Streets of Rage 2 opinions...

The area for all those other video games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

oxe161
Yellow Belt

Re: Streets of Rage 2 opinions...

Post by oxe161 »

Genesis had the arcade version of AVP, while SNES had that horrid one.
And Sega Saturn had a pretty good beat em up called guardian heroes that let you play up to 6 people
"If the illusion spreads, the evil will live again. but if two dragons soar through the sky, an angel will fall to the Earth
Riki Kunio
Yellow Belt

Post by Riki Kunio »

I would say that a big part is nostalgia since everything is usually better through memories. The music is good but overall there is not enough move variety for me. I prefer classic beat em ups like Double Dragon, River City Ransom or even modern takes like Castle Crashers and Guilty Gear Judgment. Even with friends, one button attacks just don't keep me coming back over and over again.
Eddie MountainGoat
Red Belt

Post by Eddie MountainGoat »

Jonny2x4 wrote:If anything, Axel's more of a Cody clone and I always thought of Cody and Guy as Capcom's answer to Billy and Jimmy.

THANKYOU. That was my initial reaction, the very first time I saw Final Fight.

To be fair, it wasn't just Capcom that did it. After Double Dragon, there were innumerable Sidescrollers, featuring a blue-wearing, blonde guy as Player 1 (or the balanced fighter, if attributes were selectable), and a red-wearing, dark-haired guy as Player 2 (or the speedy fighter, if attributes were selectable).

(Sprites from Double Dragon, Final Fight and Ninja Gaiden found at scrollboss. The P.O.W.s and Combatribe rips are my work. Who recognises the background?)

One notable difference with SOR, is a particular Sega tradition: The woman in red and the speedy fighter are one and the same, rather than her being the damsel in distress (Sega also did this with Golden Axe).

I had a Genesis back in the day, and I felt that SOR2 was the best console-based sidescroller, of its time. It did feel like an outright Final Fight rip-off, but that never bothered anyone. And I still think the music is awesome. Plus, if I remember correctly, Final Fight was only one-player.

As for FF3, I'm not sure if Dean is an Axel-riff, but I think that Lucia is a Blaze-riff, or maybe even a Blaze-and-Axel-riff. Lucia's stance and clothing are pretty much Blaze's, from SOR3. But her blue palette and short, blonde hair are Axel's. Well, really Cody's. Well, really really Billy's. You get the point.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

Eddie MountainGoat wrote:
Jonny2x4 wrote:If anything, Axel's more of a Cody clone and I always thought of Cody and Guy as Capcom's answer to Billy and Jimmy.

Plus, if I remember correctly, Final Fight was only one-player.

On the SNES.

Capcom have used some of their own creative minds on Cody and Guy. They're not outright copies. SoR on the other hand...
DinLee
Purple Belt

Post by DinLee »

How did I miss this thread? I love SoR, it's my favorite beat 'em up of all time. I cannot deny that it's a big rip of Final Fight (this became much more apparent in SoR2 imo) from the sounds of it the makers were Capcom fans, at one point in sor2's beta axel had cody's hurricane kick and Sagats Tiger uppercut, blaze rips off chunli with her fireball, max is an obvious haggar rip off and there were two bosses in particular that ripped from capcom games, zamza was a blanka clone and there's a predator boss in the gg version of sor2.

What I loved most about the SoR series is the many references and tidbits you can find in this game it's crazy. The gameplay was pretty smooth in SoR2 and somewhat in BK3 I do wish there were more moves, Bare Knuckle Mobile was a remake of SoR1 and it added some new moves, too bad there was no SoR sequel to add them to. I'll stop here I'd be going on forever! :D
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting
wildebeast
Black Belt

Post by wildebeast »