Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Steve Halfpenny

Re: Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Vigilante is one of those odd "follow ups" rather than a strict sequel as it only shares similarities with Kung Fu Master in the sense of the game type. Obviously the storylines are completely different and share no relation (other than being about a fighter who is on a mission to rescue a girl. Geez, where else have I heard that... ;) ).

Never, ever played Heavy Barrel. Maybe I should check it out sometime.
cartman
Yellow Belt

Post by cartman »

JimmyLee wrote:Brizo Interactive is apparently the new owner of the franchise. I have e-mailed them to get permission to distribute the game, and this is the answer:

Mr. Cleber

My name is Ryosuke Jinno, a marketing direcotr of
Brizo Interactive.

Regarding your inquiry, our answer is as below.
What you are doing is a software piracy and it's against the law.

1.You must immediately stop developing Double Dragon Forever.

2.You must immediately stop publishing/distributing Double
Dragon Forevery on any platform at any time.

Your were supposed to ask us BEFORE you develop or
plan any games concerning Double Dragon.

The rights of "Double Dragon" has been already acquired exclusively
and there'll be no room for you to get the new one.

Please proceed above mentioned at once and let me know.

- Ryosuke Jinno

Sorry, DD fans. It's over.

I'd let him know that not a single fuck has been given and that i'll just release it anyway. All you have to do is put the shit on piratebay and it will be out there forever, impossible to remove.

Who the fuck is this guy anyway, buying a brand and now thinking that it's all his and that people who want to create something that's related to "double dragon" should not be aloud to? I bet this douchefuck isn't complaining about the fanart & comics that some people have made. Only when someone makes something that could've turned a profit if he made it himself (like a game) is his ugly face appearing to prevent it.

These people basically don't want to do their fucking job but still being all protective of their franchise when some idealist out there does it. Just look at the smug-tone he's talking to you in, sitting there and thinking he's the fucking King Kong. Release it anyway man and shove it right in his face.
Jake Crusher
White Belt

Post by Jake Crusher »

Can I be honest? I'angry. No - I AM angry. I'M FUCKING ANGRY.

Seriously, what the hell? Out of a sudden, this man appears and tells to stop DDF's development, and because of what? Because his company (which I've never heard of before) has bought rights of DD brand? Bullshit - where this mister has been when DDF's development was already in progress? Or at the time when Zeebo's version was released (it has been made by Brizo, right?), why there were no complaints?
And why asking Brizo at all? If CMC did not receive any mail like this from Million/Atlus - then what's the point of such rambling? As far as I know, Million still holds the brand's rights (correct me, please, if I'm wrong), so basically, Jinno-san is probably exaggerating. And did iPhone version prove to be any good at all?

(BTW, did Million send letters like this to fans, who've been making Nekketsu fan-games/fan remakes?)

Nevertheless, yes, it is bad news. I'm really sad that the fan-game, which is really VERY CLOSELY connected to the DD's spirit, is cancelled. Is there any possibility to continue, or that's it?
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Cartman, Jake Crusher,

Read my back and forth with Cleber before getting all indignant with Ryosuke Jinno:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=355&start=10

Cleber has said himself that he is finished with this game, and has been so for a very long time. I offered to host the full game myself, take any and all potential legal repercussions, and even help with development, but the game is finished according to Cleber.

The main thing that pisses me off about this project is that I helped with development, and on the final release of the game, my name along with everyone else's name who assisted in development, had their name removed from the credits. Cleber didn't have my permission to remove my name from the credits, but he certainly did keep all of the work I contributed.

He claims he was protecting us from potential legal threats, but still didn't ask my permission, and when I aired this grievance with him in the topic link above, he didn't offer to put my name back on said credits, or remove my contributions. Regardless of Cleber's intentions, his game has mine, and other contributors stolen work, and I for one do not appreciate that.

I will go on the record saying the "Ryosuke Jinno" excuse for abandoning the project is a load of malarkey. Cleber, and Cleber alone decided the project was done.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Last edited by JimmyLee on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

I'm not sure why anyone is getting pissed about the game getting pulled or having their name removed from the credits. Cleber only had our best interests at heart regarding the credits and there was always a risk that creating an unofficial sequel to a well known series would grab the attention of whoever owned the rights. Look at the Streets Of Rage remake, those guys worked on that game for 8 years and it got pulled a week after release.

Personally I'm proud that we got to work with someone so talented as Cleber, the only programmer who has managed to get the fighting physics of Double Dragon right... The game felt like a real Double Dragon game.

What I would love to see, is Cleber continue on the engine and release a beat em up construction kit or maybe an original scrolling beat em up with it.

Going back to DDF, I've got to admit that I felt that it did feel a little unfinished but that was mainly because when I designed the car park level, I did plan to have a lot more features planned for that level such as parked up cars that would suddenly pull out and drive at the players and also vans that drive along and bad guys would jump out of the back of them. Sadly none of those planned features appeared in the final version. Also I felt that we had too many levels and too many bad guys appearing on certain levels. I think that an edited shorter version of the game with a few less bad guys would have played better.

Looking back at it now, I would probably change the layout of some of the levels that I designed. I think that the first and second levels were probably the best of my work. I guess that now I would design levels knowing what Clebers engine is capable of, rather than hoping that it would be able to 100% emulate the original Double Dragon engine. The lack of a splash when you fall in the water for example... So rather than have a river on level 2 I'd replace it with a hole.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Thanks for everything dude.
I had a lot of fun developing this.
Sure there are a few missing things, but I think it's a strong game, specially the last version. I still like to play it once in a while.
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

JimmyLee wrote:Thanks for everything dude.
I had a lot of fun developing this.
Sure there are a few missing things, but I think it's a strong game, specially the last version. I still like to play it once in a while.

Cleber, I think you done a top job. I wish I had your tallent that's for sure! Any time you need some graphics for a game then feel free to give me a shout.
JHB
White Belt

Post by JHB »

I am fully aware of the cirumstances surrounding the development of this game, BUT I AM DESPERATE TO PLAY IT! I have downloaded the files but can't seem to get it to work. I don't want to put anyone in an inposition, but can anyone help?
Rukasu
White Belt

Post by Rukasu »

Too bad. The company that has the rights haven´t done anything good with Double Dragon. I hope that some day I can see and play that masterpiece you were working on.