Double Dragon Zeebo!

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

mechapop
Red Belt

Re: Double Dragon Zeebo!

Post by mechapop »

I haven't played DDA since 2003; for some reason there was something about it that bugged me...it couldn't have been what I perceived to be muddier almost muted colors and graphics. But I liked how it was essentially a "remixed" game made a bit longer. Unlike DD1 and DD2, it wasn't one long map, but more levels.

For some reason I still really love SDD, just the epic feel of it and the colors perhaps. Anyways, can't wait to see what 2 player action looks like. I wonder if any other US DD fans have managed to get their hands on the Zeebo. I am tempted to call it an all out sequel. DD2 was pretty much a remake of DD1. This features so many new characters, styles, even levels that it feels more like a sequel(like say, a "DD5") than a mere remake or remix.

So I found a screenshot of what it looks like when it's all unlocked:

Of the 20 guys, the only ones I can positively identity are Billy, Jimmy, Abobo, Burnov and Willy. I don't see Linda there, but I think I saw her ingame.

Are one of those characters Steve? I liked how they turned Steve into a Matrix agent type guy in DDA. I'm guessing one of those guys is Williams? Maybe even a Jeff or Roper? Not sure. I'm sure you'd be better at speculating. I'm guessing those are generic ninjas, and not the same as the NES DD ninjas? Who the heck is that red monster guy?
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Got a little free time here at work so I can go through the character select screen for you:

Row 1:

Billy, Jimmy, Williams, Afrobo (Abobo with fro), Abobo

Row 2:

Gibson (Baldie from DD3), Blonde Agent Steve, Purple Haired Williams, Mohawk Abobo, Burnov

Row 3:

Roper (Arcade DD 1), Black Agent, Agent Smith, Fat Duck King, Angel Anime Sword Girl

Row 4:

Red Ninja, Blue Ninja, Linda (sporting her fro from DD1 arcade, but purple), Demon Mask Guy, Big Boss Willy Mackey

--------------

The variations of the different williams and roper type guys all do different things. For example one of them can only pick up knives and bats, the other ones can pick up barrels, one of them throws dynamite, etc.

The two ninjas both have a teleport but one throws multiple shuriken that combo while the other throws one big shuriken that floors you on impact. The Afrobo and Mohawk Abobo I can't really tell the differences with, but THE Abobo has the ability to guard and that super attack you saw when he went all shadowy and smashed the ground in my video.

Also much like DD:A no Jeff =( Granted he probably would've just been Billy Lee in green clothes, but I felt like this game would've given him something to set him apart from the Dragons even if it was just one or two moves.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

I know it's not good to double post BUT I come bearing gifts!

Dojomaster, for the site I ripped the soundtrack to Double Dragon Zeebo.

It isn't anything special as they're just super synthesized versions of a lot of the DD1 music (I personally like the nes renditions better in some of the cases lol) but it isn't terrible AND there are 2 new tunes as well. Thought it'd be cool for you to host if only to be the most complete Double Dragon site out there!

Like I said before I'm making a tutorial/how to play vid for the game as well to show off some of the new mechanics and such so that should be done soon. But in the mean time, enjoy the OST!

(Hmm, I tried to upload it using the forum attatchment but I'm not sure if 16mb is too big or my connection is bad lol, either way I upped it to sendspace for now so ppl can get it!)

Double Dragon Zeebo OST-
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d4fd7d
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

That's great. Thanks so much. I'll enjoy listening to that.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman: thanks for the character list, and this whole thread:) I definitely cant wait to see the rest of the levels on youtube. I feel lame for having dismissed DDZ in my entry about my love of DD, as upon closer inspection and seeing your video this looks like a wonderful new addition to the series. I'm just stuck on whether to see this as a remake, remix or sequel! heh

Hmm, I wonder if the characters even have official names within the development company. I always thought it was odd how there were different looking versions of each character(like how "Roper" is both a black and a white dude)...also how everyone mistakenly calls Bolo "Abobo", when Abobo is the Mr T guy.

Also thanks for posting the OST! Hopefully someday in one form or another this game will be made available for those without a physical Zeebo console.
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman, youre not gonna believe this. Basically, Aksys is porting a version of the DD Zeebo by Brizo to the iphone:

official ddi trailer/gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LLvrgGLUek
(looks like it plays just like ddz cept with sparkly effects)

pix of ddi:
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-a ... 36706#main

thread(originally posted by Dan)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4802

Im guessing its gonna play pretty close to the Zeebo one, just with different levels.
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

=O!!!!!!!!

That one looks even crazier then the zeebo one if only because they have Supers plus a few new moves (like the should ram jimmy does after the launcher).

WOW!! Im sooo hyped! I have an iphone too so it's on! Here's to hoping they allow bluetooth controls as well since there's an app that allows you to use your wiimote and by extension your wii classic ontroller on the iphone!
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Rockman wrote:=O!!!!!!!!

That one looks even crazier then the zeebo one if only because they have Supers plus a few new moves (like the should ram jimmy does after the launcher).

WOW!! Im sooo hyped! I have an iphone too so it's on! Here's to hoping they allow bluetooth controls as well since there's an app that allows you to use your wiimote and by extension your wii classic ontroller on the iphone!

oh crap, you dont have to use the touchscreen "d-pad" to play? That is way cool, as seeing videos of iphone Streets of Rage, while it looks beautiful as a classic...a person's fingers take up a large portion of the screen. The announcement that two can play is very very cool. It looks like the levels are wholly different than the Zeebo one, but the character sprites look almost identical to me. Did you notice any enemies not on DDZ? I'm excited about what other features and levels DDI will have.

I noticed a pattern since DDA in 2003. You have DDA, DDEX(mobile), DDZ and now DDI. And all of them start off on the slums and end with the usual inner sanctum temple hideout, yet in between are exclusive levels. I also notice "Matrix" Steve is in ddi and in most of these. I have noticed that the DD series has lost its epic feel that DD2 NES and SDD SNES had. Meaning in DD2 NES there's helicopters you ride, a giant machine, and all kinds of crazy stuff. I always imagined what the DD2 NES game would have been like with the arcade graphics. Strangely, DD2 NES has some of the best coloring of the entire series. SDD also kind of feels epic, going from the streets of vegs and an airport tarmac to all sorts of other locales.

I'm hoping they'll have a full fledged site, some hype and maybe even a promotional stuff. But as the first new DD game stateside in 8 years, this is rather exciting and big news for the DD community:)
Rockman
Green Belt

Post by Rockman »

Ok I FINALLY finished my tutorial video!

Shout out to double dragon dojo in the beginning of the vid and on the videos title on youtube, trying to swing some love this way!

The video covers all of the basics, the crouching system, stun system, weapons and the juggle mechanics!

I also feel kinda bad because I know you (namely mechapop) wanted to see more of the stages, but most if not all of the tutorial takes place on stage 1 lol. But no worries I'm gonna do a pure play through tomorrow and upload it as soon as I'm done since they'll be no pesky editing in the way. Anyhow, I hope you guys enjoy this and afterward I'm going to get on the review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N_cMoceAss

Not gonna lie, the hype for Double Dragon Iphone literally carried me through this edit as I was a bit tired lol.

Later!
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

mechapop wrote:I always imagined what the DD2 NES game would have been like with the arcade graphics.

There is actually a fan game, designed to be exactly that. It's called Double Dragon Extreme.

There is an Ultimate Ownage review of it, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZUtYyUCWA

You can also see some screenshots, at http://www.vazcomics.org/mamend/gamend/mods/ddex.htm . You'll have to scroll down a bit, though - It goes through DD 1 and 2, before getting to DDX.

Having said all that, the PC Engine version of DD2 is pretty dead-on.