What would like to see in a new Double Dragon game?

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Billy Lee
Black Belt

Re: What would like to see in a new Double Dragon game?

Post by Billy Lee »

Yeah, I agree that Double Dragon should use a formula similar to DMC, Ninja Gaiden (Weapon-wise), or Arkham Asylum. I wanted to find potential in DD Neon, but as you mentioned, it’s hard to. I wanted to like it, but some things went too far left field and because of its antics, it takes away from its seriousness.
I have seen all of the Ong-Bak movies, and like you said that scene would be ideal for a good fight against the Abobos.
And like you said, it needs to have a darker feel to. I wish I could find some better scenes of Raid Redemption (Trust me, it’s one of the best action movies since Ong-Bak if you watch the whole thing.), but this is all I found because the movie is currently doing well in its selected theaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGVT67dme6M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYsVqpiEa4&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1UuZL8wfPA&feature=related

I like this because it shows a great feel and darkness. I also like how it incorporates a full balance of martial arts with the initiative of street fighting. I feel that they should use the environment to their advantage.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I wasn't aware of The Raid. Looks like a pretty kick-ass movie. Thanks for the recommendation.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Yeah. If you watch it you won't be disappointed. It's basically the next Ong-Bak as far as excitement.
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

I would like to see something kinda like what brizo has done with their version of double dragon. adding on to the formula that was given from the Double Dragon Advanced game and making it better. ok so the older dd's had interactive stages, you could climb ladders and chain linked fences, the conveyer belt in stage 2 needs to be put back in the game it just doent feel right not being able to throw a enemy on it or being a daredevil and fighting on it. The cut scenes need to come back i dont mind the talking scenes that are there in the iphone remake but i would like to see some artwork and dialog after missions building up the story, sort of like how DDA did it and how SDD was gonna do it. The moves, every move should be there from DDA that they missed including the ability to counter your opponents attack with the block button but with SDD type execution not just a throw. I would love to see some double team moves that could be pulled off in co-op mode not just holding a williams so the other can tag him up but something that billy and jimmy can do together. Villians from a mission should have their own individual fighting styles. for example maybe chin taimei should have a capoeria fighting style and his goons under him fight like him but less threatening. I totally think the timed platforming from dd2 should make a return. I always loved the nes version of the game for having those trap levels in the later part of the missions, it gave it more of a challenging aspect. same for DD1 on the nes like in some stages if you didnt walk in certain doors you were doomed to reloop that part of the stage if you just kept walking straight. getting to willy's hideout shouldnt just be some walk in the park. Alternate route's would be nice too deciding on which way you go through the stage, a different outcome would come about at the boss. The weapons, again everything should be there from the past games bo staff, nunchuks, tonfu, etc but with more ability's to use them not just the regular 1.2.3 power hit scenario but numerous ways to switch it up a bit. I might be getting off track here but maybe some type of clothing option where you can switch up the clothing of the character your using or the ability to switch the color your wearing? I think the versus mode should come back as well but make it so it works with the regular game as well, so you dont have to switch up the gameplay maybe a block and grab option might help that out? i like how DDA had those stances when you stood still for a bit or after you performed a roundhouse kick that would be cool to get back, taunting is always fun. I know there is a million other things that i could think of but thats just a lil bit of what i would like to see.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

You had a lot of good ideas. I would like to see DD Advance in a more 3D version. The elements such as ladders conveyer belts and chain length fences should be a part of the game and you should be able to use it against your enemies as well as your enemies using it against you. As far as cut scenes, I would prefer the full cinematic scene for the game. As far as counters, they need to be an essential part of the game to add more depth. They should have a series of counters depending on the situation and there should also be team moves not only for the Double Dragons, but for the villains as well. The Ong-Bak clip is a perfect example. Linda could grab one of the dragons by the neck with her whip, hoist him over a ledge to prop them up, and Abobo could charge at them and send them crashing through the floor or a wall. Each enemy should have some individual special traits as well as unique team techniques. Also, I like for every fighter to have some kind of skill level. Like you said, if Chin is the most skilled, then his warriors should be weaker. As far as Willy’s hideout, I think in a 3D game, it would be a nice option to either go through the front door or find a secret way in.
I’m definitely a fan of the weapon option. I feel they should have a specialty as far as using certain weapons. Like if Billy uses nunchucks, he should have additional special moves that he can utilize that Jimmy doesn’t have, but if Jimmy uses a staff, he should have some additional moves that Billy won’t have. Also, I agree with having different clothing options. Depending on you’re the area you are in, you should have the option to buy additional outfits. As far as versus, I like it for big one on one and two on two battles, I feel that would work out well. Maybe an additional mode for it would be an awesome idea too.
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

yea billy lee i totally agree with you on everything you said they should definetly emphasize on the differences between billy and jimmy. i also want to see the backstory for jeff betraying the dragon dojo even though its not a big deal but still he was a boss in dd1. i want to see more fight scenes on roof tops as well.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

RenegadeDragon wrote:i also want to see the backstory for jeff betraying the dragon dojo even though its not a big deal but still he was a boss in dd1.

Technically, Jeff was never a student of the Dragon Dojo. While his moves are the same as the Lees', his style in the DD canon is described as Karate, not Sou Setsu Ken.

Or are you suggesting that the character be revamped, with a new backstory?
Last edited by Eddie MountainGoat on Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RenegadeDragon
Purple Belt

Post by RenegadeDragon »

hmm i never knew that. i thought he was a student of billy and jimmy? either way that would be a pretty good back story maybe he could be the reason why marian get's kidnapped as well.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

I think Jeff should be a part of the Dragons during the younger years. Depending on the story line, maybe he betrayed Billy before the events of Double Dragon 1. Jeff could have started out good, but eventually he wanted money and power and was influenced by Willy to stand as one of his lieutenants. And yeah, because he knew Billy, he knew about their lives, and because of that, he knew exactly when to kidnap Marion.

At least this would be a good idea for a revamped version.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Billy Lee wrote:I think Jeff should be a part of the Dragons during the younger years.

That actually sounds similar to Duke's original concept. You can read about it, including some planned dialogue between Duke and Billy, at the Dojo's "Return of/Super Double Dragon: The True Story" page.

Still, here's the relevant intro:
For the last boss, Duke, he was originally part of another pair of "Double Dragon" twins who were also Sou-Setsu-Ken masters and partners who you would've fought in the original draft. Duke and his brother were childhood friends and former training partners of the Lee brothers