Double Dragon 2 Remake?

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon 2 Remake?

Post by mechapop »

Oh an SNK styled DD would look amazing. I actually like that look more than the cel shaded and cluttered Arc Systems BLAZBLUE type of style.

It's funny...Taito released the DD games in America. Technos Japan had some third party make DD3 in 1990 completely based off of Konami's 1989 Crime Fighters
instead of continuing the beautiful DD1/DD2 look. Now if they had waited just one or two years, this would have been what DD3 would have looked like.

That's Silent Dragon by Taito(1992 Arcade) Now, again not the most amazing graphics but it certainly looks and plays better than that dreck that turned out
to be DD3 for the arcade.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Sadly DD3 was worse than Crime Fighters and that’s not to say Crime Fighters was great. It was an okay game but I wish they waited those two years. If Double Dragon would have transitioned into the Silent Dragon route, then it would have been a great sequel which was especially important since Final Fight and Street of Rage rose in the Beat em up genre.
Dan Druff
Purple Belt

Post by Dan Druff »

Billy Lee wrote:Now for a system such as 360/PS3 or Nex Gen if we were to go 2D or 2.5D, I would beef up the visuals to a level similar to KOF XIII.

Basically, King of Fighters took a hand drawn-type art style and made it into a high definition fighting game that not only looks beautiful, but plays like its predecessors. In fact, it plays a lot better. If you also notice the cut scenes (Or Winning Scenes. Heck even the interaction scenes.) are on par with the actual game play visually. This could easily be done for a beat em up like Double Dragon. Because of the strength of current and next gen systems, you can take the look of the cut scenes from DDi for instance, and build a beautiful looking Double Dragon game off of it like KOF XIII. Since it's a beat em up it would take a lot more work to craft and develop stages, but in the end it would be worth it. This give hard core gamers the 2D Double Dragon game they crave, but it gives new gamers this fresh and beautiful visual game that should catch their attention.

Now obviously we still need our major elements to make it successful (Good artist, good concept for a series, its core, and a good game play system.), but I think this would be the best way to bring Double Dragon into the future. This would be a refreshing change of pace from the 3D renders of Double Dragon Neon and DD2 remake. Even if the stages were somewhat 3D, just having this mix would still be awesome.

And hopefully we can get some online co-op as well. As far as the fighting system, they should try to improve on either the Super Double Dragon, Double Dragon Advance of Double Dragon Iphone system.

I don't want to nitpick, but those are clearly not screenshots from King of Fighters XIII. Those are in fact screenshots from King of Fighters XII, which players don't want to remember because it was so bad. King of Fighters XIII is considered the true sequel to King of Fighters XI while King of Fighters XII never existed.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Billy Lee wrote:Sadly DD3 was worse than Crime Fighters and that’s not to say Crime Fighters was great. It was an okay game but I wish they waited those two years. If Double Dragon would have transitioned into the Silent Dragon route, then it would have been a great sequel which was especially important since Final Fight and Street of Rage rose in the Beat em up genre.

Crime Fighters 2 (released as Vendetta outside Japan) was an excellent arcade beatemup, although still not on the level of the first two Double Dragon games. I think we can all agree that Wanderer of Dragons is the absolute most perfect example of how NOT to do a Double Dragon remake.
May you live hapilly forever...
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Dan Druff wrote:
Billy Lee wrote:Now for a system such as 360/PS3 or Nex Gen if we were to go 2D or 2.5D, I would beef up the visuals to a level similar to KOF XIII.

Basically, King of Fighters took a hand drawn-type art style and made it into a high definition fighting game that not only looks beautiful, but plays like its predecessors. In fact, it plays a lot better. If you also notice the cut scenes (Or Winning Scenes. Heck even the interaction scenes.) are on par with the actual game play visually. This could easily be done for a beat em up like Double Dragon. Because of the strength of current and next gen systems, you can take the look of the cut scenes from DDi for instance, and build a beautiful looking Double Dragon game off of it like KOF XIII. Since it's a beat em up it would take a lot more work to craft and develop stages, but in the end it would be worth it. This give hard core gamers the 2D Double Dragon game they crave, but it gives new gamers this fresh and beautiful visual game that should catch their attention.

Now obviously we still need our major elements to make it successful (Good artist, good concept for a series, its core, and a good game play system.), but I think this would be the best way to bring Double Dragon into the future. This would be a refreshing change of pace from the 3D renders of Double Dragon Neon and DD2 remake. Even if the stages were somewhat 3D, just having this mix would still be awesome.

And hopefully we can get some online co-op as well. As far as the fighting system, they should try to improve on either the Super Double Dragon, Double Dragon Advance of Double Dragon Iphone system.

I don't want to nitpick, but those are clearly not screenshots from King of Fighters XIII. Those are in fact screenshots from King of Fighters XII, which players don't want to remember because it was so bad. King of Fighters XIII is considered the true sequel to King of Fighters XI while King of Fighters XII never existed.

True, I didn't pay attention when I posted the screens. I did it more for the art style of the game than anything else. I think from what they said KOF XII was pretty rushed which was the reason it was horrible. Still some of these screen shots looked better than the others in google search. I have KOF XIII, but sadly I haven't been able to play it that much. After I beat it with Terry, Joe, and Andy I have barely played it. Like I said, my purpose was to use the King of Fighters art-style as a prime example of what would make a great look for a new Double Dragon game. Sorry for the mix up guys.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

So any chance the team who made the Brazillian DD/DDiphone might make a sequel? Or were sales just that lackluster?
My one regret is that you have to use the digital controls of a smart phone(Ive never been much of a smartphone gamer...talk about finger screen burn)
I wish that they coulda released DDi for the Wiware or dsiware or something involving actual controls.

Now a mystery I've long pondered...

1) When they were in the planning stages of the 1995 Double Dragon Neo Geo fighter, was there any consideration of making it a side scroller beat em up?
Or was the post SFII era just too strong?

2) How come none of the DD fan games have used DD NG 95 sprites or backgrounds?

3) Why was this a movie tie in? The movie came out a year prior, flopped and most DD fans I know can't even stand the movie. To me it makes Super Mario movie feel like Blade Runner.

Call me crazy, but I love these graphics. And I only wish this had been a side scroller(oh, what could have been!) Anyone else really dig this style?

As much as like everyone else, I am partial the 1987/1988 Technos Japan style of Double Dragon sprites. But I realize that unlike Kunio Kun's Chibi series, no way they would have continued to stick
with that graphical style.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Well, I don’t know about the sales, but I know IGN didn’t give DDi a great review because the virtual controls were horrible. They said it would have been a good game the controls were better and didn’t cover a third of the screen. Other reviews called it decent I think, but Ign is one of the bigger gaming sites. Personally, I didn’t have a huge gripe about the controls; they play decent for a virtual keypad. As far as sales, unless it’s a breakout game like Angry Birds, usually most cell phone games get lost in the shuffle. DDi probably had decent to good sales, but not enough to make it a front runner.

I think Neo Geo got caught up in the SFII era, but the DD franchise itself did before Neo Geo took over when they released DDV. I feel Neo Geo had its own twist and they wanted to make DD a fighter as well. It was a good fighter and because of that they released Rage of the Dragons.

I’m sure they thought of making it a beat em up at one point, but they might have felt they would have gotten more out of it making it a fighter due to fighting games success at that time.

As far as the sprites, I completely agree with you. I really do like those sprites. I felt at that time if SNK did a new DD beat em up, those sprites would have been new and refreshing. They look more modern and would have been a good look for Billy and Jimmy. I thought I was the only one who liked it to be honest. I think what hurt it in everyone’s opinion was that it was linked to the movie and that’s probably what killed it. I’m not a fan of the transformation sprites because it’s too close to the movie but the regular sprites are just fine. Hopefully we will see more fan games with those sprites or the Rage of the Dragon sprites but no you’re not crazy. I also think people don’t want Double Dragon to lose its classic feel as well. At the same time, they would have had to eventually change it.
Die_In_Fire
Red Belt

Post by Die_In_Fire »

I beg to disagree, I like the Neo Geo sprites, and it is a realy good fighting game, but for me is just not DD, the Billy sprites looks too teenagerish for my taste, not the bad ass Kenshiro-like.

I think the Neo Geo version was thought to be a fighting game from the beginning. SNK did other beat'em ups at the time as the Sengoku series, take a look specially at Sengoku 2 (my fave from the series, just the beginning of the game will surprise you!) so if a DD beat'em up would been developed for the Neo Geo, it will probably have some gameplay similar to that series (without the character transformation of course):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpCIsPvksXQ

2) How come none of the DD fan games have used DD NG 95 sprites or backgrounds?

Well, there are fangames, just look for Double Dragon Unlimited OBOR mod by Ikaruga. It's about 5 years old and have basic gameplay, but a nice trip though. Also he made one with Rage of the Dragon sprites.

ohhh and going back on topic, I would really love to see a DD game with the graphic style of KOFXII or XIII !!!!!

PS: Forgot Double Dragon Zero by Ikaruga
Last edited by Die_In_Fire on Mon May 06, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
check my WIPs (Double Dragon and Kunio-kun stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/DieInFire
てめえっ! なめんなよ!!!
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Maybe it's just me, but it actually seemed like at the tail end of the beat 'em up age, transitioning into the one-on-one fighter, several beat 'em up games were adding complex move/combo systems that were similar to one-on-one fighters, and some even added RPG elements to the mix. Streets of Rage 3 and Guardian Heroes come to mind.

One of the best things about the DD series is how much fun they were to play despite their relative simplicity. Most of the "good" later generation DD games (DDA, DDI, etc) preserved the simple gameplay while adding varying elements of complexity. I don't see how a the move/combo system of a one-on-one fighter like Rage of the Dragons could be translated into a beat 'em up with any panache.
May you live hapilly forever...
Dan Druff
Purple Belt

Post by Dan Druff »

http://youtu.be/TE4l2jwyn4U
I think Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist on PSP has fighting game sensibilities. You can almost play the game like a one-on-one fighter and realize that strategies are similar. The trend in fighting games is the long combo, which can certainly be done in this game.