[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Double Dragon Dojo Forums • View topic - Musing on DD characters’ names

Double Dragon Dojo Forums

The discussion area for "the greatest martial arts series ever."
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Musing on DD characters’ names
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:42 am 
Red Belt

Just thinking about where the Double Dragon characters got their names from. Anybody who has any further insights, please share!

We’ll get the obvious stuff out of the way, first: Williams, Roper, Bolo and O’Hara are all named after characters from “Enter the Dragon.”

The source of the Lee brothers’ surname should also be fairly obvious.

___

THE HEROES:

- Billy is probably named after Bruce Lee’s character in “Game of Death”, Billy Lo.

- There is a character named Jimmy, in “Way of the Dragon”. He serves as the Karate instructor to the good guys, and is initially sceptical of the Kung Fu used by Bruce Lee’s character – and a more than a little antagonistic to Lee. I guess the two have a more NES-like relationship.

- Marian is likely named after Maria Yi, who played the damsel in distress, in “The Big Boss”. The “N” on the end of her name might come from Nora Miao (whose name could also be Japlishised into Marian), who was the leading lady in both “Fist of Fury” and “Way of the Dragon”.

The surname “Kelly” probably comes from Jim Kelly, who played Williams in “Enter the Dragon.”
___

THE VILLAINS:

- Linda was probably named after Bruce Lee’s real-life wife, Linda Lee Cadwell.

- Abobo: Okay, unlike the above characters, this is just me going out on a limb. There is no actor or character in any Bruce Lee movie, named Abobo. My theory is that his name is a Japlishisation, of Mr T.’s A-Team character, B.A. Baracus. It’s not a big jump, from BABa, to Abobo, right?

If I am right on that one, it would seem that it was originally the mohawked boss – not the bald sub-boss – who was meant to be Abobo (see ).

[For the record, it’s my thinking now – based on that thread and all the merchandise I’m aware of – that both of them are named Abobo, and that Bolo is the name of the long-haired guy in both NES and arcade DD II.]

- Chin Taimei: Also mentioned in that thread was Jonny2x4’s theory that Chin is a Jackie Chan clone. This would account for his family name, but I don’t know where the name “Taimei” might come from. Any ideas?

- Burnov: I know I’m stretching it with this one, but I think his Russian-sounding name was inspired by the villain Petrov, in “Fist of Fury”.

- Abore: I’ve heard that his name is supposed to be an amalgamation of “Abobo” and either “Andre” (the Giant) or “Arnie” (Schwarzenegger). While the latter certainly seems to be the case for his NES appearance, Abore’s arcade incarnation dresses more like and has the facial expression of in “Way of the Dragon” (the villain played by Chuck Norris). Okay, his face could also be Arnie’s, in “The Terminator”.

- As for Willy and Jeff, I just don’t know. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Musing on DD characters’ names
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am 
Red Belt

I was surprised to read(was it Retro Gamer? I forget) that most the DD characters names were derived from Bruce Lee films. That's why I agree
how lame it was for them to make this fake "80s" Double Dragon Neon game(which didnt even seem 80s, more like a weird futuristic 70s)
Double Dragon wasnt colorful...tho Double Dragon 2 kind of was.

Regarding Abore...second I saw him 24 years ago I knew he was suppose to be based on Arnold; which was a popular cliche
of late 80s arcade games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:02 am 
Black Belt

All very interesting theories. Regarding Abore- you are both correct. It's very clearly an Arnold (Schwartzeneger) reference. This connection is referenced in the "I'll be back" achievement in Double Dragon Trilogy for the IOS.

Regarding Jeff, this may be getting a bit abstract, but it is possible that Jeff, as the "fake" immitator of Spike and Hammer, could be a reference to legendary fight coreographer . Jeff Imada did not have any known direct connection with Bruce Lee, other than through Brandon Lee, but may have been seen by Kishimoto as trying to profit from a "knockoff" of Bruce Lee's patented technique.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm 
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:17 pm 
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:33 am 
Red Belt

I have never seen that surname used, in any official Double Dragon game, manual, or media.

Until I do, I won't regard it as canon.

___

More namey goodness:

Guiliano: I recently re-watched "Way of the Dragon". Appropriately enough, Guiliano is a reference to the movie's Italian setting (which, like the Italian mission in DD3, culminated in a showdown in the Colliseum).

Towards the very beginning, when Nora Miao is walking Bruce Lee to the bank, they pass in front of the "GUILIANI CAFFE".

For those that have the DVD, you can see this at 00:15:28 - note that this is the full movie though, not the version trimmed for Western Audiences.

Which leaves us with the Return / Super characters, Jackson, McGuire and Duke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 pm 
Black Belt

As to the arcade version of DD3- I'm curious, has this improved anyone's opinion of the game? It appears a lot of these characters' names are very clever references. Therefore, it would seem that if at least some of them are intentional, the developers did put some thought into the game rather than it being the "rush job" a lot of people think it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:40 pm 
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:40 pm 
Black Belt

Wow! Great post so far guys. Most of those references seem pretty accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 pm 
Black Belt