for $50) today, partly out of excitement to finally play this and also because there's a tonnn of other games out there I want to play on it(SF4, Dead Rising, etc) I don't own a 3d system myself other than a PC, so I don't mind scaled down versions. My friend is bringing over his xbox with the freshly downloaded Hard Corps Uprising, so I'll let ya know how it is.
I'm wondering how I'll be able to get games from itunes if it's not tied to an iphone account, but I'll figure it out. $3-$4 a game for really well developed stuff is great.

The more I hear of this DDi game, the more incredible it sounds. And this is just the stuff you know of from a quick play through. I can imagine all the secrets, bonus hidden stuff or cool glitches. I wonder if there will be any leaderscore board or download content. The fact they added a lot of modern Vs. Fighter moves and culture to it is also quite slick.

The control issue: I have not played enough 3d or side scroller iphone games to give my thoughts on it, however I'll say from the games I've played...using a virtual dpad is a heckuva lot easier to me than ds games that are all stylus. That drives me nuts! From Ninja Gaiden and Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ to Star Fox, I just absolutely loathe using the stylus for anything
Anyways, can't wait to compare notes on DDi soon with ya! As for requests, just a basic lvl1 walk through like DDZ with moves would be cool, I could imagine down the road a video that highlights parts of all the levels, bosses and cool stuff. I can't wait to out the iphone to my tv!

And now, dude...I just saw two new screens that really excited me for some reason:

and

To me this is what DDA should have been, as I am just loving that. The bizarre Akysys/Arc anime drawn look of the new Burnov set amidst the backdrop of 1987 DD1's second stage, just way too wicked.
And the second screenshot totally gives me a cool Streets of Rage vibe.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Only one video on youtube so far. It showcases the entire first level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvY3WzRn2Xo

Looking forward to some Rockman vids myself. Even at your worst, Rockman, awkward touch screen controls or not, you are no doubt ten times more adept at this game than the guy in this video.

It's too bad that there are no emulators for iphone/droid games on pc. I would totally donate my $4 to brizzo, and just play the emulated version on the pc.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

MysteriousWarrior wrote:Only one video on youtube so far. It showcases the entire first level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvY3WzRn2Xo

Looking forward to some Rockman vids myself. Even at your worst, Rockman, awkward touch screen controls or not, you are no doubt ten times more adept at this game than the guy in this video.

It's too bad that there are no emulators for iphone/droid games on pc. I would totally donate my $4 to brizzo, and just play the emulated version on the pc.

Yo, that would be the best solution! I mean there's a very slight chance it could come to pc, I mean Zenonia was a little known rpg that had a pretty hardcore fan base and after releasing that game for iphone, android and, ironically enough, zeebo they ported it over to PC. I mean it's not really something to totally base it on but there's a chance.

Anywho, Mechapop, seeing the screen shot you picked and the fact that I realized I hadn't even tried to hook my iphone up to the db amp to record stuff, I decided to do a small test video this morning before work. It shows burnovs intro (sickness) and the dialogue afterwards. Jimmy is a little angry/vulgar (but I'd expect that lol) and Burnov is a little...Bisexual?? LOL Watch the vid to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h6Qqn1EQtg

The quality on tv-out is decent and I KNOW it would be 100 times better if I had the component output wires, but I don't have a component recorder so this is unfortunately the clearest I would be able to make videos for you guys =\ . Besides that though I'll try to at least get a lvl1 run through for you guys done! And I may be able to borrow a friends iPod so that I can do a move breakdown like zeebo. I'm not giving up on using a controller for this game either! I did some research and apparently it's not unheard of to map buttons on a bluetooth keyboard to touch screen events as people have done it in the past. Not something that's terribly easy either but if I can find out how it works I'll definitely give it a serious try! Heck I learned mips coding and hacked an entire psp game to make it more fair so I get a little rabid when it comes to things Im into!

Either way enjoy the small clip for now. Promise to get more done later!

EDIT: Just saw these! Not the perfect example but better then nothing I suppose.. I could see the benefit of it and dont know why the author is hating on it so hard. Heck even the 4 comments at the bottom feel the same!

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/07/turn-you ... k-on-butt/
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Yo, that would be the best solution! I mean there's a very slight chance it could come to pc, I mean Zenonia was a little known rpg that had a pretty hardcore fan base and after releasing that game for iphone, android and, ironically enough, zeebo they ported it over to PC. I mean it's not really something to totally base it on but there's a chance.

Man, I hope that this gets ported over to pc or something. I think it would be downright wrong if this did not make it's way over to XBLA or PSN, at least in some form, especially considering the huge success of games like 'Castle Crashers' and 'Scott Pilgrim'. There must be some hope for Double Dragon fans who don't have 'ballin' touchscreen phones, lol.

Anywho, Mechapop, seeing the screen shot you picked and the fact that I realized I hadn't even tried to hook my iphone up to the db amp to record stuff, I decided to do a small test video this morning before work. It shows burnovs intro (sickness) and the dialogue afterwards. Jimmy is a little angry/vulgar (but I'd expect that lol) and Burnov is a little...Bisexual?? LOL Watch the vid to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h6Qqn1EQtg

Burnov's dialogue, LOL!. Burnov being a scary, violent bi or homosexual BDSM freak isn't much of a stretch when considering the creepiness and look of the character. I mean that laugh from DD2 arcade spoke volumes! For all we know it has been common knowledge all along in Japan. I mean, how many casual gamers are actually aware that Zangief of SF2 fame is a homosexual character? Personally, I think it makes Burnov more creepy and interesting. Also, I think that you have to be human to be gay or bisexual, and I am not sure that Burnov applies. At any rate, love the new intro, and dig the new mask! Also, I like how his old mask is on underneath the new one, it's a nice touch.

I also came across a new video on youtube. ** WARNING SPOILERS**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIShShqPMYo

The video shows the fight against good ole Machine Gun Willy himself, who has some cool new tricks up his sleeve. Also, we get a glimpse of an unlocked Burnov fighting alongside Jimmy against the Black Warriors. Unfortunately, the video doesn't show the surprise end boss Rockman was hinting at, but there are a pair of relief statues on the walls that look a bit like maybe a pair of gen setsu ken warriors? Perhaps maybe Duke and Raymond? Just fanboy speculation on my part, but that would be pretty baddass!
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

WOW, I did NOT know that about Zangief lol. No matter, still one of my favorite characters in SF.. and lmao @ comment about Burnov not being quite human. I mean the dude does disintegrate and then re-appear!

No love for the gensatsuken masters and the statues on the wall are actually two dragons (one red and one blue ironically), also willy's "new tricks" is actually the surprise BUT it's way more bad ass when you play as both dragons as there is a whole set of dialogue that goes down between his "transformation"!

Most of all I was upset bc he cut out the amazing part with Chin! Gah I wan't to tell you guys but I'd much rather show you lol. I found out about an app that allows you to record video directly on the ipod itself sooo super clear videos to come this weekend! Bad playing be damned, there's so much stuff I want to show you guys!

Also at the moment it is in complete infancy stage BUT I may have a way for this game to be played with an actual physical controller! Stay Tuned!
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Yeah man, they don't call him the Russian Bear for nothing, LOL!

Aw man, I was really hoping for a Mysterious warrior, Duke, or Raymond like character hidden in this game, but that's alright. As for the statues on the wall at Willy's arena, they are both right next to the dragon statues. They are pretty high up, and for all I know, it could just be statues of Billy and Jimmy.

Yeah, when I saw Willy drop his gun, I was like "Holy $%#t! Willy's got the GLOW! SHO'NUFF!" He's got some mean looking attacks too.

Looking really forward to seeing some vids, Rockman. Can't wait to see some NES Chin madness. And, the best part is now you can unlock and play as him, too!
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

First off, 200 Points for Last Dragon Reference lol

Alrighty guys, ask and you shall receive! I've upload the entire game from Intro through ending with all the stages in between! I played through with Jimmy, who as you may or may not know is my favorite, but with the little I've played with Billy it doesn't seem like the dialogue differs a whole lot. In the video you'll see my crappy playing due to the crappy touch screen controls (i.e. I'll run up to an opponent and do nothing sometimes because I'd miss the button and I've dropped LOTS of juggles as well as not doing some of the really cool innovative ones that I know you can do), but it still takes you through the game a bit faster and better then some of the other youtube vids. Plus it's recorded directly from the iphone so it's super clear!!

In the vid you'll see some of the new moves such as Jimmy's axe handle smash and the Dragon Hyper Uppercut! There are way more but I haven't maxed my EXP points yet (through 2 playthroughs!).

So here are the videos, and guys if any of you have facebook or twitter please help me in telling Brizo on their facebook page that WE WANT BLUETOOTH CONTROL PAD/KEYBOARD SUPPORT!! I posted a long entry on their wall about it but they simply ignored me and chose to answer other ppls posts. So help me out!

Intro + Stage 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnKSJZpx6YY

Stage 2 + Bonus Stage 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAiBxFiirQ

Stage 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6MVi5TrCU8

Stage 4 (Enter Chin!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQZYACoxhw

Stage 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KreZMJ36Wsc

Bonus Stage 2 + Final Stage (and Return of Chin!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cvby4xgv_g

Ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xtwRfDgtY

So there you guys go! I may record and upload the "How to Play" instructions in the game a bit later and give you a look at the character select screen and Data (Lots of fun facts in there! Did you know Linda was married to Williams? =O ). So enjoy it and seriously do me a favor and help me to get Brizo to hear our voices!
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Rockman, thanks for sharing the great videos. I can truly see the frustration with those touch screen controls, with that said, your gameplay was still much better than what has been shown in other videos. I hope brizzo does something to improve on these control issues. This looks like too good of a game to be hampered by awkward control.

In watching these videos, I've noticed some interesting things toward the end. **SPOILERS**

Notice the statues in between the classic gargoyles. The one on the left (your left, the viewer) is obviously Willy. But, there is another statue on the right of someone new with spiky hair and sideburns.

...And, again in Willy's lair next to the red dragon we have Willy's statue, and next to the blue dragon we have a statue of this unknown spiky haired guy again. Then finally, at the end of the credits...

The Lees and Marion drive right past a silver spiky haired guy with sideburns in front of a motorcycle. Same guy perhaps? And who could this mystery guy be? My main speculation is that he could possibly be none other than a revamped version of Willy's brother Jim from DD3.

Could this mean that "Jim" is a secret character in the game? Or, along with the ominous message at the end of the credits, a hint of a possible sequel?

Thanks goes out of course to Rockman for uploading videos clear enough to notice these details.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

LOL!!! Yoooo! After I posted this up my friend came by, we were watching the videos and made the same exact connection you did!! If that's jim though he looks totally different then his DD3 incarnation, but this game is all about re-designs so we'll see!

I'll look at all the secret character slots and match them with all the different characters in the game to see if theres an extra spot left over.. that should help us figure out a bit more.

I think you have to beat the game enough time to unlock all the dudes and then you'll fight him... Man I know I sound like a broken record but I sooo wish this had actual controls =( !

Also off topic and fan boyish, but you ever notice how Willy is short for the name William which the nickname for in itself is Bill?? And of course Jim can be short for James, but you could also call him Jimmy?

Soooo Willy = Billy and Jim = Jimmy!

I think it's cool how the Boss and his brother have different forms of the same names as Billy and Jimmy.. Just sayin lol.