Abobo study/sketch (Now with Burnov,Chin,Abore, and Willy!)

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Abobo study/sketch (Now with Burnov,Chin,Abore, and Willy!)

Post by MysteriousWarrior »

With the inclusion of this latest installment of the Double Dragon series on the iphone, my normal level of "Double Dragon mania" has reached a fever pitch. So, I felt the need to express this mania, and do a quick little study of the most recognizable and iconic of the Black Warriors.

I really tried to make this rough sketch look how I would like an HD sprite of Abobo look. I infused as much of the classic arcade and nes look into this stylized anatomic design. I also tried to loosely follow classic arcade proportions, except the head is a bit smaller in proportion on my sketch.

I really wanted him to look intense, and aggressive in his posture. I also wanted to accentuate a rather bulldog-ish face, and even added a flattened pugilist nose that really seemed to fit well. I only left an outline of a mangy beard in order to still see detail underneath in case I would want to make an alternate design.

As you can tell by my eraser marks, I had a little bit of trouble setting his legs in for a good stance. :)

Maybe if I can find the time, and get my scanner working (had to use my camera for this, hence the poor quality), I can do some further work on this.
Last edited by MysteriousWarrior on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Re: Abobo study/sketch

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Good stuff!

I really like how you've kept it reminiscent enough of the original design, while also infusing a new look into it.

Are you going to be doing any other characters?
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Re: Abobo study/sketch

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:Good stuff!

I really like how you've kept it reminiscent enough of the original design, while also infusing a new look into it.

Are you going to be doing any other characters?

Thanks Eddie, and I'm glad you asked:

Next up we have Burnov:

As you can see, I followed the new DDi design quite a bit while taking a few liberties of my own with the armor in order to try and streamline the look. I noticed in the new iphone game that Burnov didn't have any straps on his classic mask to hold it to his face, so I added bolts to my design, as if it were bolted to his skull. I also added his new DDi mask, even though it is an obvious rip off of the Castle Crashers barbarian mask, I still like it. For whatever reason, his look and posture reminds me a lot of a Paul Robertson design.

Then next we have Chin:

This one is pretty straight forward, just basic Nes DD1 Chin. I just made his hair a little more wild than in his DDi incarnation, and tried to give him a stance that fit his style.

Next up is a character that really deserves to be brought back. All the way back from DD2, we have Abore:

I took quite a bit of liberties with this one. I gave him a full suit instead of the classic white shirt and suspenders. I also made him less dumpy looking while keeping him just massive overall. I didn't add shades to him, and I could go either way with that. If you notice a bit of a Andre the giant/ Andore from Final Fight & SF3 influence in there, you are correct. Abore was actually the first Andre rip off character before Andore (which is pronounced AN-DOH-RAY btw, meaning Abore would be pronounced AH-BOH-RAY).
If you play Technos' first WWF game, the sprites for Andre the giant are identical to Abore's, except for attire and hair.

And Finally, we have Machine Gun Willy himself:

With this one, I really let the Hokuto No Ken influences shine through. I gave him two shoulder pads (with fur, which just felt right), which just makes sense for a 2d sprite anyway. I really tried to maintain his classic arcade face and hair, but added a full beard (normally it's just stubble on his face). I also chose an AK 47 for his machine gun. I wanted him to look just as at home fighting Mad Max, as he does the Double Dragons.

Also, when I drew these, I drew them all to scale with one another:

Anyway, this has been a fun little distraction for me, and perhaps I'll add some new characters into the mix.
mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Abobo study/sketch (Now with Burnov,Chin,Abore, and Will

Post by mechapop »

Amazing! Especially Abobo and Willy. Been wanting to see some good new DD fanart. And Abore, man...I was just thinking how he needs to be brought back. Burnov has been a main
DD baddie for so long(DD2, DD NG, DDA, DDi, etc) that I'd love to see others resurrected. Good call!

If I may, I even see a slight Capcom Street Fighter influence in the art. Would be cool to eventually see a new Vs Fighter someday perhaps. (I feel like Im one of the few people who loves the NG DD game)

I was actually thinking of doing my own DD fanart, but more based on what I imagine stages in a DD game would look like had proper sequels came to arcades in the 93-95 period.

Also, anyone know of other good DD fanart?

Only one I know of is this one:

(which seems to be a riff on that obscure DD2 phone card image from Japan that also had chibi V'Ball characters)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Thanks Mechapop, Abobo and Willy are my favorites so far as well.

As for there being a Capcom influence in these, I would be lying if I said there wasn't (my favorite Capcom illustrators are Kinu, and AKIMAN). Although there is also quite a bit of SNK (hiroaki in particular), Hokuto no ken, and Tetsuya Terrada influence in these as well.

I've been thinking of doing some stage illustrations as well. The multi-plane platforming stages of DD (especially DD2 for NES) is what truly sets it apart from any other beat 'em up. I think of how much fun it would be to create dynamic environments complete with pits, traps, ladders, etc, etc.

Also, I have decided to try my hand at some paint apps on Abobo. It is my first time using an illustration app to paint (I'm mainly a 3d artist). After watching a couple online tutorials, I decided to give Gimp a spin. All in all, I think I did an okay job on coloring the face so far, but it isn't exactly the style I was initially going for. perhaps with some more practice, I will improve my skills.

Definitely still a WIP, I don't love it so far, but I don't hate it. At least it gives a decent idea of where this could go with a little more time as my paint skills improve.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Oh yeah, the SNK official art is amazing. I also remember pouring through that Udon Street Fighter/Capcom art books, so crazy. I've seen a LOT of great SNK and Capcom art from Korean illustrators too.

Your coloring so far reminds me a bit of the style seen on the DDi painted characters and a bit of the older official SNK fighter look(which oddly enough became the basis for the MVC3 ingame look, as well as the cover for Final Fight One gba)

Yeah I remember NES versions always seeming to be "less than" the arcades in terms of graphics and color. Bad Dudes, NARC, etc...but there was something just awe striking about the level layout and colors in DD2 for the NES. The use of deep purples, green, gold, yellows...I dare say, in some way it even looked a bit 16-bit. I remember being in love with DD2 arcade simply for the fact it was a sequel, yet it definitely felt like simply the same exact game with new palette swaps. DD2, as hard as it gets in the later levels, felt more like a proper sequel(I think that Nintendo Pocket magazine that you got when you saw The Wizard was the first time I even saw glimpses of the game)
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Yeah, the SNK illustrator you are thinking of is Shinkiro. He was the main KOF illustrator throughout the 90s, and began doing illustration for Capcom after Capcom vs. SNK. I like his new vector style art in recent years (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and Capcom fighting jam) much more so than his proto metrosexual, mascara wearing fighter look from the 90s. As for the art direction of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I believe they were trying to go for a hybrid of western comic art with Capcom style illustration. Aside from the promotional poster art Shinkiro did for MvC3, the character art itself is quite different from his if you look closely.

The stages of DD2 NES were easily among the best in the series. With it's nonlinear paths, platforming elements, and creative traps, it made the game feel like a real adventure as well as one of the best beat 'em ups to ever come to consoles.

'The Wizard', lol.

Also, I had some time to practice my painting of Abobo:

I think I am starting to get the hang of this a little bit more now, and feel more confident that this could turn into a decent illustration. I may not be able to work on this for a little while though, as I have a more pressing project with a tight deadline ahead. I promise to add more updates when I get more time on this.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Man, your sketches are absolutely awesome and you should be helping to make a new DD game now! I don't think I've seen a more accurate sketch that brings all that was good about the original design. The non-pupil eyes and stuff really make it.

Heck, if Capcom see those, you'll have a job in no time. ;)
Swainy
Brown Belt

Post by Swainy »

Yeah I agree, you really have captured the look of the original design there. Top stuff!
MysteriousWarrior
Purple Belt

Thanks guys! If I knew how to code, I would totally be at work on a fan made DD game right now (copy right issues be damned). Although I can't do all that, I can certainly illustrate, and sprite as well. I just wish I had more time to devote to making more DD illustrations, and animations.

I think if Capcom hired me, I am pretty sure that Kinu Nishimura would kick my ass for ripping off her style so far, lol.

I also wanted to say that I have stolen a little time to update my Abobo paint up:

There is still a lot of work to do on this, but it's been a lot of fun. I will have more soon.