[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Double Dragon Dojo Forums • View topic - Retro Games You'd Like To See Sequeled/Remade/Remixed

Double Dragon Dojo Forums

The discussion area for "the greatest martial arts series ever."
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retro Games You'd Like To See Sequeled/Remade/Remixed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:18 am 
Red Belt

Feeling excited after seeing the DD iphone game trailer, I'm curious what other games you feel are in desperate need of a sequel, remake or remix?

In the last decade I've seem some amazing sequels/remakes to late 80's games I love. From Contra 4, Contra Rebirth, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Outrun 2, modern After Burner and River City Random EX and Wii Rampage to the so-so Alien Syndrome Wii, Commando 3, 2007 3d Chase HQ...to simply horrid titles like that 2002 gba Shinobi game and the Altered Beast gba sequel.

Here's my list of ten games I'd LOVE to see given the update:

1. NARC(as in a 2d side scroller remake/sequel)
2. Strider(preferably a 2.5d Strider 3)
3. The Ninja Warriors(maybe a third one?)
4. Final Fight(side scroller, not 3d or VS)
5. Bad Dudes(Two Crude Dudes doesnt count)
6. Heavy Barrel(man oh man I love this game!)
7. Eswat(LOVE the arcade game, but found the Genesis sequel way too tedious)
8. Toobin(would be PERFECT for the Wii)
9. Golden Axe(again, 2d!)
10.Smash TV(I'd buy that for a dollar!)

and bonus mention...

Xevious(done up Don Don Pachi/Cave/Touho style!)

Post subject: Re: Retro Games You'd Like To See Sequeled/Remade/Remixed
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'll second that vote for Golden Axe and Smash TV. How about a 3D Rampage with a sandbox design?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:29 am 

I think I've mentioned some before. Smash TV absolutely gets the nod and there is absolutely nothing like that out there right now and would definitely fit in with the current batch of online downloads (i.e. many crazy shoot em ups).

Rampage in a sandbox design? You mean like isometric 3D? If that was kept at the correct pace, that sounds pretty good. They would have to solve the major problem with the game though in that it gets way too repetitive too quickly. But way back when I have to admit being a fan.

I think it's about time Namco wised up and realised that Pac-Land happened. It's been criminally overlooked since one of the old Namco Museum collections and a whole new update with speed trials and various modes would lend itself greatly to the obsessive leaderboard types currently found on XBox Live. Look what they've done to Pac-Man and Galaga! Surely it's the logical next step.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

It wouldn't have to be isometric. It could be free camera style like GTA 3.

I suppose as long it borrowed some elements from GTA (the ability to piss off the cops and local/national government, get attacked by the army) that would make it interesting. But they'd have to modify the simple goal of simply destroying everything in sight. Just a thought that has been floating around in my head.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:26 pm 
Red Belt

Just found out Konami recently released a pretty sweet looking side scrolling prequel to Contra Hard Corps, made by the artists behind Blaz Blu

"Hard Corps Uprising"
http://www.konami.com/games/hardcorps/

So can't wait to play this! Looks like they're trying to branch the Hard Corps spinoff into it's own franchise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

It's strange that they dropped the Contra name for this game. I don't know why they did that.

Contra Rebirth was excellent, but it should have been longer and included an online co-op mode. I hope I get the chance to play this new game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 am 
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The Castlevania Adventure (from Game Boy back in 1989) was remade for WiiWare, but I'm not aware of any new remakes. There have been quite a few notable ones though (Punch-Out!! for Wii, for instance).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 pm 
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

The three Rebirth games that are available are: Gradius, Contra and Castlevania. All of them are quite good (I have beaten all of them. Very enjoyable).

Nintendo also released Excitebike World Rally which took old-school Excitebike and gave it polygonal graphics and online multiplayer. Tons of fun there as well.

There's Blaster Master Overdrive as well, but I haven't tried it.