Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

The place for all the fan-made Double Dragon games.

Moderators: Steve Halfpenny, Jonny2x4

JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

Post by JimmyLee »

Brizo Interactive is apparently the new owner of the franchise. I have e-mailed them to get permission to distribute the game, and this is the answer:

Mr. Cleber

My name is Ryosuke Jinno, a marketing direcotr of
Brizo Interactive.

Regarding your inquiry, our answer is as below.
What you are doing is a software piracy and it's against the law.

1.You must immediately stop developing Double Dragon Forever.

2.You must immediately stop publishing/distributing Double
Dragon Forevery on any platform at any time.

Your were supposed to ask us BEFORE you develop or
plan any games concerning Double Dragon.

The rights of "Double Dragon" has been already acquired exclusively
and there'll be no room for you to get the new one.

Please proceed above mentioned at once and let me know.

- Ryosuke Jinno

Sorry, DD fans. It's over.
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Re: Double Dragon Forever is over (bad news)

Post by DojoMaster »

Sorry to hear that. Fan games are always dangerous though because you're playing around with someone else's intellectual property and naturally, corporations want to protect their copyrights.

I guess the best way to make a fan game is to not use the Double Dragon universe but to instead create your own (even if it's very similar).

You could always salvage the game by cleansing all references to Double Dragon. That might require a lot more work though.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Well, the engine is complete. I won't be working on it anymore, unless I find another use for it.
If anyone wants to develop new media for it, as long as it's not for profit, go for it.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

JimmyLee wrote:Your were supposed to ask us BEFORE you develop or

Please don't take this the wrong way but I find it incredibly hard to believe that a professional company of any kind would say anything like this. It just sounds utterly ridiculous.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Yeah I agree. I had to read it four times before I could believe it. Well, the guy is japanese, maybe he didn't express himself very well.

Maybe next they will close all fan-movies, all fangames and all fan websites. I wonder who will they sell DD games to after that.

Anyway, if anyone feels unhappy with Brizo Interactive's decision, just tell them:

http://www.brizo-interactive.com

info-mobile (at) brizo-interactive.com

ryosuke-jinno (at) brizo-interactive.com

Sadly, I give up on Double Dragon.
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
JimmyLee wrote:Your were supposed to ask us BEFORE you develop or

Please don't take this the wrong way but I find it incredibly hard to believe that a professional company of any kind would say anything like this. It just sounds utterly ridiculous.

It's not unheard of. Nintendo shut down a fan-made Zelda film this year. The news post is somewhere on NintendoLife.com.

Companies are being very protective of their intellectual property rights.

I think the way the message was communicated was because the sender was Japanese, like somebody already noted.
Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny »

DojoMaster wrote:It's not unheard of. Nintendo shut down a fan-made Zelda film this year. The news post is somewhere on NintendoLife.com.

I think the way the message was communicated was because the sender was Japanese, like somebody already noted.

I know that. It's the way they've put that. It sounds like a five year old. I've spoken to people from Japanese companies and broken English and whatnot is fair enough. But I can't see Nintendo or anybody repuatable wording it like that. It's like saying "oh sure. You could have made your fan game BUT YOU HAD TO TELL US FIRST!" It's almost like me asking Capcom if it's okay to make Street Fighter wallpaper for my laptop background.

Yes, it's just an opinion but the truth is it's JUST a fan game. It's not for financial gain. Why go after somebody who even tells you what they're doing that is in no way whatsever damaging your properties? George Lucas give some fanboy the rights to use the Star Wars soundtrack for a fan film. Meanwhile, you have rock bands who let fans tape their gigs and give away bootlegs. They understand one thing. Surely there's bigger fish to fry.

Disclaimer - Obviously this is just me and I'm not arguing against the law here, nor am I encourging the creator to continue with his game or not. That's up to him. But it's Brizo who are clearly very insecure.
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

Mr.Cleber

Thanks for your understanding.
I saw your blog had been updated.

Atlus do not have copyrights over Double Dragon;
it used to though, on GameBoy platform but no more.

To develop the great game for Double Dragon fans,
let us take care of it. We won't disappoint you.

Thanks again, for your understanding and
for being Doulbe Dragon fans.

- Ryosuke Jinno
DojoMaster
Site Admin

Post by DojoMaster »

Steve Halfpenny wrote:
DojoMaster wrote:It's not unheard of. Nintendo shut down a fan-made Zelda film this year. The news post is somewhere on NintendoLife.com.

I know that. It's the way they've put that. It sounds like a five year old. I've spoken to people from Japanese companies and broken English and whatnot is fair enough. But I can't see Nintendo or anybody repuatable wording it like that. It's like saying "oh sure. You could have made your fan game BUT YOU HAD TO TELL US FIRST!" It's almost like me asking Capcom if it's okay to make Street Fighter wallpaper for my laptop background.

Yes, it's just an opinion but the truth is it's JUST a fan game. It's not for financial gain. Why go after somebody who even tells you what they're doing that is in no way whatsever damaging your properties? George Lucas give some fanboy the rights to use the Star Wars soundtrack for a fan film. Meanwhile, you have rock bands who let fans tape their gigs and give away bootlegs. They understand one thing. Surely there's bigger fish to fry.

Disclaimer - Obviously this is just me and I'm not arguing against the law here, nor am I encourging the creator to continue with his game or not. That's up to him. But it's Brizo who are clearly very insecure.

I'm not trying to defend them necessarily, I'm just pointing out that companies seem to be doing this now. It's not that I agree with it, it's just that I see what their point of view is and why they're doing it.

I just saw the new email you posted Cleber. It sure would be nice if this company was developing a new game for the American/European/Japanese market and not just Brazil.

By the way, how did they find out about your game? Did they contact you first, or did you contact them?
JimmyLee
Purple Belt

Post by JimmyLee »

I have contacted them first.

As they have released the latest DD game I heard of, I have asked if they bought the franchise, and asked if they could give me permission to distribute my fangame for free.

Brizo called me a PIRATE and told me to stop developing and distributing the game.

A couple of years before, I have e-mailed Atlus many times to ask, but they never answered me.

More serious gaming companies like Sega officially don't mind about fangames. And there are a lot of Sonic fangames around. Capcom actually endorses fangames.