Who Here Remembers the 1988 Arcade Game "Rad Punx"?

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Who Here Remembers the 1988 Arcade Game "Rad Punx"?

Post by mechapop »

Was working on some concept art to submit to the Bad Dudes 2 crew, but ended up making a whole spoof of the original Bad Dudes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwbLt_xnLQ
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Play2win
Black Belt

Re: Who Here Remembers the 1988 Arcade Game "Rad Punx"?

Post by Play2win »

Just found the youtube video. Looks interesting- did this actually exist in 1988?
May you live hapilly forever...
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

Play2win wrote:Just found the youtube video. Looks interesting- did this actually exist in 1988?

Yes, it really did exist! It was a rare exclusive port on the Atari Amstrad upgrade for the Bulgarian version of the Famicom. Every once in a blue moon, floppies of this will show up on ebay, pullling in sick, SICK prices!

I remember when I was a kid, all of my friends would talk about this rumor that if you killed Car-nuff, the first boss, with only pickle shurikens without getting hit, and ducked 364 times over his face if you happened to kill him in front of the mail box, you would open up the secret Statue of Liberty stage. And, if you were able to defeat all the enemies on that stage without losing the sausage links weapon, and impaled the boss on the 3rd spike of liberties crown, have both players hold select, and hit reset 13 times, you would unlock the hidden character: Presidente Ray-gun. Supposedly, he has unlimited burgers, has maxed out power, speed, etc. and shoots screen clearing nukes as his special attack.

I remember seeing an old Beta tape that my Uncle recorded, where he was able to pull this very trick off! The only problem is that the game gets extremely buggy, and has a tendency to crash when you beat the Iron Ayatollah of Rock-en-Rollah.

....anyone else remember this? I'm so pumped that this has resurfaced on Youtube!!!
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

Wow- I'll have to watch for this on eBay!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Did another game parody, this time of Mortal Kombat II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tuzf5sLaqE

Also in this episode I do, halfway through is my spoof of Final Fight and NARC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5I_WBxnEg

And toward the end of this episode I do a spoof of Nintendo Game+Watch games and Smash TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy74nNw-xPk

Play2win wrote:Just found the youtube video. Looks interesting- did this actually exist in 1988?

In some sort of alternate dimension version of 1988:)
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

MysteriousWarrior wrote:

Yes, it really did exist! It was a rare exclusive port on the Atari Amstrad upgrade for the Bulgarian version of the Famicom. Every once in a blue moon, floppies of this will show up on ebay, pullling in sick, SICK prices!

I remember when I was a kid, all of my friends would talk about this rumor that if you killed Car-nuff, the first boss, with only pickle shurikens without getting hit, and ducked 364 times over his face if you happened to kill him in front of the mail box, you would open up the secret Statue of Liberty stage. And, if you were able to defeat all the enemies on that stage without losing the sausage links weapon, and impaled the boss on the 3rd spike of liberties crown, have both players hold select, and hit reset 13 times, you would unlock the hidden character: Presidente Ray-gun. Supposedly, he has unlimited burgers, has maxed out power, speed, etc. and shoots screen clearing nukes as his special attack.

I remember seeing an old Beta tape that my Uncle recorded, where he was able to pull this very trick off! The only problem is that the game gets extremely buggy, and has a tendency to crash when you beat the Iron Ayatollah of Rock-en-Rollah.

....anyone else remember this? I'm so pumped that this has resurfaced on Youtube!!!

*seriously lol*

I remember when Rad Punx existed only as some blurry screenshot in a magazine. Wasn't until 2006 when someone uploaded a low res version of a Japanese trade show vhs that it was confirmed, followed by the rom leaking online in 2008.

As far as that "code"...that may have been a rumor, to be honest. Submitted by some kid to Video Game Computer Quarterly's Magazine back in 1989. Though, I swear there really is a -14h7b level of Super Mario Bros for the NES.
Play2win
Black Belt

Post by Play2win »

This game looks so cool its not even funny...
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Play2win wrote:This game looks so cool its not even funny...

Thanks! I have a lot of fun doing parody spoofs of late 80s and early 90s games. So far they're just goofy little animations but I would love to learn coding so I can make some of these games. Side scrolling brawlers, oddball fighting games, platformers, side-scrollers. I think with the downloadable content/app market, there's an audience for retro styled games.
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru