Your ideal Double Dragon Sequel

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Re: Your ideal Double Dragon Sequel

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Billy Lee, now I get your point.
Yeah it would be great a DD game with that system. I don't know how is the action while playing, but looks nice. My perception could change when trying it.

remember the Chen guys from SDD? sometimes when you kick them they grab your leg and throw you. Something like that would be cool on 2d and 3d
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

A counter to the counter system (like Shenmue) would be really good for a 3d DD game. If the Chens grab your foot you can have a small window to counter that with a second attack, which Chen may counter at random etc...
May you live hapilly forever...
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

I'm glad I was able to bring this up to you guys. Double Dragon had a lot to do with those games. The initial outfit that Wang wear in Sleeping Dogs is a blue jacket with blue jeans actually. Even Ryo is somewhat similar to Billy. I'm not saying that they developers were trying to pay homage to Double Dragon, but at the same time I'm sure they thought about the game when making theirs. The fighting system was basically an updated version of what a beat em up should be. Shenmue felt like a DD/Virtual Fighter mixed in some ways because Sega created it, but it felt like a good RPG/Beat em up.

Now as far as the Chen guys from Super DD, that is the perfect example of making a counter system for both players and skilled opponents.

Right now, Double Dragon has a base for a full scale 3D games, because we have seen the major components in their 2D games.

- Diverse Enemies (Check): Each Double Dragon games has a ton of memorable enemies with a great personality that they can translate into a full story.

- Fighting: Super Double Dragon and DD Advance both had great fighting systems. It this point it just comes down to expanding on it. Like Sleeping Dogs, I would recommended using environmental attacks in a DD game as well since you are on the streets.

- Feel: Double Dragon's problem is that when you constantly remake the game, its changes the tone and feel of the game. Sometimes for the better, but at the same time we get a bad remake like Neon and Wanderer. What it needs is for a developer to say this is what the game should feel like. Either they make a game with a darker feel like Super DD and DDII, semi-dark like DD Advanced, or lighter like DD IOS. I didn't mention Neon and Wanderer because... well you know. Still it needs a good base as far as a permanent design and look.

- Story: You can actually take the Double Dragon story and make it deeper. You can have actions that lead up to the events. You can add new characters to it. Basically when making a new game, you can expand and change the story as long as long as the heroes and villains feel the same.

-Additional elements: Like Shenmue and Sleeping Dogs, Double Dragon has to become more than just a beat em up especially if it became a lengthy game. Do you add sneaking up on enemies and quietly taking them out like Batman and The Last of Us? Do they add the button timing sequences like Shenmue? Or do they go open world and perform missions and tasks like Sleeping Dogs. One thing Double Dragon can do that these games haven't done yet is add an online multi player to the story and make it work. Imagine working together to beat a mission or having to split up in order to catch a couple of villains. I would also add the pitfall and traps to this game as well. This could be their selling point.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Billy Lee wrote:I'm glad I was able to bring this up to you guys. Double Dragon had a lot to do with those games. The initial outfit that Wang wear in Sleeping Dogs is a blue jacket with blue jeans actually. Even Ryo is somewhat similar to Billy. I'm not saying that they developers were trying to pay homage to Double Dragon, but at the same time I'm sure they thought about the game when making theirs. The fighting system was basically an updated version of what a beat em up should be. Shenmue felt like a DD/Virtual Fighter mixed in some ways because Sega created it, but it felt like a good RPG/Beat em up.

Now as far as the Chen guys from Super DD, that is the perfect example of making a counter system for both players and skilled opponents.

Right now, Double Dragon has a base for a full scale 3D games, because we have seen the major components in their 2D games.

- Diverse Enemies (Check): Each Double Dragon games has a ton of memorable enemies with a great personality that they can translate into a full story.

- Fighting: Super Double Dragon and DD Advance both had great fighting systems. It this point it just comes down to expanding on it. Like Sleeping Dogs, I would recommended using environmental attacks in a DD game as well since you are on the streets.

- Feel: Double Dragon's problem is that when you constantly remake the game, its changes the tone and feel of the game. Sometimes for the better, but at the same time we get a bad remake like Neon and Wanderer. What it needs is for a developer to say this is what the game should feel like. Either they make a game with a darker feel like Super DD and DDII, semi-dark like DD Advanced, or lighter like DD IOS. I didn't mention Neon and Wanderer because... well you know. Still it needs a good base as far as a permanent design and look.

- Story: You can actually take the Double Dragon story and make it deeper. You can have actions that lead up to the events. You can add new characters to it. Basically when making a new game, you can expand and change the story as long as long as the heroes and villains feel the same.

-Additional elements: Like Shenmue and Sleeping Dogs, Double Dragon has to become more than just a beat em up especially if it became a lengthy game. Do you add sneaking up on enemies and quietly taking them out like Batman and The Last of Us? Do they add the button timing sequences like Shenmue? Or do they go open world and perform missions and tasks like Sleeping Dogs. One thing Double Dragon can do that these games haven't done yet is add an online multi player to the story and make it work. Imagine working together to beat a mission or having to split up in order to catch a couple of villains. I would also add the pitfall and traps to this game as well. This could be their selling point.

All good points- but for me at least the feel is the most critical component. I'm still not sure this can be accurately recreated in 3d- but stealth elements don't seem consistent with the true DD feel. Online co op does sound interesting though...
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

It can be trust me. With Sleeping Dogs they actually went to Hong Kong and took a lot of pictures in different areas to make the feel of it. For Double Dragon you have to do the same thing. Sleeping Dogs made you feel they were on some dangerous streets in some areas. Double Dragon has the same concept feel-wise. Some darker slums areas along with a few nicer areas. Depending on how the story and city is set the more higher ranking Black Shadows Warriors would be in nicer areas like Steve and Duke were.

I actually thought about how to do the original Double Dragon one with a deeper story one day and came up with a way to possible incorporate it all together. Like Ninja Gaiden, they rehashed the story a little in order to give you a new Ninja Gaiden with an old Ninja Gaiden classic feel. The problem with people that try to make retro games is that the don't think of those elements.

Think about it, the reason why Neon and Wanderer failed was because they did truly think about how Double Dragon was supposed to feel and they were 2D/2.5D games. Regardless of how you make it the characters and setting must look and feel right. Double Dragon Neon was too colorful and wacky to be a Double Dragon game. It had the classic 2D format, but the design was all wrong along with the way enemies took hit.

Stealth isn't needed at least in a Batman type of way. However I think it would be fun to sneak up on a single enemy and kill them. It won't work in groups which most will be in.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

Billy Lee wrote:
Stealth isn't needed at least in a Batman type of way. However I think it would be fun to sneak up on a single enemy and kill them. It won't work in groups which most will be in.

it would be cool on "invade the enemy base"
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Yeah on certain points. You can always do like some games and mix it up. Some you have to be stealth in order to get past an area whereas others you must straight battle. Like I said its a variety of ways on expanding Double Dragon.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

I'd like to see how this was actually applied, but I suppose it could work if it was implemented just right...
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

It depends on the story and stage for it to work.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

What did you have in mind?