Double Dragon 128k - The graphics

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Swainy
Brown Belt

Re: Double Dragon 128k - The graphics

Post by Swainy »

Ok, not really an update on the progress of the game but I was recently interviewed for the 1 hour monthly podcast show which is a Double Dragon special that you might all be interested in:

http://1hourmonthlypodcastshow.co.uk/?p=1547

The podcast can be played on that page
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

It's sad in a way that you spend most of the time slagging off DD sequels and ports than actually praising it but the story about you getting a early copy of the game was great! Interesting stuff. I remember sending my mother to grab a copy on release day.

Maybe you should introduce a character called "Murphy". Hahaha!
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Just a quick update. Not got much done at all this week due to work but hopefully I'm meeting up with Fikee (the programmer) tomorrow for a drink as he is in London for the weekend.

Anyhow, here is some of the animation thrown together:

Got to do using weapons and throwing animations then I can move on to the other characters.

Steve Halfpenny

Wow. The main sprite looks even better with all the movements. A real triumph I think and even if you don't get this finished, I think you've already proven your point.
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Just met up with Fikee, the guy who is programming this. He is really keen on the project and tells me that he will make sure that it does get finished so I don't think we have any worries on that score.

I can now confirm that it will have in-game music and be a single load :)
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Nearly there... Just a few more frames to draw, hopefully I'll get those done tonight then it's a case of modifying the moves for the other characters. Oh and to draw the bigger charcters of course.

Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Guy's, seeing as it was the ZX Spectrum's 30th Birtday yesterday I thought I should give you guys an update. Steve Halfpenny is already aware of this but I now have a new coder on board. The big news is this guy done some real classic arcade conversions back in the day! His name is Jim Bagley and he started work on Double Dragon a month or so ago. He then had to stop while he worked on a paid project (he codes iphone games these days for a living) but work on Double Dragon resumes this weekend. Here is a video of the new Spectrum version in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3oaobLzzM
Steve Halfpenny

That music is still sensationally impressive! As somebody says, you can see and hear easy comparisons to the Game Boy. I actually like that scrolling style too meaning that the game will never get jerky (the original port was of course, jerk city). But the most impressive thing is how smooth and professional it is. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from the programmer involved (his version of Midnight Resistance was especially tidy and received rave reviews back in the day).

This is coming along nicely though highly improbable to think that it could have came out like this in '88 (unless Ocean had bagged the rights of course). I live to see the day somebody ports an arcade perfect version for the Amiga / Atari ST however! (Easily more than very possible)
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:That music is still sensationally impressive! As somebody says, you can see and hear easy comparisons to the Game Boy. I actually like that scrolling style too meaning that the game will never get jerky (the original port was of course, jerk city). But the most impressive thing is how smooth and professional it is. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from the programmer involved (his version of Midnight Resistance was especially tidy and received rave reviews back in the day).

This is coming along nicely though highly improbable to think that it could have came out like this in '88 (unless Ocean had bagged the rights of course). I live to see the day somebody ports an arcade perfect version for the Amiga / Atari ST however! (Easily more than very possible)

Yeah, the 16bits should and could have been so much closer to the arcade.