Machines that Double Dragon never appeared on...

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Steve Halfpenny

Machines that Double Dragon never appeared on...

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

In my old age, and thanks to people like Swainy, I have becoming increasingly interested in what wasn't rather than what was. With this in mind, what machines, that never got a Double Dragon game, would you like to see Double Dragon on? I don't mean a new game or emulated classic for current generation consoles, I'm talking about (older?) machines with their technical limitations. Those where there was a point in history when DD could have feasibly appeared on (it did appear on just about everything after all). I think the obvious one would be the Sharp X68000 but then this isn't too interesting as a near arcade perfect conversion would have been the order of the day (random thought - did DD ever appear on any of the Japanese computers?). Now for the not so obvious...

Vetrex

3D vector graphics, bab-ey! I wouldn't expect a straight port here, an interpretation would probably be best. Your character graphics would no doubt get lost amongst a complicated background so simplification is probably required. I love the speed this thing runs at though and am convinced it could work. However, two players? Yeah, sure, why not?!

ColecoVision

A more obvious one but a DD on the ColecoVision would have probably bridged the gap between the 2600 and NES versions. I reckon it could be quite good too.

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Now you're talking! SNK's ace 1999 handheld games had their own unique take on the 'real' things; for example the King of Fighters series uses deformed 'cutesy' like designs instead of a more 'realistic' look (think Gem Fighter). With way too many one on one games to mention, a Double Dragon style game would have been a refreshing change.

Anyone else have any other ideas? Maybe we can try and get a few mock ups to make this more interesting!

Disclaimer - Screenshots shamefully stolen from various sites...
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Re: Machines that Double Dragon never appeared on...

Post by DojoMaster »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:Disclaimer - Screenshots shamefully stolen from various sites...

Indeed. Looks like they foresaw your pilfering and adopted some anti-theft measures.

Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

I think it's a shame that the PC Engine didn't get a port of the original. I would have like to have seen a conversion on that.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

DojoMaster wrote:
Steve Halfpenny wrote:Disclaimer - Screenshots shamefully stolen from various sites...

Indeed. Looks like they foresaw your pilfering and adopted some anti-theft measures.

Hahahaha!

Geez, it's only a forum. You'd think they wouldn't mind. All I wanted was typical examples of what was on those machines.

Swainy, that was one of the first things I thought of. I bet you'd have got a nice little remix on that system, much like DD2.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:(random thought - did DD ever appear on any of the Japanese computers?). Now for the not so obvious...

No. Double Dragon only came out for the following platforms in Japan.

Arcade (I, II, III, Neo-Geo)
Family Computer (I, II, III)
Game Boy (I only, II was actually a Kunio-kun game)
Super Famicom (Return)
Mark III (I)
Mega Drive (II)
PC Engine (II)
Neo-Geo (in cartridge and CD-ROM formats)
PlayStation (NG)
Game Boy Advance (Advance)
Xbox 360 (I via Xbox Live Arcade)
Wii (I via Virtual Console)

There was also a recent re-release of the first two Famicom games in some sort pay-to-download service. It makes me wonder why they haven't released DD2 for the Virtual Console.
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting