Article for the 10th Year Anniversary of the Dojo!

The place to talk everything Double Dragon.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

Steve Halfpenny

Article for the 10th Year Anniversary of the Dojo!

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Okay, to heck with it! I'm getting started on this article / interview for the 10th year anniversary of the dojo! Here we'll answer the same questions and work it interview style to figure out why we all love Double Dragon in the first place! Really it's completely ripped off a Retro Gamer article called 'Let's All Play...' but it works well for them. Everybody feel free to PM me your answers to keep it private until it's finished (posting on here will spoil it). I'm thinking of calling it 'The last fans of the Lee Bros' or something but anybody with a better title, feel free to let us know.

Anyway, on with the interegation! (Note - this is all for the original DD or the first DD you saw) And for each question... Feel free to write more than a paragraph! Let's avoid boring one or two lines, eh?

First Impressions
What it says on the tin. What did you first think when you saw DD, where were you, what version did you see, did you play it... etc, etc!

Billy or Jimmy?
Did you tend to be Billy or Jimmy? Did you prefer a one or two player game? Elebarate, particullar stories would be good.

Favourite Move
Self explanatory.

Best Boss
Ditto. What's good / bad about him?

Favourite Stage
And why?

Best Moment
Could relate to a gameplay moment (Abobo smashes through the wall!) or something from the other games (the moment I played DD2 for the NES and realised it was a completely different game to the arcade, etc)

Why We Love It So
Nothing more to say here...

The Legacy
Any feelings, one way or another to the other DD games and / or games that were influenced by DD?

Discovering the Dojo
How, when and why did you find the Dojo? Did it surprise you to find fan sites on such a game / series years later?

In Retrospect
We may have loved it back in 1987 but what about in 2010? Is it still relevant today?
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Re: Article for the 10th Year Anniversary of the Dojo!

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

I've tried and tried to send a PM, but am having no luck!

Is it too late?
Steve Halfpenny

Nah. I have your PM but alas, nothing from anybody else.

Try e mailing them to Psycho_Ste@Hotmail.com if it doesn't work.

Anybody else out there?! We can give it more time...
GamerExx
White Belt

Post by GamerExx »

It was 1987,I was barely 5 years old at the time.I had a Nintendo which was rare amongst my friends.This was all back when 711 always had 2 arcade cabinets and the ones at the time was slam masters and operation wolf.My older brother and I would spent hours trying to beat operation wolf then walk home and talk about how we were going to kick the games ass next time.
One weekend an arcade opened Up town; and my brother already and arcade Junky, mentored me around the different games.After playing all the different games we ended up on double dragon and prisoner of war.I was exited because I was into martial arts as was most kids at the time.I played as spike,Tommy played as hammer,and we made it to the bridge before we ran out of quarters.I went home really hyped and exited that I started to dream about it that night,I dreamed I was Spike and my brother was Hammer and we kicked the bad guys' asses all night.
Next weekend came and we were back at the arcade but this time we made a beeline right for Double Dragon and started playing right away.After defeating what the peanut gallery called "machine gun willy"I thought we beat the game,but lone behold we had to fight for who would be later known as Mariam, Of course My brother won-cheater-and he got the girl.I remember it so vaguely because i remember asking Tommy why we had to fight?He said "because only 1 man can have the girl"It perplexed me because I didn't know about that stuff then but it bugged me why my 2 new favorite heroes would have to fight each other,I would find out later when we got Double Dragon on Nintendo that spike and hammer are billy and jimmy and jimmy is a bad guy yada yada.But thats another story.....
Attachments
Ninja.1.GIF
Ninja.1.GIF (2.79 KiB) Viewed 17080 times
Childhooddays.jpg
Childhooddays.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 17080 times
Steve Halfpenny

Don't blow it, man! E mail it over!

I think once I have something from Dojomaster, we're done! If anyone sends in their results before this, I will add you too!
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

I'll give it just a bit more time. I'm sure some people will continue to send stuff over, and the more the merrier.
Billy Lee
Black Belt

Post by Billy Lee »

Censored by Mr Halfpenny :D
Steve Halfpenny

Thanks for your contribution Mr Lee and it will be included, but you really should have read my first post properly ;).
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

I will be submitting my response pretty soon here, then we'll get this information posted. Did anyone get a hold of Johnny Undaunted and get him to do it also?
Steve Halfpenny

I thought of Johnny straight away. It doesn't seem right without him. Nobody knows more about Technos than that guy.