Re: Nostalga with video games

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

I can tell you why DD was important and why we love it so but how much of it is down to nostalga? I mean the games are far from perfect and I wouldn't claim anything but. As the saying goes, "nostalga ain't what it used to be". But it was still extremely inspirational, instantly memorable and, at least when it came out, extremely unique. Meanwhile, I can probably make a list of games I used to enjoy that have either aged badly or were just plain bad in the first place (see Pitfighter).

What's disturbing about the internet though is that you can read comments from people who will claim until they're blue in the face that something was good or even worse, "better than anything today", when it was always dreadful full stop! The only reason they like *insert anything that came out when they were very young here* is because they didn't know any better.

Don't believe me? Look at the following. Possibly the worst use of a licence ever bar Superman 64 but don't just watch the thing, just read the comments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dHRmsRq154

I don't know what's scarier. The fact that people thought that this was good or that they were 10 when it came out!
BloodyChamp
Yellow Belt

Post by BloodyChamp »

There actually is a South Park game that's pretty highly regarded by most but I don't think this was it. I genuinely hate discussing video games in any way, shape or form except this way in a small, nostalgic venue where people get along. Some of the people on gamefaqs and youtube are just...ack. Then, as far as real life, well...quite frankly some of the people I know who game alot scare me.
Steve Halfpenny

The funniest thing is that Trey Parker and Matt Stone (creators of South Park) are MASSIVE video game fans and yet they HATE this game! South Park deserved better. Not some crappy quickly knocked up FPS based on Turok!
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

I actually heard that there was a flash game, starring the anime-style ninja characters, from the South Park episode "Good Times with Weapons" (which was an awesome ep, by the way).

Does anyone know anything about that one?
Steve Halfpenny

Yeah. You mean...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park ... fense_Play!

I heard it's not amazing but better than the original FPS.

What we needed was a Konami TMNT / Simpsons style beat em up! That would have went down a treat! :D
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

I hated the N64 graphics, and thankfully never owned that system. To me 16-bit still looks amazing and ages well(such as many SNES games, like Super R-Type_
I feel immensely grateful to have been old enough to have enjoyed the full splendor of early to late 80's arcade splendor. I enjoyed the early Midway, Atari and Namco games...but it's really 1986
with Outrun, Vs Nintendo games, Rolling Thunder that I really fell in love with arcade games. And to me 1987-1989 is just a period of PURE ecstacy arcade gaming wise.

I remember in the summer of 1987 and 1988 being absolutely obsessed with Double Dragon. Id enjoy just watching people go through the game. I remember Christmas of 1988 I was visiting my cousin near San Diego(I was almost 11 at the time), I almost fainted when I saw the Tiger Double Dragon handheld at Kay Bee and then a few feet away I encountered Double Dragon 2. Sure, it was pretty much a futuristic looking remake of the first one from the year prior, but I was in love. I used to say 1989 was my favorite year of gaming, but thinking back I really think it was 1988....what with NARC, Double Dragon 1 and 2, Bad Dudes,
The Ninja Warriors, Toobin, Ninja Gaiden, Rabbit Punch, etc.

The whole "rose colored glasses" thing may apply to some things, but I still get giddy just seeing MAME screenshots of arcade games from this period. Admittedly, compared to Final Fight or many other side scroller brawlers, Double Dragon moves extremely slow and sluggish. But there was something magical about it. The moves, the sounds...heck it was the first video game I ever "beat". I remember how excited I was May of 1988 when my friend brought to class the then latest issue of Nintendo Fun Club(wayyy cooler than Nintendo Power) which had a two page spread on the NES Double Dragon. First time I learned the names of the characters(I just thought it was Spike, Hammer and then we'd make up names for the other characters)

I was very very dismayed when "Double Dragon 3" came out in 1990. To this day I can't bring myself to look or play that game, as it just feels absolutely no connection to the series. It seems like Technos was trying to do some odd version of Crime Fighters, but with a really nasty quarter eating scam factor. The NES game feels more like a true sequel, but the graphics feel so primitive and the game was insanely tough. So I kind of just pretend there is no DD3, and the series skips to Super Double Dragon(which I LOVE), and then Neo Geo Double Dragon 1995(Im glad I never played that "Double Dragon V" monstrosity)

I was at once beyond excited with Double Dragon Advance for the GBA, but disappointed at the muddy colors and the redoing of the character art. I LOVVVE the look of the Bill and Jimmy sprites in DD1 and DD2, and am sad they never once returned to that style after that.

Given there's a Sonic 4, Contra 4...I'm really surprised there isnt a proper sequel to Double Dragon for the Nintendo DS or Wii Ware. I kind of enjoyed the pseudo predacessor Renegade(and its unofficial fake-quel Target Renegade), Combatribes, the Rushing Beat trilogy...but Double Dragon and Final Fight will always be my favorite brawler series.

As far as South Park, I think I like some of the more modern episodes(2006-present) than the original stuff. Never played the games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Steve Halfpenny

mechapop wrote:I hated the N64 graphics, and thankfully never owned that system. To me 16-bit still looks amazing and ages well(such as many SNES games, like Super R-Type

I had a problem with N64 graphics too. When I first saw Mario 64, it was incredible and unlike anything else. But soon, everything started to look so simple and blocky and in such a low resolution also. Meanwhile, 16-bit graphics appear to have aged better; R-Type is a very good example actually of how lush and perfect sprites can be.

I had an N64 for around six months. It was a good machine and had some great games. Like most of Nintendo's consoles though, arguably all of them, 90% of the third party releases were rotten. So much for the Nintendo seal of approval.

mechapop wrote:Given there's a Sonic 4, Contra 4...I'm really surprised there isnt a proper sequel to Double Dragon for the Nintendo DS or Wii Ware. I kind of enjoyed the pseudo predacessor Renegade(and its unofficial fake-quel Target Renegade), Combatribes, the Rushing Beat trilogy...but Double Dragon and Final Fight will always be my favorite brawler series.

Nice to see another Rushin' Beat fan around here... ;)

mechapop wrote:As far as South Park, I think I like some of the more modern episodes(2006-present) than the original stuff.

I find the actual show far better than it was during the height of its popularity (funny that. The movie is still good however). Watching all the episodes back, they seemed to find their own niche when they started to avoid the Python-esque surreal humour (which admittedly is still sometimes present) and went for more a satrical take on whatever was happening at the time (it's amazing that it takes just days to make a show). Though saying that, the best shows are the ones that age well and tend to feature the kids just messing around at school (I watched 'The List' again last night and thought it was utterly hilarious).
mechapop
Red Belt

Post by mechapop »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
mechapop wrote:I hated the N64 graphics, and thankfully never owned that system. To me 16-bit still looks amazing and ages well(such as many SNES games, like Super R-Type

I had a problem with N64 graphics too. When I first saw Mario 64, it was incredible and unlike anything else. But soon, everything started to look so simple and blocky and in such a low resolution also. Meanwhile, 16-bit graphics appear to have aged better; R-Type is a very good example actually of how lush and perfect sprites can be.

I had an N64 for around six months. It was a good machine and had some great games. Like most of Nintendo's consoles though, arguably all of them, 90% of the third party releases were rotten. So much for the Nintendo seal of approval.

mechapop wrote:Given there's a Sonic 4, Contra 4...I'm really surprised there isnt a proper sequel to Double Dragon for the Nintendo DS or Wii Ware. I kind of enjoyed the pseudo predacessor Renegade(and its unofficial fake-quel Target Renegade), Combatribes, the Rushing Beat trilogy...but Double Dragon and Final Fight will always be my favorite brawler series.

Nice to see another Rushin' Beat fan around here... ;)

mechapop wrote:As far as South Park, I think I like some of the more modern episodes(2006-present) than the original stuff.

I find the actual show far better than it was during the height of its popularity (funny that. The movie is still good however). Watching all the episodes back, they seemed to find their own niche when they started to avoid the Python-esque surreal humour (which admittedly is still sometimes present) and went for more a satrical take on whatever was happening at the time (it's amazing that it takes just days to make a show). Though saying that, the best shows are the ones that age well and tend to feature the kids just messing around at school (I watched 'The List' again last night and thought it was utterly hilarious).

Man, you're speaking my language here on all fronts:)

Looking back on the mid-late 90's gaming period, while the PS1(like the Saturn) had the muddy graphics that didnt age too well either...given the large volume of games(especially "M" titles) I just found more appealing on there. The first Crash Bandicoot games stick out to me(with Activision now, though they don't use him much and I miss when he was Sony's mascot), Resident Evil 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid,
etc. are such classics as well as Twisted Metal. Some games even still look good(sort of, imho) from the PS1 days, such as Strider 2 and Einhander. I do have some fond memories of the N64, even tho a lot of the graphics bugged me(like the beloved Goldeneye) But games like the THQ WCW wrestling games I remember fondly with its full customization, Star Fox 64, Yoshis Island 64, Rampage 64, and Mario Kart 64.
To me a game that still looks absolutely gorgeous despite it being from the SNES 16 years ago is The Ninja Warriors Again by Taito:
http://www.retrogameoftheday.com/2010/0 ... -snes.html
Yeah R-Type definitely was something to behold, I remember being in awe of it's beautifully grotesque bio-mechanical look when it debuted in arcades. It's sad a lot of the companies I loved and grew up with
in the 80's and early 90's arcade scene are no more(at least game wise) Data East, Technos, Taito, etc.

Ha, thanks. I don't think I've ever ran into a Rushing Beat fan online before. I think my favorite would be "Brawl Brothers", despite the smaller graphics, just for the fun 2 player hijinx. I think it's funny how the first was called "Rival Turf" yet featured a couple of 3rd graders on the cover. So many of the Final Fight clones seem forgettable(there has to be at least 30 of them made from 1989 to 1995 that came and went) Some of them are too bizarre too forget tho(like Knuckle Bash)

And yeah, I totally agree...while I love the 1999 South Park film and consider it a classic, it really seems like it's not until 2004 that the show begins to find its true calling. And it's about 2005/2006 when I found it to really come into its own(tho admittedly I haven't watched it in awhile) I used to be a big Family Guy fan, but I've been drawn back to the Simpsons since it went HD, and am continually impressed with how much smarter(and even at times, in its own nuanced way) and subversive it can be.
http://www.youtube.com/user/badicalpower/videos
(my adult swimlike animated series)
Steve Halfpenny

I agree that Brawl Brothers, as its known in the US, or Rushin' Beat Ran, in Japan, is easily the best of the series. The Japanese version is superior mind, as with all of those Jaleco games. They especially screwed up the third game for no good reason (graphics, music, the works).