Another DD fangame

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Play2win
Black Belt

Re: Another DD fangame

Post by Play2win »

Any chance you'll be including Willy's Brother from the nes DD3?
May you live hapilly forever...
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Looks good!

Is that the Sydney Opera House I see in the background of the first "original" mode screenshot?
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Play2win wrote:Any chance you'll be including Willy's Brother from the nes DD3?

Yes, in fact the "original mode" will be against Jim's Neo Shadow Warriors. So Daby, Gibson and other enemies from that game will be here. (Even Hanzo and Chin as playable characters). The thing is, even when I LOVE Nes DD3, I don't like the idea of world trotters, so it will be more similar to the DD1 and DD2.

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:Looks good!

Is that the Sydney Opera House I see in the background of the first "original" mode screenshot?

Thanks!!
And no... I is not the Opera house, it's part of a ship. Although is a good idea, I will not include stages "overseas" :)
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Awesome :)
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Die_In_Fire wrote:the "original mode" will be against Jim's Neo Shadow Warriors. So Daby, Gibson and other enemies from that game will be here. (Even Hanzo and Chin as playable characters). The thing is, even when I LOVE Nes DD3, I don't like the idea of world trotters, so it will be more similar to the DD1 and DD2.

THANKYOU.

I have been ranting about that for years, so it's good to know I'm not the only one.

Seriously, I've felt that DD3 should have followed the formula set by its predecessors, with the plot focused on the new threat of Jim and the Neo-Shadows.

Not, as I've said many times on these forums,
Eddie MountainGoat wrote:a globe-trotting quest for magic rocks, starring Egyptian mummies and walking trees

Are you by any chance going to remove those elements, too? No sacred / Rosetta stones, no Cleopatra, no related silliness?
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

The arcade DD3 did have some senseless plot elements, but there were a few redeeming qualities. It's the only Double Dragon game on any console to feature Bruce Lee as a boss, and some of the BGM tunes are memorable...
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:THANKYOU.

I have been ranting about that for years, so it's good to know I'm not the only one.

Seriously, I've felt that DD3 should have followed the formula set by its predecessors, with the plot focused on the new threat of Jim and the Neo-Shadows.

Are you by any chance going to remove those elements, too? No sacred / Rosetta stones, no Cleopatra, no related silliness?

Yeap no Cleopatra and no stones. I think I will put Rodney, but it will be a member of Jim's gang, not a wrestler on italy.
It will be very simple on plot-wise. I'm not sure of putting Chin and Ranzou, but I want them as playables so to speak...

Play2win wrote:The arcade DD3 did have some senseless plot elements, but there were a few redeeming qualities. It's the only Double Dragon game on any console to feature Bruce Lee as a boss, and some of the BGM tunes are memorable...
Actually the idea of buying new chars was good but bad implemented. To buy weapons was silly, you got them for free on the prequels. I kinda like some sprites also (chopped animation though). And the music yes it's pretty good.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Die_In_Fire wrote:Actually the idea of buying new chars was good but bad implemented. To buy weapons was silly, you got them for free on the prequels. I kinda like some sprites also (chopped animation though). And the music yes it's pretty good.

Some of the sprites are pretty nice looking, I don't know if it's possible but it would be great if you could include the level 1, 2, and 3 bosses...
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Okay, fair point, I actually like most of the arcade sprites. But unfortunately, Billy and Jimmy's sprites (and Sonny's) just look damn TERRIBLE, even without the choppy animation. And when the main heroes look that bad, not even brilliantly sprited enemies can save the overall appearance - and I guess DD3 arcade proves that. I've never really liked Seimei's design, either (I think he's supposed to be based on Sammo Hung - this would back up Johnny2x4's theory in this thread that Taimei is based on Jackie Chan, given that Hung is Chan's "Big Brother", from their school).

Also, the backgrounds are the best looking, of all three arcade BEUs. I particularly like the statue in Ranzou's Dojo, and the Puzzle Room, with the giant, one-eyed monster thingy (although the gameplay in that room does not feel Double Dragon-y, at all. Then again, niether does the entire game).

As for the bosses ...

- Boss 1 is Jim, and I prefer his sleeveless NES look, over the arcade one.

- Boss 2 is the Bruce Lee clone you already mentioned, and a possible issue with putting him in a NES game is that his design is too similar to the one originally used for Chin Taimei (compare the Li sprite to the Chintai collector card, or Chin's chartacter art).

- Boss 3 is Ranzou. While his larger size on the arcade makes him more appropriate for an unplayable boss, his folded arms stance isn't exactly appropriate for fighting. I'm not sure which of his two designs I prefer, arcade or NES (admiteddly, they are mostly the same).

To be honest, the boss design I like most is boss 4, Giuliano the Gladiator. And check out the artwork of him they used, on the arcade bezel. Pretty badass.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

All very good points! Generally I'd agree that the nes sprite designs will probably suit your purpose better, however if you could somehow include the DD3 arcade characters which were left out of the nes version, and keep the right look and feel, then that would really be something...