Original Sound of Double Dragon

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Jonny2x4

Original Sound of Double Dragon

Post by Jonny2x4 »

The following is my translation of Yoshihisa Kishimoto's commentary on the development of the arcade version of Double Dragon as featured on the liner notes of Apollon's Double Dragon soundtrack album. I actually saw a transcription of the Kishimoto's commentary years ago on Game Kommander's website, but never gave ir much importance since it didn't have that much information about the game's actual development (it's also been posted on Kishimoto's own website). But still, it does give some insight on how Double Dragon (and Kishimoto himself) was influenced by Bruce Lee and on how video games differ from movies.

Double Dragon is a violent martial arts action game that can be fought together by up to two players. The game's logo is composed of three kanji characters.

双 (Sō) = A pair, as in a pair of twin brothers.
截 (Setsu) = In Chinese, it means to "strike" and "kick".
龍 (Ryū) = A so-called Eastern dragon.

I began planning Double Dragon on the July of the previous year (1986). I think it was the 20th. July 20 was the day that Bruce Lee, one of my idols, died. It has already been more than a decade since he has left the world. When I was younger I wanted to become as strong as Bruce Lee... At least I think I did.

As time went by, I wondered what kind of product Bruce Lee would have made if he was still alive and what kind of actions he would've thought of. I now work as a game planner and director. Even though the development of a game is similar that of a film production, the mentality involved is quite different. A film is an objective representation meant to impress the viewer. The viewer envisions him or herself as the protagonist. In contrast, the world of a game is about subjective representation. The player controls the protagonist in an already established world. The way the protagonist behaves in that world and how the story unfolds depends on how the game is played. Will the player get a happy ending? Or will our hero be defeated on his journey...?

Double Dragon was a game that not only aimed at being the top fighting game, but was produced as if it was a film that has fully inherited Bruce Lee's intentions. The game's development lasted over ten months. We worked overnight almost every day, which drove some of the staff members insane, jeopardizing the game's completion. I'm extremely grateful to everyone who worked with me on the project.

Director Yoshihisa Kishimoto (岸本 良久), 1987

P.S. The following were the main members of the Double Dragon development team. Everything was made possible thanks to them. Now I want all of their full cooperation and teamwork once again to bring out another No. 1 hit.

Character Designer: Koji Ogata (緒方 孝治)
Background Designers: Shin'ichi Saito (斎藤 伸一), Koji Kai (甲斐 浩二)
Supporting Designers: Kumiko Mukai (向井 久美子), Miza Yazaki (矢崎 美佐), Misae Nakaya (中谷 みさえ), Akemi Tasaki (田崎 明美)
Music: Kazunaka Yamane (山根 一央)
Sound Effects: Ken'ichi Mori (森 賢一)
Programmers: Hiroshi Satoh (佐藤 博), Tomoyasu Koga (古賀 智康), Naritaka Nishimura (西村 成孝)
Engineer: Kenji Nishikawa (西川 健次)
Package Illustrator: Masao Shiroto (白戸 政男)

The liner notes also include story and character descriptions, but it looks like Apollon just took them from the Famicom version's brochure (from the pictures of the liner notes I've seen, they omitted the head-swapped bosses and included Chin, even though Chin was not in the arcade version of the first game), changing some of the text to reflect the fact that Jimmy is a good guy in the arcade version.
yuri10nou-img600x450-1329092838d0z1ma27170.jpg
yuri10nou-img600x450-1329092838d0z1ma27170.jpg (33.14 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
wildebeast
Black Belt

Re: Original Sound of Double Dragon

Post by wildebeast »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

wildebeast
Black Belt